WRC 7 Confirmed for September Release, Watch Exclusive New Trailer Right Here

• Thread starter er185es
  • 241 comments
Spain
Spain
Lesquin (France), May 16th, 2017 - Bigben and Kylotonn are pleased to announce the upcoming release of WRC 7, the official video game of the 2017 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC). The game will be available this autumn on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC.

With over one million copies sold in the last 2 years, the WRC license will benefit from the experience of the French studio Kylotonn, which will use all of its expertise to develop a more precise, extreme and realistic game. This year, the level of immersion in the FIA World Rally Championship will be even higher.

WRC 7 will put even more emphasis on the dynamic new-for-2017 World Rally Cars, including Thierry Neuville, Dani Sordo and Hayden Paddon's Hyundai i20 (already 2 victories in 5 events in 2017 for Hyundai Motorsport) highlighted in the trailer called "The Beauty and the Beast", available here:

This year the World Rally Championship rules have changed, and the cars in which the drivers compete are more powerful and more aggressive. Their new characteristics, enhanced by astonishing aerodynamics and improved handling, will make the rallies even more spectacular. This surge of power experienced while steering and driving with the controller will never have felt so real.

Aggressive, loud and nimble, the WRC 7 cars represent a new challenge for players, who will face off against each other to gain crucial tenths of a second on the Tarmac, dirt and snow of the 13 rallies in the WRC. Players will have the chance to play as their favourite WRC drivers and cars from the 2017 season, including Sébastien Ogier (Ford Fiesta WRC), Kris Meeke (Citroën C3 WRC) or Jari-Matti Latvala (Toyota Yaris WRC).

The Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC is a 380hp version of the road car, able to reach 60mph in less than 4 seconds. For Hyundai Motorsport, the three-door Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC represents the team's third new car since its debut in the Championship back in 2014.

WRC 7 will be available in the autumn of 2017 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC.

I see they mixed real FIA video footage with gameplay and they do blend nice. The graphics shown do look a big jump up from WRC6 demo I played as said above ^^ it was all quite dark.

Not so long ago there were hardly any racing games, so it is great to see all these sequels coming.

Do any of you still play WRC6. I enjoyed the physics of Seb LR and the graphics/VR of Dirt Rally but for some reason can not get in to the last 2-3 WRC games?

It will be nice to get your hands on the 2017 cars - they're absolute weapons - but I doubt it will be able to compete with Dirt 4.

Do any of you still play WRC6. I enjoyed the physics of Seb LR and the graphics/VR of Dirt Rally but for some reason can not get in to the last 2-3 WRC games?
Yeah I play WRC6 for the eSports. It's also cool just to have a go at each rally before the real WRC events but I agree the game as a whole needs something a little extra to set it apart from the competition

Good News! WRC7 will contain Domain Dumas' RGT Porsche, the less good news is that it's hidden behind a paywall so nobody will be able to drive it. I guess other cars from the class will be in even if they haven't been announced (Delecour Porsche comes to mind).

Last edited:
Porsche has been very busy signing a few gaming deals this year 👍 I brought WRC6 but still can't get in to it and prefer Dirt Rally/4 still.

Looking forward to this one and how the new physics pan out. According to the game director they rebuilt the handling from scratch and optimized it for steering wheels, to be later tweaked for gamepads. This one could be the surprise of the year.

I hope it is, to be honest I wasn't really impressed with Dirt 4 after laying down $60 on it.
I know it received good reviews, I just can't get into the physics.

XXI
I hope it is, to be honest I wasn't really impressed with Dirt 4 after laying down $60 on it.
I know it received good reviews, I just can't get into the physics.

I am very angry about the $60 I wasted on the D4 pre-order. It is quite evident that the game should be in alpha stage and that Codemasters charged a AAA price tag to use us as playtesters. It's now been 10 weeks since release and the only patches have been to fix some crash issues.

I can't get into the handling, either, and D4 is collecting virtual dust on my hard drive. While I admit it might be a decent, or even good, experience for casual arcade players, it is evident that the Simulation mode is not even close to being finished. Even Codies admitted they did not spend the proper time with the rally mode. I can feel some depth and lots of improvements in the handling model, but it is totally ruined by what I believe to be an unfinished sim physics model which causes extremely unrealistic rally car behavior, especially in the RWD cars and maybe half of the 4WD cars.

The good reviews for D4 are a bit skewed, I believe. Most of them came from pre-release copies handed to strategically-selected outlets in order to amass a collection of good reviews before launch. To fully appreciate the problems of DiRT 4 you need more than ten hours of playtime. The more you play, the more the game's flaws come to the surface: lack of content, repetitive stages, broken physics, no leagues, no web-based leaderboards, tons of bugs... It's interesting that looking at user reviews on Metacritic D4 is ranked last of the current-gen rally titles on PS4. But to come to this conclusion I had to omit various 1-point reviews for WRC 6 where the people were complaining about being penalized for corner-cutting (cheating) and crashing :confused:. So, looking at the overall scores from user reviews on Metacritic the ranking looks like this:

1. Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO
  2. DiRT Rally
  3. WRC 6
  4. DiRT 4
There is a huge discrepancy between game media outlet reviews and user perception of the titles. I agree 100% with the above ranking but it does not reflect the official reviews each title got. And if you look at the D4 reviews that have come out after the game's release, or browse the comments on the Codies forum, YouTube and Reddit you will see that it was not well-received at all. In fact, fewer people are playing DiRT 4 than are playing DiRT Rally. You and I are not the only ones who have abandoned it quickly. I have come to the conclusion that DiRT 4 is a borderline fraudulent product. And on top of all of its problems, we have now endured ten weeks of silence from the devs regarding the direction the game will take, if any. This is extremely disappointing, unprofessional and rude. I will never pre-order another Codemasters game again. They have always struggled with their corporate image and DiRT Rally helped them improve their tarnished reputation, and now they have just gone and dumped all over themselves again like they've been doing for the past fifteen years.

Agreed.
I won't be buying another Dirt game.
The simulation is very lacking, way too much grip. At times it feels like I'm on racing slicks and asphalt.

@Pfei ^^ You can add me to the list, I do prefer Dirt Rally/SLE to play by far as there is not much content on Dirt 4 and the graphics took a huge hit. I also Pre-ordered. I will think twice about Pre-Ordering Codemasters Rally Games again unless they upgrade their graphics engine and content or it is made by (Evolution Studios!!) I will wait and see what 4k PS4 Pro F1 2017 looks and plays like from the comments on here.

I do think this WRC7 looks really good and big step up from WRC6 which I did enjoy a little but we shall see what reviews it gets. I can't believe the number of racing titles due out in the next 3 months :gtpflag:

I am very angry about the $60 I wasted on the D4 pre-order. It is quite evident that the game should be in alpha stage and that Codemasters charged a AAA price tag to use us as playtesters. It's now been 10 weeks since release and the only patches have been to fix some crash issues.

I can't get into the handling, either, and D4 is collecting virtual dust on my hard drive. While I admit it might be a decent, or even good, experience for casual arcade players, it is evident that the Simulation mode is not even close to being finished. Even Codies admitted they did not spend the proper time with the rally mode. I can feel some depth and lots of improvements in the handling model, but it is totally ruined by what I believe to be an unfinished sim physics model which causes extremely unrealistic rally car behavior, especially in the RWD cars and maybe half of the 4WD cars.

The good reviews for D4 are a bit skewed, I believe. Most of them came from pre-release copies handed to strategically-selected outlets in order to amass a collection of good reviews before launch. To fully appreciate the problems of DiRT 4 you need more than ten hours of playtime. The more you play, the more the game's flaws come to the surface: lack of content, repetitive stages, broken physics, no leagues, no web-based leaderboards, tons of bugs... It's interesting that looking at user reviews on Metacritic D4 is ranked last of the current-gen rally titles on PS4. But to come to this conclusion I had to omit various 1-point reviews for WRC 6 where the people were complaining about being penalized for corner-cutting (cheating) and crashing :confused:. So, looking at the overall scores from user reviews on Metacritic the ranking looks like this:

2. DiRT Rally
  3. WRC 6
  4. DiRT 4
There is a huge discrepancy between game media outlet reviews and user perception of the titles. I agree 100% with the above ranking but it does not reflect the official reviews each title got. And if you look at the D4 reviews that have come out after the game's release, or browse the comments on the Codies forum, YouTube and Reddit you will see that it was not well-received at all. In fact, fewer people are playing DiRT 4 than are playing DiRT Rally. You and I are not the only ones who have abandoned it quickly. I have come to the conclusion that DiRT 4 is a borderline fraudulent product. And on top of all of its problems, we have now endured ten weeks of silence from the devs regarding the direction the game will take, if any. This is extremely disappointing, unprofessional and rude. I will never pre-order another Codemasters game again. They have always struggled with their corporate image and DiRT Rally helped them improve their tarnished reputation, and now they have just gone and dumped all over themselves again like they've been doing for the past fifteen years.

Oh dear. I too purchased it at full price but have yet to play D4. Reason why ? Thanks to this wonderful forum and the WRC5 Vs Dirt Rally Vs SLRE thread, back in Feb I bought SLRE for £5 and then later all of the DLC for about the same and have been playing it ever since. The only other driving games I've played since is a bit of GT6 and the GTS beta. I can totally relate your comments about main game reviewers Vs actual player reviews. I think it's an amazing simulation, I'm love with the driving physics they feel so perfect to me.

Before this I played maybe 5 hours of Dirt Rally which I did enjoy a lot, its just SLRE has got me so hooked that I want to finish all of it before going back to Dirt Rally then onto Dirt 4. I'm reading the same comments over and over though, it seems like I'm going to be disappointed.

Perhaps if I approach it as an arcade game everything will be Ok..?

I've come to the conclusion that main gaming media reviewers just don't get driving games and are like a flock of sheep, mostly getting it all wrong, praising and talking up games that don't deserve it and putting down others that are actually really good and worth a lot more. This situation really irritates me as lots of games get marked down unfairly which most definitely impacts on the sales of such titles which in the end means that we end up with less quality, which ruins all of our enjoyment.
These days I only listen to comments and feeling from communities like this and others such as Team VVV/Inside SIM Racing to get a good feel for a game. Everyone else just seems to talk a load of ****.

Last edited:

2. DiRT Rally
  3. WRC 6
  4. DiRT 4
Interestingly, the user score pretty much matches up perfectly with my verdict in GTPlanet's review. So that also gives credence to your viewpoint regarding mainstream media. :lol:

I don't want to turn this into a D4 vs. the world thread, but:

@Pfei I'm not sold on the idea that critic reviews are clearly skewed where user reviews aren't, either for D4 specifically or games in general. For a start, it kinda comes across as since your personal conclusion is the game was a disaster, anyone who doesn't reach the same conclusion obviously must be suspect.........not all of us do agree with that conclusion, though. :)

More generally (and on-topic - well, when WRC 7 gets reviewed at least!), there are pros and cons to both user and critic reviews imo. User reviews can be excellent if you're looking for very specific things, or views from dedicated fans. They also risk being poorly written and skewed by the user's personal biases/pre-conceptions, representing only a vocal (usually negative) minority rather then the whole player base, or, as you found above, sometimes they can be just total nonsense.

Yes, critics can be susceptible to bribery/manipulation, or lack expertise in specific areas/genres clouding their judgement. A lot of them also do it for a living; they will probably have a better understanding of objectivity, and writing for an audience, than most. I imagine experience as a critic would help you understand games quicker too, but I have no idea how much time any of them spent on DR, D4, SLRE and WRC 6, or whether it was more or less than 10 hours. Though to be fair I suspect you don't either.

Also:

It's interesting that looking at user reviews on Metacritic D4 is ranked last of the current-gen rally titles on PS4. But to come to this conclusion I had to omit various 1-point reviews for WRC 6 where the people were complaining about being penalized for corner-cutting (cheating) and crashing :confused:.

I get that you're upset with the game, but cherry-picking user reviews so that they show what you want them to, absolutely does not help anything at all.

------------------------------------------------

@SlipZtrEm is this the first time GTP has had exclusive gaming content like this that wasn't Gran Turismo related? Nice one :)

Last edited:
I don't want to turn this into a D4 vs. the world thread, but:

@Pfei I'm not sold on the idea that critic reviews are clearly skewed where user reviews aren't, either for D4 specifically or games in general. For a start, it kinda comes across as since your personal conclusion is the game was a disaster, anyone who doesn't reach the same conclusion obviously must be suspect.........not all of us do agree with that conclusion, though. :)

More generally (and on-topic - well, when WRC 7 gets reviewed at least!), there are pros and cons to both user and critic reviews imo. User reviews can be excellent if you're looking for very specific things, or views from dedicated fans. They also risk being poorly written and skewed by the user's personal biases/pre-conceptions, representing only a vocal (usually negative) minority rather then the whole player base, or, as you found above, sometimes they can be just total nonsense.

Yes, critics can be susceptible to bribery/manipulation, or lack expertise in specific areas/genres clouding their judgement. A lot of them also do it for a living; they will probably have a better understanding of objectivity, and writing for an audience, than most. I imagine experience as a critic would help you understand games quicker too, but I have no idea how much time any of them spent on DR, D4, SLRE and WRC 6, or whether it was more or less than 10 hours. Though to be fair I suspect you don't either.

Also:

I get that you're upset with the game, but cherry-picking user reviews so that they show what you want them to, absolutely does not help anything at all.

------------------------------------------------

@SlipZtrEm is this the first time GTP has had exclusive gaming content like this that wasn't Gran Turismo related? Nice one :)

Yeah, you're right in that I'm very angry and clouded my judgement enough to "overlook" some bad reviews I felt were unjustified :dunce:. There are plenty of fanboy and hater reviews of all of the games. However, the negative response to D4 has been pretty overwhelming, especially from the sim community. There is no doubt about that. The negativity goes beyond the game itself. It's Codemasters' lack of reaction/communication that has buried any benefit of the doubt the community was conceding to them after launch. Paul Coleman promised the Sim side of the game to be DiRT Rally but better. As I said earlier, the improvements can be perceived deep down under all the flaws. If they had released the game with proper development and testing, I have no doubt that D4 could have had (could still have) the best physics engine ever coded by Codemasters. However, since they made so many promises, released a game that seems to be in alpha state, while simultaneously admitting that they did not spend the necessary time on rally mode, they have left me a very sour taste in my mouth. On top of that, ten weeks of silence, similar to the three months of silence regarding the game-breaking F1 2016 tire wear bug. Not even a "hi, we're still here working on things". Nothing except a blurb in a Road Book about listening. Ten weeks after launch and the console versions still have multiple crashing problems during certain career and multiplayer events. They have completely lost my faith. This is definitely not the way a studio should be treating its customers but, even worse, this is not the way they should be handling their own title. Releasing a game in this state and going AWOL after launch is a slap in the face to everyone whom in good faith anted up $60 to get into a game on day 1 that has ended up to be nothing like what was promised but even worse is what it makes them look like as a developer.

I know this isn't a D4 thread but with Codies dropping the ball with D4 and WRC 7 promising more improvement, I think it's inevitable that D4 will be drawn into every discussion concerning WRC 7, just as DiRT Rally was drawn into every single discussion regarding WRC 6 (albeit for the opposite reason).

You're right about reviews. We have to take them all with a grain of salt, especially for racing games. There are very few in the industry that can give honest and informative overviews of handling models and those people do not work for any of the big media outlets nor do they post user reviews on sites like Metacritic.

I know the placeholder dates don't mean anything, but the price on Amazon USA at $50 is interesting...

Screenshot from 2017-08-21 11-41-07.png

What would I like from WRC7?

Oh and I forgot about the co-driver, but does it really need to be said that it needs improving?

Latest Posts

Back