Even If You Aren't a Formula 1 Fan, Is F1 2017 Worth Your Time?

I wasn't an F1 fan even though I had played some games but I really think that I will change my mind!.. I will give this a try:sly:

I'm not a fan of F1, but I gave F1 2016 a try, and it's a good game. Classic cars are a nice addition, but I haven't made my decision whether I'm gonna buy this 2017 version or not, as pCARS 2 is right around the corner and I still haven't finished DiRT 4.

I think it depends on what you want the game for. If you mainly just want to run online races or single player/AI races, you'd be better off with another racing game (PCars/Assetto/GTS - "probably" since its not out yet). Those other games have many various car classes, including a version of F1 cars.

But if you like a racing game that has a deep single player/career mode, and you like to tweak a lot of things, you'll love this game. I like real-life F1, and it's great to have to manage engine and parts since like in F1 you are only allowed x number of spares for the season. The classic cars are ok but they don't have the original drivers/helmets/sponsors (because tobacco companies were big in F1 back then). F1 2013 had a really great, in-depth classic car feature. F1 2017's classic cars seem more like a DLC car pack rather than a series. I will say F1 2017 is a good step up from F1 2016, too bad DiRT 4 was sort of a letdown compared to the great DiRT Rally.

Last edited:
F1 2013 had a really great, in-depth classic car feature. F1 2017's classic cars seem more like a DLC car pack rather than a series. I will say F1 2017 is a good step up from F1 2016, too bad DiRT 4 was sort of a letdown compared to the great DiRT Rally.

I'd have to disagree with you here. Sure it was certainly in-depth but it was at the expense of integration; it was walled off from the rest of the game, so much so it had an entirely separate mode! Though an argument in your favor would be the classic HUD, tracks and I think commentary from...Murray Walker?

I much prefer the cars being integrated into the entirety of the game even if it came at the cost of the other features from 2013. On a separate note, I really wish you made this comment a week or two sooner because all of that completely slipped my mind until now. Would have been nice to compare/contrast the two.

I wouldn't buy it if I wasn't a huge F1 fan...I think it's a fantastic game, but I love F1, and watch every race, every qualy and if I can practice sessions too. And I have been, ever since I can remember as a kid.

If you not an F1 fan, I am not so sure.
- Limited track selection, 25 if I am correct including 4 short track configurations (compared to PC1, upcoming PC2, FM6, upcoming FM7, AC and even GT Sport)
- Limited car selection, around 22 (compared to PC1, upcoming PC2, FM6, upcoming FM7, AC and even GT Sport)
- F1 rules..

Last edited:
I've had my friend coming around to try it. He prefers rally games and apart from him trying to tear apart my wheel stand (a lot of corrections and drift) he really enjoyed the game. So much so that he ordered a copy after only few laps.
I think any race fan will have a blast with this year's F1. Even if it's just running some time trials with all new and classic cars.
That feeling when you go flat out through Eau Rouge...

I've had my friend coming around to try it. He prefers rally games and apart from him trying to tear apart my wheel stand (a lot of corrections and drift) he really enjoyed the game. So much so that he ordered a copy after only few laps.
I think any race fan will have a blast with this year's F1. Even if it's just running some time trials with all new and classic cars.
That feeling when you go flat out through Eau Rouge...

I might have to come back on my earlier conclusion and say it a hell of a good racing game and even of of my friends who couldn't care less about watching F1 seems to enjoy this game.

Necro bump, but I was really a peripheral F1 fan until playing F1 2017. The game made me more interested in the sport, not vice-versa.

@Deadhead: I’ve got not issues with you digging this necro up and hitting it again. Lol. If you’re new to F1 racing as a series, you’ll probably hear people complaining about how bad the cars sound today compared to older F1 cars. The 70s to mid-2000s had some of the best looking and sounding cars and the best drivers. Here’s a video showing the V6T of today thru the V12 of late 90s/early-2000s. Start at 1:19 to hear the difference. To me the V10 sounds evil, but I prefer the V12 sound a little bit more than the V10. Hearing them in real life at the Canadien GP used to make the hair on your arms and back of your neck stand up. Now imagine 20 of them!

And the Stig driving a Lotus 72:

Last edited:
I'm not really an F1 fan - rarely watch a race. More of a Moto GP fan.

But yes, this is a great game. So far I haven't bothered much with the career mode - I find the career modes on F1 games a bit long drawn out.

So I mostly do custom races and time trials - good fun.

@zargdin: Great pic of "Yer Maun" Joey! He's my 2-wheel hero and Mario is my 4-wheel wonder. I wish Thrustmaster would make a motorcycle clip-ons version of the T300. Can you imagine a PS VR version of the IOM TT using a handlebar controller on a motorcycle sim rig?!?

@zargdin: Great pic of "Yer Maun" Joey! He's my 2-wheel hero and Mario is my 4-wheel wonder. I wish Thrustmaster would make a motorcycle clip-ons version of the T300. Can you imagine a PS VR version of the IOM TT using a handlebar controller on a motorcycle sim rig?!?

Glad you liked the pic.

I don't know if your wish will ever be realised though! But there's an IOM game in the offing - it's coming out sometime in the new year. Don't know much more about it.

Back