Why You'll Never See a Gran Turismo Remaster

Its honestly very disappointing that this seems to be the current mindset. Future gamers might never get the chance to see what made these games so great without having working units of now aging hardware, copies of the games itself, or without the use of emulation. People would DEFINITELY buy the games if they were re-released into a digital or remastered format on the PS4...

...I know I would.

Its honestly very disappointing that this seems to be the current mindset. Future gamers might never get the chance to see what made these games so great without having working units of now aging hardware, copies of the games itself, or without the use of emulation. People would DEFINITELY buy the games if they were re-released into a digital or remastered format on the PS4...

...I know I would.

Or at least an official android/IOS download like Rockstar/Bioware has done in the past. But that would probably force them to outsource that project (which I don't think any GT feel would be lost for a direct re-make).

I have asked for YEARS to have an updated list of cars from the old games as a separate DLC. I have felt that it might not happen. After reading this, I'm a lot more sure of that fact.....

So sad that we can't get at LEAST some of the old fantasy tracks. That would be tremendous! The cars.... Well,..... I understand licensing issues..... :(

But wow.... Just think if we got a DLC that had all of the tracks from GT1. Then another for most of the tracks from GT2. And maybe a second to finish that off. Then another for 3. Then....

Sigh..... :(

I know I would buy them!

...I know I would.
I still have a working PS2 and I can play all GT games from 1 to 4 there.

Dont let the nostalgia cloud your mind... Compared to the PS3 GT's, GT3/GT4 feel already bad/unpolished, with a lot of stuff to improve, and with GT1/GT2 is even worse obviously

One thing is on my mind, how does the car licensing works? Does it work by getting agreement from a brand to be able to use almost their entire list of cars? or licensing every single individual cars?

Because if it was the former than the majority of the license problem will go away especially since almost all of the brands in GT1 are going to be available in Gran Turismo Sport. Meanwhile the TVR was there from the first title all the way to GT6. The Racing Soundtrack might be a problem but the Menu ones should be fine. The track list are all fictional.

If PDI is ever going to make a Gran Turismo 1 remake, i assume it's going to be based on GT Sport engine, physics, menu and graphics but with Career Mode, 90's cars and all the classic race tracks. They could release it as a DLC for Gran Turismo Sport so "everyone" should be happy.
---------
The only thing i was bothered really was this comment from...whatever the guy names is:
“I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games,” Ryan said, “and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”
"they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”'
I'm sorry but he sounds like you're average kid on the internet thinking that graphics in video games is everything. That and Gran Turismo 3&4 had one of the best graphics on the Console. It actually aged far better than plenty of other games i have played on that console. I'm pretty sure that plenty of people that i know would be more than happy to play older games.

I don't believe there has ever been a remastered version of any racing game. Ever.

I find this highly intriguing. A fascinating read that gave me some insight into this matter. However, I believe there's another level to go deeper still.
Why launch the same game again? When you can simply work on the sequel while keeping the cars and tracks from the previous entry.

Excuse me while I ramble on this...

When you look closer to each entry of a Gran Turismo game, they are remastered versions of the previous game, right? If we were to compare footage of the same car/track side by side, with all six main games, wouldn't you guys consider those individual entries a remaster of the each other?
The team thus far has redone and reworked Trial Mountain for every single main game engine (including GT PSP). Wouldn't that be considered a remaster of some sort? Yes, I understand in some of there cases they reused the same assets. But they still had to work on that same track in separate occasions.
And what about the cars? If we forget the standard vs premium fiasco in GT5, many cars appear in all games. These cars also had to be reworked.

With that said though, I completely understand why so many of us want to see the old games running on the current generation. Although,once we wipe the nostalgia off our eyes, those games do look pretty bad for today's standards.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the old games. GT3 being that special one to me.

I believe what would scratch our itch would be for the old games to be released as classics. The PS4 can now run PS2 games, so that's enough to have Gran Turismo 4 on it. The pinnacle of the classic Gran Turismo feeling. And if I remember correctly, the American version ran at 720p. So there we have it! Good old fashioned Gran Turismo in HD. :D

Great article @glassjaw.

If there is never a remake of GT1, the best they could do is make GT1 DLC car packs for future titles. Lots of great vehicles in GT1!

This is a great idea.
Imagine GT Sport dlc that was small recreations of GT3, GT4 driving missions, cars etc.

Unless that idea defeats the whole purpose of the article regarding licensing.

I still have a working PS2 and I can play all GT games from 1 to 4 there.

Dont let the nostalgia cloud your mind... Compared to the PS3 GT's, GT3/GT4 feel already bad/unpolished, with a lot of stuff to improve, and with GT1/GT2 is even worse obviously

It's ironic that you call GT3 and GT4 unpolished when they don't have framerate issues like GT5 and GT6. They didn't use out of place car models from last generation either.

It's ironic that you call GT3 and GT4 unpolished when they don't have framerate issues like GT5 and GT6. They didn't use out of place car models from last generation either.
Aside of the framerate drops, they have lots of other issues

I don't believe there has ever been a remastered version of any racing game. Ever.

Licensing. Whether it be for vehicles by long dead companies, track licenses that lapsed, or maybe most of all, soundtrack rights.

You would think once you purchase the licensing rights to recreate say a 2005 BMW M3, those rights would be forever on that particular car.
I understand purchasing new models, but those already bought should allow PD to recreate at will providing they stay within the original licensing.

I've recently started playing GT PSP on my MacBook via PPSSPP emulator. I played it on my PSP so many times i've forgotten, and on the PSP i'd ripped my copy of GT1 and GT2 so i could play those on holidays, again, many times over. I've owned every GT but i've had the most use out of GT2 and GT PSP. I have to say that on a bigger screen, with a nice XBOX 360 controller is a REAL blast. GT PSP has such a nice collection of tracks and cars, so i'm still managing to enjoy it even after all these years - El Capitan at the airport!

Licensing. Whether it be for vehicles by long dead companies, track licenses that lapsed, or maybe most of all, soundtrack rights.
The return on investment would make for a risk to create remastered racing games. I wonder how much money goes into licensing a Ferrari versus a Ford or a Cardigans song versus a Daiki Kasho song.

XXI
You would think once you purchase the licensing rights to recreate say a 2005 BMW M3, those rights would be forever on that particular car.
I understand purchasing new models, but those already bought should allow PD to recreate at will providing they stay within the original licensing.
Without going into too much detail, my work deals in sports, and has to re-new their licenses every year. I imagine in PD's situation, the time frame was probably longer, but had an expiration date nonetheless.

I'd love to see the GTO LM Race Car in a future GT game again along with the Venturi's and Vector's. Not to forget the original speed 12 and the Espace F1 too :).

I understand the issues with licensing, but it's a shame all the same that a remake isn't likely.

I would love to have GT1 thru GT4 content (cars, tracks and soundtrack) available as a mod for Assetto Corsa. It would be a dream, all the legacy content in a glorious handling model.

I always wondered on how one remasters older versions of Gran Turismo without making it look like "a re-skinned version of GT Sport".

That is sort of the unique issue facing semi-realistic racing games.

Crash Bandicoot is largely a direct re-skin of the originals, but there are a few small detail changes (things like hit boxes, and a handful of extra crates). A GT1 remake with super-pretty graphics but the old physics engine would actually make for a pretty solid arcade racer these days, IMO. If you're dedicated, you can finish the original game in barely over a day, but much like Crash, there's a lot of replayability baked in.

With Driveclub dead, Sony could use a first-party racing game that doesn't quite take itself as seriously as GT Sport does. The obvious example: Forza Motorsport and Horizon. I think GT1 would make an excellent base for that, and it'd be able to bank on the name, too.

As GT Sport proves, PD isn't too concerned with replicating real-world cars/liveries, so all of the Race Mods from those days could be re-done in whatever way it deems fit: it could even make up companies (like some of the ads on the side of the track in GTS). Plus, if a GT1 remake utilized the same graphics engine as GTS, any cars built for it could be pushed right into GTS as well. A two-tier approach, with GTS as the modern, serious racer, and GT remasters ("GT Classic?") to cater to the lighter side, with all cars shared between both? Hmmmm...

Personally, I'd love to see this in action again in a game other than Forza:

FM6-GT1-Mazda-MX-5-SlipZtrEm-800x450.png

Please elaborate on this...
Very outdated graphics, car physics are much worse, PS2 joystick is hard and nowhere near as precise as PS3/PS4 ones... And then obviously there was no online mode, so fun factor IMO is much much lower than PS3 GT games no matter how good the campaign mode was.
Also, I would like to see a frame rate test of the older GTs in all situations, maybe we would see a surprise.

Very outdated graphics
Oh come on...

Nope, first of all, I'm an oldschool gamer - I play games since the 8 bits consoles ;) and I can enjoy games without being obsessed with graphics. Believe me - gameplay is far far more important than graphics.

car physics are much worse, PS2 joystick is hard and nowhere near as precise as PS3/PS4 ones... And then obviously there was no online mode, so fun factor IMO is much much lower than PS3 GT games no matter how good the campaign mode was.
I won't argue with your comments here, but does it really make a game "bad/unpolished"?

I have a different opinion.
Even without an online option, GT4 is widely regarded as the best GT ever.

If PD were to remaster GT4, update the graphics, improve the physics, add the cars and tracks from GT5 and GT6, and add online racing, I think they would be on to a winner.
I'd buy it without ever having seen any preview material.

Back