Project CARS 2 4K Gameplay Video: AMG GT3 Tackles Fuji

Without taking every single pixel under the virtual loop and realising I'm just watching this on my 1080p PC screen, it doesn't look that much different than all those other Fuji HD videos out there IMO. I think whatever PC systems SMS provided at the Mercedes Ice Track reveal event wasn't far off from what these utra settings are now.

Nevertheless it looks great and I can't wait for this game! (not because of the visuals but more for the dozens of features)

I don't see enough for me to want to switch from PCars GOTY just yet, I may wait for the price to come down on this one. I know it's not going to look this good on the vanilla PS4, as this was recorded on a gaming PC.

Last edited:
:) Looks great! And the AI behaviour seems better than PC 1, not that twitchy when another car is coming too close, so i like what i see :).

Edit.

And the sound from the audience is new, isn't it? I can't remember hearing the audience in PC 1.

Last edited:
Was very happy when heard there will be PC2, but now when I see it, seems like they missed the point of sim racing, cars and tracks still looks the same as PC1 (meaning that there is no need for new game, rather than milking it, looking at other serious sim racing developers best of them make 1 game in 5+ years, some 1 game in life and update it CONSTANTLY!), car still floats around weirdly like in GTA game... this particular video was played on keyboard or something, so lets hope the car will at least handle like in Gran Turismo 5 level simulation..

Last edited:
Was very happy when heard there will be PC2, but now when I see it, seems like they missed the point of sim racing, cars and tracks still looks the same as PC1 (meaning that there is no need for new game, rather than milking it, looking at other serious sim racing developers best of them make 1 game in 5+ years, some 1 game in life and update it CONSTANTLY!), car still floats around weirdly like in GTA game... this particular video was played on keyboard or something, so lets hope the car will at least handle like in Gran Turismo 5 level simulation..

You do realize that there is far more to sim racing than visuals right? Things like, oh, I don't know.... PHYSICS and TIRE MODEL and TRACK SURFACE, and WEATHER. All of those items have been enhanced exponentially in the new game. Of all the tings that have been enhanced, VISUALS is by FAR the least important thing in a sim.

And oh God I hope the cars don't handle ANYTHING like the cars in GT.......

You do realize that there is far more to sim racing than visuals right? Things like, oh, I don't know.... PHYSICS and TIRE MODEL and TRACK SURFACE, and WEATHER. All of those items have been enhanced exponentially in the new game. Of all the tings that have been enhanced, VISUALS is by FAR the least important thing in a sim.

And oh God I hope the cars don't handle ANYTHING like the cars in GT.......

Coincidentally I just drove GT recently and that game is a dinosaur by comparison. This in terms of physics, FFB system, sound, visuals, AI, etc. It's dull, robotic and linear in how it feels. pCARS 2 is by far more dynamic and advanced in all those areas. It's like comparing Grand Prix Legends or the Geoff Crammond games versus Assetto Corsa.
I haven't had any GT Sport experience (don't have a PS4) but from what I've seen it won't even be able to reach pCARS 2 unless they seriously overhaul GT Sports right now. It is still the same old linear game with no dynamic weather, let alone a dynamic track as pCARS 2 has with LiveTrack 3.0. Which really adds a lot to the game, as you'll have to adjust your driving and pit strategy mid-race. The dry-line with rubber driven into the tarmac gets slippery... etc.

Dynamics... it makes a game exciting again on whole new levels, even the ears. ;)

Lets wait and see. I hope the game will have a great ffb and great game physics.
Yeah but I don't want it to have hundreds of confusing settings, like the first PCars.
You need a week off work to set everything correctly for the wheel.

Lets wait and see. I hope the game will have a great ffb and great game physics.

Well, all I can say is that in NO SIM have I felt a clear difference between tyres as in pCARS 2. I don't mean grip but the sheer difference of elasticity and so on.
It's like in real life when you switch from soft carcass Michelin tyres to hard carcass Bridgestone tyres. There's a clear difference in sensation you get from both of these brands in real life. It's a level of detail I never felt in any sim. In fact I'd almost think non other sim has properly modeled a dynamic flexible carcass before but rather used a rigid carcass or a carcass based on fixed variables.

Driving, racing, drifting or just happily tossing the car around the green hell never felt better or more real. :)

Yeah but I don't want it to have hundreds of confusing settings, like the first PCars.
You need a week off work to set everything correctly for the wheel.

Don't worry, that's dealt with already. It's as simple as a Orange Micro Terror guitar amp. :P

2902746d-d3a9-4cc4-b34b-d41e18935a8a.JPG

Last edited:
Would the driving game devs cut the insanity and perhaps utilize all that extra power and do some of this:

Track side details meaning from a trackday scene, almost no games recreate any of that. Heck the last time I saw anything remotely like a copy of the real thing was a mock up for GT called Vision Gran Turismo at 1:32 in the video you see a pit fully animated and not just there, behind the pit wall is also animated. Surprisingly it also shows in car camera.

Ambient noises meaning the area immediately next to the course and what happens within the arena would impact what you hear and mix in suitably.

Crowd noises, well this one is part of the mix but it should tend to increase, decrease and or follow the flow of lead car battles or crowd favorite. Crowd should also cheer when cars come by the stands, so race start should be suitably boisterous.

Wind and particle simulations for rain and spray, well while they had a good spray approximation in PJC, cars driving into it completely didn't affect it at all, also from first person all you got was misty fog that didn't actually do anything on the windshield.

What about courses with trees and grass, wind should affect these from wind pressure due to cars whipping by long grass to tree leaves swaying in mild and moderate wind and trees swaying when the wind really gets going and directional based(should also affect rain fall direction too.

This one is serious, most of these games seem like the courses exist in a void somewhere. Audio tends to never match the environment correctly, Nurburgring is one of the most awesome places to hear race autos at full bore. Listening to how cars are heard howling before they are even seen during live presentations is impressive. each course needs a sound scape that mimics the one the course is from. PJC and everyone else needs this, right now everyone sounds like they are in a huge empty area with car engines and exhaust notes blaring with all courses on exactly the same soundscape with the odd tunnel livening things up. The replay cameras doppler sound is also not so good in PJC, when the same type car fly by on camera the sound almost starts over instead of fading while the other approaching auto fades in as it approaches the camera.

Not sure about some of the others but the doppler sound isn't that computationally expensive because even PD was doing this on PS2 with GT3/4. The others may require simulations added and tweaks to already present simulation engines running. Either way these things would add a lot more to the game that wasting so much computational power to push 4 times HD visuals, heck supersample all the assets. These things would bring more organic feeling to driving games, why is everyone so stuck on 4K?

Sounds like you want a game that has all this pretty 'live' stuff, but can then only support 1 car on track as graphics is taking all the processing power.
Be careful what you wish for.

It's always a balance, chaps. You want the game to look appealing to generate interest of the customer, enough to actually choose your game above the others on the (digital) shelves. Nobody in this day and age would buy something that looked like Papyrus' Indianapolis 500 - The Game with the most mindblowing Physics engine, not while those other games look droolingly realistic that they just leave one standing in awe.
The other coin is that as the maker of a sim you want to further the realism of your game, and possibly try to go one step beyond what was previously held possible. Just so players would find renewed interest ones they finally get home and play it, only to hopefully get hooked for the next two years.

Sadly... there is only so much cheese, and when building multi-platform you even limit yourself to the smallest cheese. So your game needs to always run well on that minimum, thus you can only add so much non-scaling processing heavy bits to your game. Yet you don't wish to scale too much and create vastly different graphical experiences on all platforms you release on, else it won't be seen as the same game. In that way consoles/platforms can be a limiting factor on furthering your dream of making the ultimate game you can imagine.

So yeah, it's rough to balance appeal against immersion against hardware limits and every developer differs slightly in how they slice up the cheese so to speak. :)

Last edited:
At least the "Chase-cam" is still in good position, not as rotative nor as disturbing like in Assetto Corsa. I think AC should fix or give us un option to fix that camera. Also the wheel-butons configurations should be in Assetto Corsa like in Project Cars. That two little things should improve a lot the experience driving in this camera position.

In other hand, Project Cars 2 is not showing us in this video many things... We have to wait for an opinion with the new physics system ... It seems arcadish in this video and in the other from the interior too.

Good visuals is always a bonus - heck, the current version doesn't fare too shabbily either on consoles. BUT...

I'd rather they focus more processing power toward physics and CAR SOUNDS.

The video doesn't look much improved over PC1. They can throw all the 4k they like, that's not going to fix the bland lighting and dull look to the game. Hopefully the game plays much better.

Which really adds a lot to the game, as you'll have to adjust your driving and pit strategy mid-race. The dry-line with rubber driven into the tarmac gets slippery... etc.

That was in GT6 by the way. Drying lines, slippery rubber when wet etc.

The video doesn't look much improved over PC1. They can throw all the 4k they like, that's not going to fix the bland lighting and dull look to the game. Hopefully the game plays much better.

CARS1 has exceptionally good visuals, given the physics engine and 60 fps or near-60 fps. The lighting actually looks photorealistic, though not as "meaty" or full as FM. The cracks can be visible sometimes, but the game is far from dull or bland looking. Just don't compare it to any Forza game and you'll enjoy the visuals just fine. AC on consoles looks dull... that's dull!

I'm on X1 BTW, and CARS looks fantastic at any time of day. Don't like the banding in the sky though, but that's rare.

it looks like the max playback resolution of this posted YT vid in the article is 2K.

This one is 4K and looks jawdropping great. Just 6 months and then we can experience it ourselves

Last edited:
I just saved the YT video (4K, watched on 4K TV) from the article and link posted by @BrainsBush. I may be too old or my eyes need to see a doctor...but I dont see something special from the visuals. But still good enough.

it looks like the max playback resolution of this posted YT vid in the article is 2K.

This one is 4K and looks jawdropping great. Just 6 months and then we can experience it ourselves

Looks great but..
It's just me that sensation of contact glue is still there?

I haven't played GT6 much to be fair but indeed. Still it was just a preset in GT6 and wasn't fully dynamic like in pCARS 2. In GT6 you can easily remember where the grip is or isn't and drive a fixed line. In pC2 with LiveTrack 3.0 you have water flowing realistically, draining, evaporating, et cetera... and it's all local. It can rain on one part of the track while it's dry and sunny on the other side, clouds move realistically and throw shadows which again cools down the water, track and so on.

In short... unlike GT6 where every lap is the same, in pCARS 2 every lap is a new challenge as it's never fully the same. :)

Almost as funny as following these procedures, and then REPEAT for every single car in the game.

Well... it's massively simplified just like that. When SMS is ready I am sure all will be disclosed officially. :)
It's still the same old under the hood though, but unless you have the PC game and delve into files it will never bother you anymore.
You just get a bunch of flavors, dial in the few knobs to suite your liking and so things do not clip... done!

The most bothersome thing about setting up your wheel is assigning the buttons you wish to use for what. That takes massively longer to setup than the force feedback settings.

I have to say, this is looking more Arcady than ever, perhaps that just outside view of the car to depict console playing? Also, those Merc GT3 are ugly cars, use a Audi or Porsche GT3 at least! Maybe GT Sport will offer that true looking sim racer, perhaps handlings will be opposite

Well... it's massively simplified just like that. When SMS is ready I am sure all will be disclosed officially. :)
It's still the same old under the hood though, but unless you have the PC game and delve into files it will never bother you anymore.
You just get a bunch of flavors, dial in the few knobs to suite your liking and so things do not clip... done!

The most bothersome thing about setting up your wheel is assigning the buttons you wish to use for what. That takes massively longer to setup than the force feedback settings.
I play on Xbox One, not pc.

Looks good but... Again, in car driving please :)
Yeah makes me feel sick in 3rd person

I have to say, this is looking more Arcady than ever, perhaps that just outside view of the car to depict console playing? Also, those Merc GT3 are ugly cars, use a Audi or Porsche GT3 at least! Maybe GT Sport will offer that true looking sim racer, perhaps handlings will be opposite

I suppose they wanted to show off the surroundings better which explains the 3rd person view. You can also tell the guy's uising a controller.

CARS is going to be far from arcade.. you take that back mister :lol:.

GT probably won't break any ground in the physics dept. as they've always targeted a more casual racing audience. If it does go down the sim route one day, I might pick up the darn system just to own it.

On my player the framerate doesn't exactly look buttery smooth. That may be due to the encoding though.
But arcade? Come on! Even AC can look arcadeish when viewed from behind.

EDIT: Can't decide if it looks like "framerate stutter" or "micro stutter". Anyway, doesn't matter as long as the game itself is buttery smooth.

Latest Posts

Back