Porsche Challenge: The Roadster Revolution

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: awesome work on this, @glassjaw!

I remember my best friend getting this as one of his Christmas gifts in '97. We — as well as a lot of schoolmates — got the system over the holidays, and while every single one of us were also given FFVII, I was a little jealous of his second game versus mine (Cybersled). I remember playing it at his place and being blown away by the graphics. It was a challenging steer too, though I felt more confident with it than I did playing Top Gear Rally on the one N64 in the neighbourhood.

Shortly after, my parents caved and bought us the original Need for Speed. Then, in the summer of '98, I was introduced to GT. Due to that progression, Porsche Challenge will always be a special title for me. 👍

I distinctly recall wondering why anyone would buy this over Need for Speed 2.

It's really crazy how things have evolved. What used to cost $60 would hardly pass as a free demo these days.

I remember playing it at his place and being blown away by the graphics. It was a challenging steer too, though I felt more confident with it than I did playing Top Gear Rally on the one N64 in the neighbourhood.

Given the small scope of the game I'm not surprised it never blew up, though I am surprised it wasn't more regarded as a technical achievement. It looked absolutely stunning back in the day, I think that's what endeared me to it in the first place. I was in love with the red Boxster specifically.

I distinctly recall wondering why anyone would buy this over Need for Speed 2.

It's really crazy how things have evolved. What used to cost $60 would hardly pass as a free demo these days.

That's progress for you. Though I will say as much as I liked NFS II (in some cases, for the same reasons as Porsche Challenge – I got sucked into the Showroom, History, and Gallery), it was pretty ugly and not as solid to play. That would definitely change for NFS III, but Porsche Challenge was just so much more polished than anything else on the system at the time, gameplay-wise. Of course you wouldn't know that just seeing it in the store though.

I agree with Kyle — this is some of your best work yet, @glassjaw!

You've made me nostalgic for a game that I've never played! :P

I saw a longplay of this game once on YouTube. This game has an excellent soundtrack. I think I played this game long ago on a demo disc. Not that I know anything much about "Porsche Challenge," this is a pretty cool game.

I always remember rage quitting this when I tried playing this but I always came back. Looking back, I think the overall presentation was just so cool that it hooked me in. Should go back and put more time into this one, not to mention it's one of only a few of my original PS1 games.

This was the game that came with my PS1 value pack - UK set with 2 controllers and a memory card - so it holds a special place in my heart. It was the first game I ever tried manual control on. The same Christmas I also got the first Toca.

Regards the point about GT Sport shoehorning adverts into Brand Central, wouldn't it be sweet for a first generation 2.5 to be added for the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Back