What Exactly is Assetto Corsa Competizione? 505 Games Registers New Domain Name

I'm predicting the next Assetto game is going to be (for the lack of a better term) a "Sport clone". What I mean by that is an online E-sports focused game with driver ratings and focus on class-based racing rather than a mixture of random cars and tracks, with the most popular class being Group GT3. Many racing sims will take this approach in the future if they haven't already.

When did we start calling "multiplayer" "e-sports" and why does bigger emphasis on it matter? Not that "competition" is just as well related to racing itself. I am sure multiplayer will be more fleshed out, but a bigger emphasis on racecars instead of street cars is also a possible reason. Or just... you know... it sounds good and italian.

When did we start calling "multiplayer" "e-sports" and why does bigger emphasis on it matter?

"Multiplayer" is an all encompassing word covering many things. "E-Sports" are a small part of that consisting of organized leagues. I'm guessing there is an increasing emphasis because they give the player a goal to achieve which keeps them playing longer (which means a higher likelihood they will buy DLC). Not to mention with some games you can actually make some real money if you're good.

...as far as I know, Stefano never mentioned that next AC will be called AC2 lol... this is pretty obvious long awaited AC2 with probably many many things added...

I'm predicting the next Assetto game is going to be (for the lack of a better term) a "Sport clone". What I mean by that is an online E-sports focused game with driver ratings and focus on class-based racing rather than a mixture of random cars and tracks, with the most popular class being Group GT3. Many racing sims will take this approach in the future if they haven't already.
You mean an iRacing clone, of which, "Sport" is already a clone?

Did you really need a translator to tell us that. Come on lad.
giphy.gif

Answering your question. Assetto Corsa Competizion is Italian for assetto racing competition according to Google translate
What question are you talking about? :lol:

I was saying with the GIF that the new subtitle/whatever it is obviously translates into competition but the Google Translate part was a joke, hence why I said:

After some thorough and intense research

but err, thanks...I guess?

What question are you talking about? :lol:

I was saying with the GIF that the new subtitle/whatever it is obviously translates into competition but the Google Translate part was a joke, hence why I said:

but err, thanks...I guess?

I know that I just like a reaction

GT7? No, GT Sport. AC2? No, AC Competizione. It kinda makes sense. Even more so considering that AC isn't really the kind of game you play because of career mode or car collecting. Virtual motorsport, online competition - thats more like it. That name is fitting.

I'm in hope that it isn't an "eSports" focused title like GT Sport has become. I'm quite fatigued with this eSports direction the genre is headed. Can't a man just race licensed real cars against robotic opponents on digital versions of real tracks with awesome physics alone?

I don't want to deal with rules and regulations of the FIA hierarchy and be subjugated to having to share my own personal game moments with others. I'm anti-social like that.

I doubt (no other logic other than they'd be committing business suicide) that Kunos & 505 Games are aiming to switch to pure e-sports. They acknowledge that AC has fallen behind, and it's likely that some owner's may like e-sport.

If you accept a made up scenario that e-sport could appeal to just 60% of their user-base, what they'd be doing if they pushed purely in this direction, would potentially reduce sales by 40%. I imagine what's coming next, is likely being called Assetto Corsa Competizione. Much like GT has moved away from the numbering trend.

I doubt content will change much, again due to risk. So, I expect road and race cars will still run hand in hand in a new title. I would prefer AC to become more like Gran Turismo 1-6 tbh. Adding more diverse vehicles, rally cars for rally stages, missing manufacturers, snow, rain, night, etc., etc.

I doubt PCars 1 & 2 would have gained momentum so fast, had SMS not offered such diverse driving scenario's.

Exciting times ahead...

Assetto Corsa has probably the most active online of any sim aside from iRacing & GT Sport so it would make sense for them to be interested in taking that to the next level. I for one am excited! Loving GT Sport's online (except the penalties) but AC physics and PC are way better. The game & content isn't old enough for them to delete all the content and the single player isn't special anyway - many refer to it as "hotlap simulator". So I can't see any reason to see this negatively. Don't like e-sports? Don't play the MP.

Apparently Aris had released statistics in 2014 or thereabouts showing that less than a third of all installed copies of AC on Steam had clicked the online button even once.
I'm wondering what newer statistics show.

Apparently Aris had released statistics in 2014 or thereabouts showing that less than a third of all installed copies of AC on Steam had clicked the online button even once.

I don't think that matters. In my view, its not about having an MP option, all racing games have one. Its about encouraging players to become part of an online community. I never cared about online racing, but GT Sport changed that. It does a great job of making online multiplayer appealing and rewarding. The penalty systems works - Forza or AC (on console at least) dont even have one. I think it would be a smart move by Kunos to aim in that iRacing / GTS direction. Just being another hot lapping simulator wont be enough.

Having an eSport focus doesent mean there will be no offline championships or hot lapping though.

To be clear, I wasn't making an argument for or against anything, just putting the info out there. :)
I hope both multiplayer and singleplayer will be solid experiences of course.

That's the same with all games. If you look at achievements in Xbox they now tell you how the percentage of players who have each one and you'll see there are vast amounts of people who buy the games but barely play them. Forza 7 something like 30% of players haven't won 1 race. Halo wars something like 40% haven't completed the first mission and 80% haven't completed the campaign. Its really weird but maybe explained by busy lives and Steam sales. AC still has active players online even with that in mind.

AC still has active players online even with that in mind.

A direct result of the physics model being that good.

Looking toward the future we really need some sort of license/competitive online racing system in place with full leaderboards to keep these lobbies filled up.
I have high hopes that's exactly what Kunos is honing in on.
You already have one of the best simulation models out there, it makes sense to bring it full circle with the other offerings.

Back