So Many People Played GT Sport on Christmas Weekend, PSN Thought it was a DDoS Attack

What really surprises me is that this usually happens on a game's release. You wouldn't think it might happen down the line.
Given the fact that gt sport psvr kits were on a good sale, the new update, and gt sport itself was down to half price, it didn't surprise me that this would happen, of course, all things considered, Sony should really have a way of detecting mass connections from multiple places as opposed to mass connections from a single source. There are websites that do check for ddos attacks before you get to their page.

Couple this with the rampant banning of IP addresses because the security firm responsible for handling PSN, is comprised of nincompoops.

I feel bad for the new GTS players who now have a very sour taste in their mouths about this.

So then either this is good spin or PD did not have high expectations for GTS sales/users and did not prepare appropriately.

Both highlight poor management, yet aren't something I'm surprised by with crazy old Kaz running the show :P

I still find it a bit hard to believe. Yes I know the game is bundled with a console, was half prized sale on day 12 of 12 of the PSN XMas sales, patch 1.10 was just out luring existing players back and it was XMas evening and most people were at home possibly wanting to play. But... this is GT:Sport we're talking about, this is not the millions of players franchise it used to be. If you compare the amount of players wanting to play GT:Sport on Xmas evening compared to let's say how many people are playing CoD WWII, Overwatch or any hugely popular game then I would seriously doubt GT:Sport would beat those. Don't get me wrong I firmly believe in racing game land GT:Sport is doing quite well, but race game land is just a small fraction of what the overal game land is.

Or maybe it has something to do with the always-needing-to-be-online feature of GT:Sport, then Kaz can blame PSN as much as he want but if that has something to do with the cause of this, I blame PD. :P

I can't log on still no online Action for me can anyone confirm it's fixed?

Yes it is fixed. A lot of people needed to restart the game though, so if you are looking to preserve progress in game while offline I dont know how you will do so.

Yes it is fixed. A lot of people needed to restart the game though, so if you are looking to preserve progress in game while offline I dont know how you will do so.
OK thanks for the reply I'll just have to take the good with the bad I guess and hope we get some bonus cridit's from PD lol

I'd also like to add it's not the first time this month iv had rltrobles with online saving with GTS this month I made ruby level twice lost cars I had revived even tho I had pushed the save button.
Also I belive while the game was down they did some fine tuning tho the league set up as b4 it crashed and while it was of line play only I had a car that I could win races and get 60% bonus price money and level upgrade points. This morning I only got 20% bonuses

Last edited:
No, guys, in fact no one bought GT Sport and Polyphony will be forced to make a new numbered GT game with the old mobile chicane career mode, haven’t you heard the Failure Narraive pushed by bitter longtime fans?

No, guys, in fact no one bought GT Sport and Polyphony will be forced to make a new numbered GT game with the old mobile chicane career mode, haven’t you heard the Failure Narraive pushed by bitter longtime fans?
* GT4 fans. The GranTurismo I grew up with had fast rubberbanding AI that made racing a joy, the GranTurismo's I grew up with had race mods, fictional tracks and a good selection of modern cars. This all changed with GT4 which had slow AI, mismatched races, and awful physics. GT 1-3 were perfect, 4 although praised took the series down a different path. This is also what happened with Resident evil, 4 was well received so capcom went all in with action. PD is going back to its roots and im loving it.

PSN still awful, even though people now have to pay for it. More news at 11.

Also, this sounds like horseballs to me. GTS hasn't sold enough for it to even make an online dent against goliaths like GTAV Online. If GTS counts as looking like a DDoS attack PSN would be down every other day. I would say that Sony allocated GTS a relatively small amount of online resources, and it straight up got overwhelmed at Christmas.

So then either this is good spin or PD did not have high expectations for GTS sales/users and did not prepare appropriately.

Both highlight poor management, yet aren't something I'm surprised by with crazy old Kaz running the show :P

This "Kaz should be fired because I don't know what I'm talking about" joke got old a long time ago. Please try to come up with something new.

PS
PSN still awful, even though people now have to pay for it. More news at 11.

Also, this sounds like horseballs to me. GTS hasn't sold enough for it to even make an online dent against goliaths like GTAV Online. If GTS counts as looking like a DDoS attack PSN would be down every other day. I would say that Sony allocated GTS a relatively small amount of online resources, and it straight up got overwhelmed at Christmas.
PSN awful? Maybe because all online gaming is pretty bad in Ausi , the few friend i have there tell me PC gaming/ps4 online is really hit and miss

I'd also like to add it's not the first time this month iv had rltrobles with online saving with GTS this month I made ruby level twice lost cars I had revived even tho I had pushed the save button.
Also I belive while the game was down they did some fine tuning tho the league set up as b4 it crashed and while it was of line play only I had a car that I could win races and get 60% bonus price money and level upgrade points. This morning I only got 20% bonuses

I don't think it collapsed due a "high number of users"
I think it's just an communication problem occurred between sony and PD servers..

Just hope that they go back to local saving.. At least for the offline section of the game and be able to play and save progress without Internet or with the servers down.

I now that they did the online saving forward avoiding the savings hacks..

But it would be easy to prevent this, with no allowing to make a "security copy" in a pendrive...

Like GT Sport is now.... Once they cut servers...The game will become a nice cupholder...

...Sony should really have a way of detecting mass connections from multiple places as opposed to mass connections from a single source...
DDoS by its nature is a multiple source attack (Distributed Denial of Service) and very rarely would channel via a single source as that can be quickly blocked.

Well, you could call it an unintentional DDoS. I think they need better servers. I imagine a lot of people went to play because the game's on sale (and possibly Christmas gifts for some) and because of the big update.

Once they cut servers...The game will become a nice cupholder...
Or a digital paperweight if you only own a digital copy. I wish they'd let us save the game locally. Realistically only the Sport mode data should need to be saved online.

Haha! That’s one way to spin it!! Nothing like turning a negative into a positive...
I went away for Christmas so hopefully all up and running when I get home.
Nothing like paying for a service and then the game to sit with a screen full of error messages.

PSN awful? Maybe because all online gaming is pretty bad in Ausi , the few friend i have there tell me PC gaming/ps4 online is really hit and miss

PSN has been iffy since PS3, but back then you didn't have to pay for it so people accepted a certain level of performance. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have changed now that people pay for PS Plus, it's the same stuff with an additional revenue stream for Sony.

I haven't been able to get on since the night of the 23rd. I had planned to buy the rest of the paints and now I missed out. This ought never happen again.

PSN has been iffy since PS3, but back then you didn't have to pay for it so people accepted a certain level of performance. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have changed now that people pay for PS Plus, it's the same stuff with an additional revenue stream for Sony.
PSN has been rock solid for at least 2yrs. The last time I recall any downtime was a few Christmas' ago when PSN and XB Live where both DDoS'd. Based on my experience with an XBO in recent days, download speeds and reliability of connection are also as good, if not better, on PSN. My experience with XB Live is constantly dropped connection interrupting and pausing downloads.

Latest Posts

Back