McLaren-Honda Announces World's Fastest Gamer Competition

That is interesting. The clip sound reminded me of the 919 Hybrid in Assetto Corsa.

#WFG... Will Fernando Go? That question is trending these days!

It must be some sort of GT Academy style initiative or a competition to win a McLaren or something. WFG is probably Worlds Fastest Gamer.

My guess is that is has something to do with the Formula One team, unless there isn't a separate page for McLaren Automotive (the makers of the F1, 12C, P1 570S, etc) and the Twitter page for both McLaren, the F1 team, and McLaren Automotive are one and the same.

Looks like an eSports competition to find their next simulator driver, and going by some of the footage it looks like it will take place on Forza (or a simulator based on it's engine)

it's probably got something to Do with a esports league within project cars 2 as that already has the f1 long tail and 720s and some classic f1 cars in it.

Slightly more info @ McLaren's website as to what this competition will be.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/201...-the-world-fastest-gamer-competition-5134287/

tl;dr so far - GT Academy knock-off, that'll value GPA and PR-worth more than actual speed (my interpretation), and will have a grand-prize of a 1-yr contract with the F1 team for simulator work.

Edit* WFG = World's Fastest Gamer, although 'Will Fernando Go?' works all too well. :lol:

Last edited:
Apart from the phone shot, the X-Box, the G920 and this grab are cueing to Forza seemingly.

FORZA.jpg

Looks like an eSports competition to find their next simulator driver, and going by some of the footage it looks like it will take place on Forza (or a simulator based on it's engine)

All of the game footage I saw in that (including the mobile phone, which was likely green screen substitution) was from Forza Motorsport 6.

Logitech was (and possibly still is) a key sponsor of the Forza Racing Championship.

Best to wait for more info of course but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Forza-based competition, at least for the public stage before some sort of a final is played on real McLaren simulators.

McLaren obviously cannot be part of the Forza Racing Championship this year as it's a Porsche Cup.

Also, I'm not surprised that Darren Cox is involved. He headed up GT Academy and currently owns the top eSports team in Forza.

10 places, 6 are invited and 4 from an online qualifier.
A good opportunity for the aliens but pretty lame for everyone else.

it's probably got something to Do with a esports league within project cars 2 as that already has the f1 long tail and 720s and some classic f1 cars in it.
That's what I originally assumed, esp. since Ian said they worked very, very closely with McLaren and were invited to capture most of their catalog of cars.

Of course now, with the footage shown, looks like it may be Forza.

Brilliant! I'm no alien so don't have a chance, but I can think of several fast guys on here that might. Good luck to all who enter.

:D

I dunno, I think McLaren has lost its shine for me. Bring back Ron and see if he can figure out this complete mess that they are in. I like the concept of what's going on with the gaming but it seems that they need to focus completely on getting that steaming pile working and not so much on outside stuff. Just MHO.

Essential requirements: Must have clean Driver's License, valid passport and be in Monaco 25-28th May 2017

Exactly what i was thinking. You win the gamer competition thinking you've just landed your dream job of Digital McLaren Test Driver. Next thing you know, you're on the grid at Monaco behind the wheel of a McLaren-Honda. Nobody deserves that. Sneaky Mclaren, sneaky.

I hope they take this seriously. But showing a controller and inviting "mobile" players makes me question that. You aren't going to find another Lucas or Jan with controllers and smartphones.

Back