Toyota Looking to Add Another Performance Division

I. Want. A GeRMaN Taco!

ilHN7Sn.gif

Toyota launches GR performance series in Japan
http://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2017/other/0919-01.html
At the top sits the GRMN level, with full-on performance upgrades to rival the best on the market, including engine enhancements. Below that will sit the GR series (replacing the G's line) with upgraded brakes, suspension, rolling stock, exhaust, and limited slip differentials, along with aero and interior equipment – but stopping short of the engine. GR Sport models mostly feature cosmetic enhancements, but with some suspension tuning. Finally GR Parts will available a-la-carte as well.

Today's announcement isn't all bark and no bite, though: Toyota's launching new performance models at each level for the Japanese Domestic Market. The Vitz (as the Yaris is known in Japan) launches in GRMN, GR, and GR Sport specs – the top ostensibly identical to the Yaris GRMN we've already seen, the others incrementally removing some of that content (starting with the engine)... and lowering the price.

The Prius, Harrier (Lexus RX), Mark X sedan, and Voxy and Noah minivans are also launching with upgrades in GR Sport spec, and soon the same will follow for the Prius C and Prius V (known locally as the Aqua and Prius Alpha).

Most intriguing, however, is the 86 GR, upgraded with a full aero kit, Sachs shocks, Rays forged alloys, six-pot brake calipers up front, four-pots at the back, a new tailpipe, a Torsen diff, and an enhanced interior with a smaller steering wheel and Recaro seats. Stopping short of the full GRMN treatment, though, it keeps the same 2.0-liter flat four as the standard model.
CarScoops

toyota-gr-20170919_01_01.jpg

toyota-gr-20170919_01_39.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_37.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_41.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_43.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_03.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_04.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_13.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_14.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_20.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_21.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_25.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_26.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_29.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_30.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_34.jpg
toyota-gr-20170919_01_35.jpg

With them pulling out of racing games due to the rumor of not wanting their cars associated with being modified this is hilariously hypocritical. I'm really curious what's going on with them and brand imaging right now.

Toyota really seem determined to keep the 86 from having any kind of real, noticeable factory power increase, don't they.

That's because there is very little to get out of the FA20. Unless you go turbocharged or with a supercharger kit, 220hp is pretty much all you're going to get out of this engine.

A shame really...

Does that mean they're killing off TRD? If so, shame.
It's joining them per the article.
Toyota hopes to change this image in the very near future, with an upcoming announcement of a new performance brand.

The new branding will join Gazoo Racing Masters of Nürburgring (GRMN) and Toyota Racing Development (TRD) in the Toyota line-up. There’s no word yet on what Toyota will dub its new arm when it’s announced at an event next month in Japan.

This is why Toyota could never win LeMans...no performance...which then equals to no reliability. This coming from a Toyota fan.

I like that Yaris. Only ever see the 4-door models here. They look odd.
This is why Toyota could never win LeMans...no performance...which then equals to no reliability. This coming from a Toyota fan.
You sure you're a Toyota fan? Yeah, it's been hit and miss for them at Le Mans, but to say that they don't perform? Come on.

Last edited:
As many Nissan Elgrands I see on the streets, that Toyota van would do nicely. I also like the Yaris. Could steal sales from potential Suzuki customers.

I can see where your coming from , but quite a harsh review I thought .
The Yaris especially looks good ,I thought , and with almost a 100% power increase it ought to be fun .
I think we all may have to accept that the factory modified cars , that we have come to love , may we'll have reached the end of their days . Continued pressure to conform to emissions and safety legislation may spell the end for these niche cars .
Hopefully manufacturers like Toyota will continue to develop their cars in a way that will satisfy both the enthusiast and future legislation .

LMSCorvetteGT2
So glorified TRDs with a new name, wow, that's some innovation.
They're even aware of it, too. :lol:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170923/OEM03/170929896/sporty-toyota-line-will-make-waves-in-u-s
But don't expect the series to land stateside under the GR banner.

Part of the hang-up is that Toyota has an entrenched tuner line in the U.S. called Toyota Racing Development, or TRD. Executives see no need for new branding there.

Apart from the GT86, Noah, Voxy, and perhaps the Harrier, the rest look like they're venting their anger at something by shouting really loudly at it.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread because it could have easily been posted by a misinformed intern, but this is pretty big news:

GRMN Prius? GRMN Proace? GRMN Mirai? Are there any boundaries??? :confused:

In reality though, some cars in the lineup would be intriguing with a performance variant, such as the Corolla, C-HR and next-gen Yaris.

Granted, those "plans" could be nothing more than "we let the boys in the colored pencil department have some fun with concept sketches, and we'll send them upstairs if/when the budget allows for it".

I would be excited about a GRMN Yaris...it could be the Mazdaspeed2 the world never saw! (Except the Fiesta ST which was also kind of a Mazdaspeed2 the world never saw)

GRMN Prius? GRMN Proace? GRMN Mirai? Are there any boundaries??? :confused:

In reality though, some cars in the lineup would be intriguing with a performance variant, such as the Corolla, C-HR and next-gen Yaris.
Suppose it depends how Toyota defines "high performance". The sub-GRMN "GR" brand is already applied fairly widely. I think almost every Toyota sold in Japan has a GR version.
I would be excited about a GRMN Yaris...it could be the Mazdaspeed2 the world never saw! (Except the Fiesta ST which was also kind of a Mazdaspeed2 the world never saw)
I'm not sure if you're aware, but such a thing already exists...

yaris_grmn_review_4.jpg

Suppose it depends how Toyota defines "high performance". The sub-GRMN "GR" brand is already applied fairly widely. I think almost every Toyota sold in Japan has a GR version.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but such a thing already exists...

What I meant by that is the next generation Yaris Hatch (at least the US version) will be a re-badged Mazda2. So if they make a GR version, it will effectively be a tuned Mazda2.

Back