NASCAR For Kids: New Youth Esports Series Launches on iRacing

Bold statement:

NASCAR is uniquely positioned as the only sport that can develop skills transferable to real world competition.

It's not really that bold, granted he was a bit overly-specific (but that's marketing talk for you), but sim-racing is really the only e-sport that has the ability to transfer skills to the real world.

I think he said something he didn’t meant, because, for me, he said:

NASCAR requires less skill and has less going on, so it’s easier to simulate. I’m not trying to say bad things about NASCAR, I’m just saying he chose his words badly.

I think he said something he didn’t meant, because, for me, he said:

NASCAR requires less skill and has less going on, so it’s easier to simulate. I’m not trying to say bad things about NASCAR, I’m just saying he chose his words badly.

Where on earth did you get that from? :confused:

Where on earth did you get that from? :confused:
only sport that can develop skills transferable to real world competition.”

For me, if you’re in the only sport that can do that, and no one else can, your sport is too simple. He’s talking about the sport being simulated, not the simulator. I don’t think it’s simple. I like oval racing, the strategy, risk and skills involved, but I think he chose his words badly.

This reads exactly like one of those "I don't mean to offend you, but [insert comment intended to offend]" posts.

One could argue getting the asymmetric aspect of NASCAR tuning down, plus the aero work that enables bump drafts and all that entails, is a serious undertaking. Plus you need reliable netcode when cars are running at 200mph all within inches of each other.

I'm reading it the same way @Northstar mentioned: while NASCAR is namedropped specifically, I believe the sentiment is towards racing in general. It's true, too: none of the other esports out there really offer a translatable skill to the real-world. They're either fantasy-based, or built for a controller/couch setup. I can sink threes in NBA 2K all day, but that doesn't translate to me suddenly gaining skills on the court.

It's an interesting approach. I think the major issue will be the $99 barrier. I wonder if there's some way to off-set that, and maybe have some setups at actual NASCAR races. Also — 2PM races, on Wednesdays, for kids that should be in school? :odd:

This reads exactly like one of those "I don't mean to offend you, but [insert comment intended to offend]" posts.

One could argue getting the asymmetric aspect of NASCAR tuning down, plus the aero work that enables bump drafts and all that entails, is a serious undertaking. Plus you need reliable netcode when cars are running at 200mph all within inches of each other.

I'm reading it the same way @Northstar mentioned: while NASCAR is namedropped specifically, I believe the sentiment is towards racing in general. It's true, too: none of the other esports out there really offer a translatable skill to the real-world. They're either fantasy-based, or built for a controller/couch setup. I can sink threes in NBA 2K all day, but that doesn't translate to me suddenly gaining skills on the court.

It's an interesting approach. I think the major issue will be the $99 barrier. I wonder if there's some way to off-set that, and maybe have some setups at actual NASCAR races. Also — 2PM races, on Wednesdays, for kids that should be in school? :odd:

Yep, I think he meant to say about Motorsport in general too, but because of his ties to NASCAR, he said NASCAR. And I say the “I don’t mean to offend”, because I’m not a native English speaker and I’m sometimes miss interpreted because I don’t know the exact words to transmit what I’m trying to say.

only sport that can develop skills transferable to real world competition.”

For me, if you’re in the only sport that can do that, and no one else can, your sport is too simple. He’s talking about the sport being simulated, not the simulator. I don’t think it’s simple. I like oval racing, the strategy, risk and skills involved, but I think he chose his words badly.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Think of all the popular e-sports games. Now think about how many of those have actual real world applications.

FPS games won't make you an elite soldier.
Combat games won't make you an elite fighter.
Rocket League won't do anything because it's totally ludicrous (but awesome)
Other sports games like Madden, NBA 2K and Fifa won't make you a championship caliber player.

However, even racing games that are only somewhat based in reality can give you a good start when it comes to becoming a racing driver in real life as we have seen with the GT Academy program.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Think of all the popular e-sports games. Now think about how many of those have actual real world applications.

FPS games won't make you an elite soldier.
Combat games won't make you an elite fighter.
Rocket League won't do anything because it's totally ludicrous (but awesome)
Other sports games like Madden, NBA 2K and Fifa won't make you a championship caliber player.

However, even racing games that are only somewhat based in reality can give you a good start when it comes to becoming a racing driver in real life as we have seen with the GT Academy program.

I agree. I just think he should have used the word “Motorsport”.

It's not really that bold, granted he was a bit overly-specific (but that's marketing talk for you), but sim-racing is really the only e-sport that has the ability to transfer skills to the real world.
I was basing that from him being specific. Last year, Virgin Australia Supercars trialled their fiirst esports program with Forza. I haven't checked for any other official motorsport series(BLANCPAIN, IMSA, GT4,.. doing the same(if there are any).

I wasn't looking for a VASC mention. Just figured it was bold to say that. That's all.

I was basing that from him being specific. Last year, Virgin Australia Supercars trialled their fiirst esports program with Forza. I haven't checked for any other motorsport series doing the same(if there are any).

I wasn't looking for a VASC mention. Just figured it was bold to say that. That's all.

That’s what I meant too. He’s kind of antagonizing other Motorsport fans.

That’s what I meant too. He’s kind of antagonizing other Motorsport fans.

If "other motorsport fans" get antagonized by some simple marketing speech, they are probably looking for bait anyways. I can't think of a single major series that doesn't use some catch phrase in an attempt to put them above other series', this doesn't seem any different.

If "other motorsport fans" get antagonized by some simple marketing speech, they are probably looking for bait anyways. I can't think of a single major series that doesn't use some catch phrase in an attempt to put them above other series', this doesn't seem any different.
I know, what I’m trying to say is he chose his words poorly. It didn’t put his series above others, it did the opposite.
FPS are not representative of real world skills because the hardware and software can’t transmit the complexity of it. If NASCAR can, it means it’s simpler than war. If F1 can’t, it means it’s more complex than NASCAR. I’m talking about his statement and my understanding of how he might be miss interpreted. I’m not trying to star a flame war. We’re grown ups and GTPers! But 13-year old kids... but that’s enough. I said something, you disagreed and that’s ok.

Latest Posts

Back