Gran Turismo Sport PlayStation 4 Review

Fair in every aspect. Hopefully, PD has a lot of stuff in the pipeline soon, or this game will suffer a harsh fate. As much as I love it, I want it to pull a R6:Siege and get the community onboard with a lot of support and content. Hopefully without the awful "season" DLC model :P

Very fair, it´s in line with most GT fans. It´s not the end of the world, it´s not the new sliced bread, it´s something different that has some positives and some negatives. A 7/10 or 3.5/5 is appropriate for the amount of content and what the game has/hasn´t.

They can make this the best GT quite easily in my opinion:

Double the number of tracks
Add some 30 new unique cars, plus their variations on each group.
Drop the online only saving
More variation on Sport Mode with longer races as well (pls bring back dailies)

Do these and we have the best GT ever. I love the new focus on online racing, i really hope this game is a success so we keep this trend going forward.

Very good review. I sincerely hope they have released an incomplete version of the game in order to try the servers or something else, because if they'll add proper offline events (with the possibility of playing offline), some more tracks and vintage race cars this will be simply the most entertaining, funny and good looking game available. It just needs a few tweaks, like those mentioned and for example a decal editor for helmets and suits, or 360 degrees scapes in the photo mode to make it really perfect. Looking at the updates history for GT5, which I think in terms of relevance is similar to GT Sport to Polyphony, I'm really hopeful for the future

Unfortnately they changed the steering from the closed Beta. It used to be perfect on the DS4 now it's a little messed up. Apart from the little content I enjoy playing it.

This is pretty bang on with how I view the game, it's addictive to a point with some of that old GT charm. Though the sacrifices are a bit niggling depending on what you really enjoyed the most about the old GT's but the fact that the game seems more like a new beginning like GT3 did when you first got into it. I hope they work on fleshing the game out back to it's older roots now that the base is installed already. I still want to grab a car and make my own part additions and tunings and head online for an old school race within a performance class. I mean I completely understand PD simplifying the upgrade system so casuals don't need to consult forums to increase their cars' performance but many of us still like the idea of having to consult others on things to get their thoughts and then head back to their garages to tinker. I think they should reinstate the old method along side the new one, it would give the game a bit more breadth to support casuals as well as those wanting a bit more.

That said I gotta do my daily runs and the rest of the campaign, I haven't even done a single online race. There is work to be done in the Livery editor, it's good but needs many things like grouping select layers together and coordinates and saving of last used paints needs to be global to the editor and not refresh every time you leave. We need photo travel to return as well because well, why not?! The last big thing for me is the befuddling online demand, that save feature is a headache and a half. It's single handed the worst aspect of the game since no connects essentially removes 90% of the game and 99% of the usefulness in playing. PD needs to return to reality and understand this is a bad idea commercially and logistically, they will pay dearly for this if they do not sort it out. Never in my life have I been so infuriated while playing a game and then being unable to continue my progress because the internet went out, at no point can this be considered acceptable. I already own the game so I am not taking it back, but I can voice my displeasure with the decision by the developers to include such a ridiculous draconian method or "file integrity".

Honestly, PD shouldn't be worrying about offline cheating, control the online Sport races by barring all user cars from it if they want to keep things sanitized and DR/SR should only be available when connected online since it's completely useless otherwise. I enjoy PD's efforts this time around but we have to get it through to them that this sort of shortsightedness will not be tolerated and that if it isn't rectified to allow all offline content to be progressed through without internet then word of mouth have been able to create momentum enough to topple whole regimes, what's a company or two? What does scapes have to do with online integrity of the save file? Can anyone tell me? Bad idea is a bad idea, blind leading the blind and none telling the other to turn back...such a stupid idea even before hindsight just critical thinking would reveal it to be so. 2017 and no one at IT in PD said hey most of the game unplayable without internet isn't that going to pose a problem due to unforeseen circumstances? What happens if there is a server overload or a hack, does this mean people cannot enjoy the product? Wouldn't that leave a bad taste in the mouths of all consumers of our product? No one said anything remotely close to common sense? No one mulled over that whole idea? Intentional disregard or oversight, either way nothing I can defend them on because it's a plain old dumb idea.

Sorry about the rant, but this just drives me up a wall. So many positives strides and all brought back to almost naught by ignorant inclusion of overreaching online save requirement.

I don't like it.

Don't crucify me here, but I just cannot get on with the physics.

I enjoy the livery editor, and it is beautiful to watch but something simple like adjusting tire pressure... naught.

I know this isn't the place for comparisions, but you really can't help but to compare after being shown what's possible on console this year.
I feel like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 have spoilt me to the point I've just put GT away.

@SlipZtrEm you have always wrote great reviews and I enjoy reading your ink.

I just don't agree this time.

He starts of saying, this franchise has lasted 20 years doing the same thing...but this time.. its all changed.. So they changed it cause they didn't want it to go on?

Ha Ha. Yes we had a winning formula (The same old Coke that we always had and everyone was happy with)... But then we changed it cause, the winning formula got too boring for us. we are gonna destroy the winning formula! That's our contribution to the world. To stop people getting what they want. automotive escapism. We are going to deny them that... and that is going to bring in the money! We could have created an additional series without destroying the winning formula. New Coke alongside the Old Coke... No that is too reasonable. Can't have that.

To its credit, Gran Turismo has evolved as technology improved. But outside of the spin-off Prologues and Concepts, the mainline games largely followed the same format. You’d start with a lowly car, enter the Sunday Cup, earn credits, upgrade the car, and rinse and repeat. Eventually, you’d have a sprawling collection of virtual rides. It was automotive escapism.

That’s all changed now.

Last edited:
First off, thanks for all the kind words, guys! :cheers:

They can make this the best GT quite easily in my opinion:

Double the number of tracks
Add some 30 new unique cars, plus their variations on each group.
Drop the online only saving
More variation on Sport Mode with longer races as well (pls bring back dailies)

Do these and we have the best GT ever. I love the new focus on online racing, i really hope this game is a success so we keep this trend going forward.

You're onto something there. 👍

GT Sport really drove home the point for us that post-release revisits are necessary. They won't be full reviews — this one was 4600 words! — but these are living things now. SMS could eradicate the bugs in PCARS2, Turn 10 may backtrack on the microtransaction plans (or at least not include loot boxes in the mix), and PD can add offline and online content.

Same as Project CARS 2 then.

How did you decide amongst the writers who would get to review this flagship of a game? I mean it's not every day you get to review a Gran Turismo game.

Rock, paper, scissors? Street fight in a back alley? Poker?

Whoever brought the most donuts in for me got to write it. Everybody tied, so I did it. It's not like I could get up from my seat after that anyway...

In all honesty, it was decided that I'd write it on the basis of writing the PCARS2 and FM7 ones. But this was a collaborative effort — all of the team helped out in ways. So thank you to @AudiMan2011, @Brend, @calvins48, @Famine, @glassjaw, @Joey D, and @Terronium-12. Also @Jordan for entrusting me with it: our first GT review is a YUGE deal. :)

Anyway, nice review man. I would have given it a slightly higher rating though. A 4 maybe. Same with pCARS 2.

I wanted to point this out in the actual thread: the average for the five categories was 3.7 stars, much like PCARS2. Or, on a 100-point scale, 74.

Basically, it's very close to a 4-star game. I'd say it's the most polished GT game since 5 Prologue, so that's good. But I question its appeal to the racing game audience. Hardcore sim racers looking for an iRacing on consoles will be satisfied, but how many people are going to enjoy constantly running mid-pack online? I have no qualms with that — a close battle is better than an easy win — but I'm a weirdo.

I finished the entire campaign in three days. Out of the mainline games, only GT1 can be finished faster. I know, with online, this game is never truly "done", but some people are just never going to really dig competitive online racing. As is, the game doesn't offer them much of anything else. Sport Mode is great, but there's nothing about its inclusion that means removing the option to play a different way. I'm not saying the career modes of the PS3 games were stellar, but the existing Campaign Mode is not an improvement.

I should also point out that regardless the review score, I'm very much enjoying my time with the game (so long as the servers are up). I almost hesitate to make the comparison, but think of the Cool Wall: some people treat it more as a Like Wall, and that's not the point. 👍

Great honest review guys :cheers:.

It pretty much sums up my experience so far. The only point I will add is I found the motion controller settings on the DS4 to work extremely well and have a nice smooth steer to them (thanks to the Motion thread) I now find it is very immersive especially on full grip over an apex and a great find. It is a great 'in between' using the traditional sticks and a wheel. It also worked extremely well on the PS VR as you turn the DS4 like a wheel with the VR on and it saved me setting up the wheel each time.👍 I look forward to the other hundreds of cars arriving including classic cars and more tracks via DLC .

P.S Online only save needs sorting asap!.:indiff:

why specify PlayStation 4? is there any other platform where GTS can be played?

In graphics you don't speak about VR, how well is GTS doing with PSVR?

why specify PlayStation 4? is there any other platform where GTS can be played?

The PS4 Pro. I briefly touched on what users can expect from that platform, but the review itself was carried out on a standard PS4.

We mention this to ensure consistency: PCARS2 was run on the same system, and FM7 was on the base XB1.

The PS4 Pro. I briefly touched on what users can expect from that platform, but the review itself was carried out on a standard PS4.

We mention this to ensure consistency: PCARS2 was run on the same system, and FM7 was on the base XB1.
Slightly offtopic: do you plan on an additional (or updated) review for PS4 Pro (and FM7 on XBX when it arrives)?

Ok, now I get it, thank you, PS4 as opposed to PS4 pro.
How about PSVR, how is it? I can not see any comments any where.

He starts of saying, this franchise has lasted 20 years doing the same thing...but this time.. its all changed.. So they changed it cause they didn't want it to go on?

Ha Ha. Yes we had a winning formula (The same old Coke that we always had and everyone was happy with)... But then we changed it cause, the winning formula got too boring for us. we are gonna destroy the winning formula! That's our contribution to the world. To stop people getting what they want. automotive escapism. We are going to deny them that... and that is going to bring in the money! We could have created an additional series without destroying the winning formula. New Coke alongside the Old Coke... No that is too reasonable. Can't have that.

To its credit, Gran Turismo has evolved as technology improved. But outside of the spin-off Prologues and Concepts, the mainline games largely followed the same format. You’d start with a lowly car, enter the Sunday Cup, earn credits, upgrade the car, and rinse and repeat. Eventually, you’d have a sprawling collection of virtual rides. It was automotive escapism.

That’s all changed now.

Reminds me of what Metallica did with their St.Anger album and so on. They've said they wanted to do something for them selves, not the fans.
And, IMHO they have every right to do so.

I just can't see GT going forward without more tracks and cars. Not concerned about that. Really disappointed in the dynamic weather and sun up to sun down lighting. I hope they figure a way to integrate that back into the fabric of the game.
Nothing better than racing with your buds around Nurburgring is a simulated 24 hour period.

I am not liking the wheel setup. Largely due to my T300RS not being recognized. And the diagram of the wheel and buttons don't match the Alcantara Ferrari wheel that I own. I refuse to drive with a DS4. So I will be doing a lot of Project Cars 2 on PC.

I bought this edition of GT because I wanted to get back with my on-line friends who stayed with PS3 and GT6.
I bailed to PS4 Pcars and Assetto Corsa because GT5 & 6 were offensive to me. Straight rip offs and telling customers lies.
But I missed my on-line friends and the late night madness we generated.

I do think this can be an excellent game if the development cycle continues. And more Sim principals are introduced. We shall see.

Slightly offtopic: do you plan on an additional (or updated) review for PS4 Pro (and FM7 on XBX when it arrives)?

A full review? Nope. A post detailing the differences? Yep. Still working out the final details.

Ok, now I get it, thank you, PS4 as opposed to PS4 pro.
How about PSVR, how is it? I can not see any comments any where.

Right here:

GT Sport supports the PSVR headset. I want to make that clear: it has a dedicated VR mode, where players are dropped in a two-lap, one-on-one race with the AI. It isn’t available across the entire game, unfortunately. As a taster and a proof-of-concept for the tech, it does its job. The graphics take a hit, naturally, but the immersion makes up for it.

There's not much more to add, really. Though as with most things, it may change via future updates.

Bound to be divisive. True.

I just started with the game today (5 hours in already) so i don't wan't to give it to much praise at this point, although i have played the beta many weeks. But i'm still sad that many people don't get the concept or vision behind this game. In my eyes, it is pretty unique. It's not like previous GTs. It's not like Forza. It's not like Project Cars. And i think this is a good thing.

It already managed to achieve something no other racing game has ever achieved for me: it took me online. Pretty much beacuse i had to play it online. You couldn't do anything else with the original beta. But i think it does a great job of bringing the hardcore-e-sport concept of iRacing to the console market, with lots of accessibility. I think it is a joy to drive, FFB is really well implemented, physics just feel great, not as complex and demanding as in AC or PC2, but for many people, this is a good thing.

The presentation of this game is simply top-notch. Seeing this in 4K and HDR is simply stunning. But i'm not just talking about the regular ingame-graphics or replays here. This game has so much style: the way the car manufacturers are presented, the scenes with the car driving around some Scapes scenery in Brand Central, this is a car lovers dream come true. Oh, and talking about Scapes. People who love photo mode in racing games can be rest assured: Scapes alone is worth your money.

There are many other aspects about this game i like. The campaign mode is surprisingly entertaining so far. And the sounds are really good. Seriously, listen to the sound of a Corvette Gr. 3 onboard and in replays and compare it to PCars 2, i think Polyphony did a good job this time around.

Back