Subaru WRX STI Type RA NBR Special, the New King of the Ring (For Now)

First Isle of Man and now the Ring. Subaru sure has a thing for pointless records lately don't they? :lol:

Yup, it's pointless and I'm not even sure how they can claim the title of "fastest sedan". It's more like "fastest four door racecar".

I'd bet that the marketing department is going to have a field day with it too when the production spec car comes out.

How very dare you sir !
It's totally relavent to the production car . I'm sure that blue is a standard colour .

It's a beautiful car, no doubt about that, but I don't care for these records when it's not road legal. It's just marketing for the slower street car. :/

Dan
It's a beautiful car, no doubt about that, but I don't care for these records when it's not road legal. It's just marketing for the slower street car. :/

Marketing for a car that it has no relevance to .

Probably about 150kg lighter
600 lb of extra downforce
Drs
A different engine with double the power
A 50k sequential gearbox
A 40k suspension setup
10k of lightweight wheels
3k of Dunlop slicks
Running a lap where no one else knows the start and finish point.

But other than that , yeah , totally relevant .

Jumping the shark is when something becomes cheesy or a bit. It comes from Happy Days when Fonzie jumped a shark tank with his motorcycle. Most people said that after that the show started to really go down hill.

It comes from Happy Days when Fonzie jumped a shark tank with his motorcycle.
He actually waterskiied over it.

The phrase - meaning a defining, pivotal moment at which something has deviated so far from its original formula that it is no longer recognisable or retrievable - has been in common use for around 20 years. It's been around long enough to be joined by the similar "nuked the fridge" - derived from a fairly obvious scene (given that descriptor) from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Nurb TTs are like the Bonneville Salt Flats for records. It's all bragging rights. At the end if the day, as the title reads, someone will top it some day.

Pointless marketing stunt or not, it's still pretty cool to see Subaru doing a lot with motorsports again. Isle of Man, this Nurburgring thing, and Travis Pastrana broke the Mt Washinton Climb to the Clouds hillclimb record, again. I, for one, have a ton of respect for companies building cars like this for no apparent reason other than to sell cars. That's why we buy cars like this!

I suppose they need to do something to draw attention from how the only notable increase from the STI from three generations ago is the level of ugliness.

A lot of the people in the Subaru groups I'm in are getting really salty that the STI stagnated long enough to let the Focus RS catch up. Some of them are even in denial that their great machine can be beat by a Ford Focus. But it's really not that hard when the car has become bigger and heavier with little increase in power in very long time.

I love Subaru but their STI division needs to find a way to squeeze at least another 100hp under the hood. In a world with 350hp hot hatches a 300hp Sedan just isn't going to stand out.

We've clarified what jumping the shark is but when did Nürburgring lap times become a cliche causing you to roll your eyes?
Was there a specific incidence?

So . When are we gonna see Ferrari let Vettel pedal his F1 car around the ring . Just to put an end to all this record nonsense ?

Back