Is Porsche the next Vision GT?

• Thread starter jonjwlee
  • 34 comments
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
jonjwlee
Looks like Porsche is the next Vision GT brand with the 908/04 Concept.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/mot...t-long-tail-1968-porsche-vision-gt-14131.html

IMG_2262.JPG

Somehow it got to the main page of GTP, still not sure why. I don't see anything being accidentally leaked, just some old news from a while ago. I'll be happy if someone could point that out.

If this is gonna be the Group 1 car for Porsche in GTSport, they can just simply get the real LMP1 models, throw them in the bin, and call it Ridge Racer Sport Group.

BTW really sexy concept nontheless

I don't see anything being accidentally leaked, just some old news from a while ago.
Porsche posted it on its own news site on 9th September 2017.

Interestingly, the creators of the concept say, in their account, that they received an email from Porsche and have spent about a year working with them since, resulting in this latest version of the car. The original versions of the concept surfaced on our forums last July, about a year ago...

I wonder how Porsche became aware of it before contacting the 'Vision GT' team.

Imo it looks pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of the "long-tail" and I'm no Porsche fan. But it's really nice of them to recognize these guys. I'm afraid that's all it is though. Recognition and a 'small partnership' which entitled them to officially use Porsche's name.

Interestingly, the creators of the concept say, in their account, that they received an email from Porsche and have spent about a year working with them since, resulting in this latest version of the car. The original versions of the concept surfaced on our forums last July, about a year ago...

Wild guess, but perhaps Porsche were already working in secret on a Vision concept of their own before presenting it to the VGT team, then someone dropped the original photos of the 908/04 at their door at the time said photos would have gone viral.

Porsche gets in contact with the designers to see what they were doing, liked what they saw, settled any potential licensing issues, and decided in the end to collaborate with them and make their work the Vision concept that would be shown to the VGT team.

Porsche's own design maybe might not have been far along enough at the time that they ultimately got behind the 908/04. Would've been cheaper too to switch seeing as a concept was already complete and in the public domain. All Porsche did was paint it in the 2015/16 919 Hybrid LMP1 colours.

Plus, if you look back at the various articles from July 2016 about the 908/04, there's little or no reference at all to the original design team. As far as people who saw it were concerned, it was a retro 21st century concept created by Porsche.

Last edited:

You mean two years ago?
2015, the year where the lead artist already worked for Chery Motors, along with the rest of the design team?
And it surfaced on the forums right about the time where they already had a website and a tease campaign going?
And they were contacted in August 2016?
Which happened to be the month right after their campaign/blow out happened and garnered attention in motoring sites?

But if you look on GTPlanet...

It's almost like Porsche learned about this from us...

Hmm. Must of overlooked that thread at the time.

I've known about the GTPlanet community for about 2 to 3 years, but I didn't exactly delve into every forum/thread in that time.

Not sure why you guys would put this as a news article, and if Porsche was part of the Vision GT project, it wouldn't look like that that's for sure also, c l i c k b a i t

Last edited:
Hmm. Must of overlooked that thread at the time.

I've known about the GTPlanet community for about 2 to 3 years, but I didn't exactly delve into every forum/thread in that time.
Of course, Porsche probably didn't actually learn about it from us - versions of the car have popped up a few times, starting with that version with a more 918 colour scheme and front end - but it's interesting to note that the last we heard of it was July 2016, right around the time Porsche's exclusivity agreement with EA expired, and now the car is getting a scale model built by Porsche and publicity on Porsche's own website. It's gone from a fan project to something the manufacturer itself recognises and publicises.

Will it be the Porsche VGT? Does Porsche even have a VGT? Nobody knows except Porsche and Polyphony Digital. It's getting a lot of praise though.

And it has a full interior :lol:

Well played Porsche!!!! I'll drive my 944 Turbo to work today!!!!

Maybe they will present both VGT cars into the game? Will make an awesome story.

Looks nice, but nothing WOW and I am a Porsche fan. If Porsche supports a fan design, I'd rather see the Porsche Karma in the game than this.

Back