What's The Meaning Of The New S-Level Driver Rating in GT Sport?

The S rank doesn’t reflect your actual Driver Rating points score, and there’s no requirement to have a high Driver Rating to get the S rank. However, it does act as a prerequisite for the Top 24 Superstar events.

So then it had no bearing on matchmaking for daily races, correct?

I.e. an actual Dr B who earned a star player nomination, will still race with other Bs during dailys.

I.e. an actual Dr B who earned a star player nomination, will still race with other Bs during dailys.

Exactly! The real DR is still tracked as it has always been and can be seen on the app/website (GTS Companion App/Kudos Prime)

Yup. It is a symbol with no inherent function beyond making you eligible for Star Player races.
Well, matchmaking focuses on SR score (not letter) first, but yes, it doesn't change any aspect of matchmaking.

What's a bumf?
I didn't know it was a word neither and was convinced it was a typo, but had to look it up :dunce:.
If you're not learning while reading GTPlanet, we're not doing it right :lol: A few weeks ago I completely confounded @Jordan with a headline containing completely normal British idiom that he'd never encountered before :D

But yes, "bumf" is essentially another word for "blurb" or "spiel". Basically accompanying information, originally in pamphlet form that no-one ever reads, but quite applicable to press releases and product info in electronic form that no-one ever reads either :D

I didn't think it was a word, but I guess I roasted you pretty well anyway! :lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol:
If you're not learning while reading GTPlanet, we're not doing it right :lol: A few weeks ago I completely confounded @Jordan with a headline containing completely normal British idiom that he'd never encountered before :D

But yes, "bumf" is essentially another word for "blurb" or "spiel". Basically accompanying information, originally in pamphlet form that no-one ever reads, but quite applicable to press releases and product info in electronic form that no-one ever reads either :D
In fairness though, I did learn from GTP! From the forums, that is :P Maybe your vocabs are just too vast :lol:

I am just woundering when there will be a new update. On tuesday we will have great update for fm7 so will maybe switch to that for a while

I guess that's the beauty of motorsport and having a medium like GTPlanet.

It's such a global sport that it's inevitable to learn each others traditions, culture and languages.. Even if the language is your own mother tongue :lol:.

Hold on.
This bothers me.
"The S rank doesn’t reflect your actual Driver Rating points score, and there’s no requirement to have a high Driver Rating to get the S rank. However, it does act as a prerequisite for the Top 24 Superstar events."

This seems a bit unfair as you get extra bonus points when you compete in the Top 24 races.
So if you don't have a S ranking now, it will be very hard to get one as anyone with one has an unfair advantage because of the bonus points they can receive for competing in the Top 24 race.
Sorry but this update to the system is crap. If you you are going to have a competition, it has to be a level playing field.

This seems a bit unfair as you get extra bonus points when you compete in the Top 24 races.
So if you don't have a S ranking now, it will be very hard to get one as anyone with one has an unfair advantage because of the bonus points they can receive for competing in the Top 24 race.
Having an S-ranking only makes you eligible for Top 24 Superstars. Selection for those races still has its own criteria within that group, and since there's more than 200 S-ranked players and only 24 slots for a Top 24 race (both in each region*), it won't act to preserve the status of around 90% of the S-ranked players.

*More like 350 in Europe, once each nation and manufacturer top 10 is taken into account

Hold on.
This bothers me.
"The S rank doesn’t reflect your actual Driver Rating points score, and there’s no requirement to have a high Driver Rating to get the S rank. However, it does act as a prerequisite for the Top 24 Superstar events."

Sorry but this update to the system is crap. If you you are going to have a competition, it has to be a level playing field.

It is a bit of an advantage, but remember that only 24 drivers qualify per superstars race, so only 24 will benefit in each championship. The other 176+ spots are still within anyone's reach.

EDIT it seems Famine is much faster on the keys then me lol. But yeah, what he said

Hold on.
This bothers me.

Well, I mean let's face it no one outside of the Top 200 even has a chance at the Top 24 Superstars whether you give them an S rank or not. The B-D ranks that got the S rank because they're top 10 in their small country or unpopular manufacturer has just a small chance as everybody else who didn't get S: 0

Ok, but I still do not see the point in giving anyone more points to begin with just because they are near the top.
You can't have a genuine competition if there is no level playing field.
Just stick to the way it works for normal races.

In the pre-season tests I have competed in Top 24. Maybe 2 or 3 times when I just scraped in. So I'm not saying this just because I can't achieve it. I believe it is really unfair.
Isn't this supposed to be a FIA sanctioned competition now. Imagine saying in a F1 season that only the top 6 drivers after every 5 races can compete in the 6th race with quadruple the points available while everyone else has only the ability for normal points. That would go down like a lead balloon and so should these Top 24 superstars bonus points races.

So sure, you can keep the Top 24 races, but I think it should be at the end of a season after all the points are tallied just to give the best a chance to compete with each other. This could then be used as a competition for further prizes/bragging rights etc

Ok, but I still do not see the point in giving anyone more points to begin with just because they are near the top.
You can't have a genuine competition if there is no level playing field.
Just stick to the way it works for normal races.

In the pre-season tests I have competed in Top 24. Maybe 2 or 3 times when I just scraped in. So I'm not saying this just because I can't achieve it. I believe it is really unfair.
Isn't this supposed to be a FIA sanctioned competition now. Imagine saying in a F1 season that only the top 6 drivers after every 5 races can compete in the 6th race with quadruple the points available while everyone else has only the ability for normal points. That would go down like a lead balloon and so should these Top 24 superstars bonus points races.

So sure, you can keep the Top 24 races, but I think it should be at the end of a season after all the points are tallied just to give the best a chance to compete with each other. This could then be used as a competition for further prizes/bragging rights etc
I can make 3 points about that:

1. Like I said before, there's no realistic chance anyone outside of the Top 200 can even compete at the Top 24 superstars, with S rank or not.

2. There's a very low chance that there is a new competition that appeared only now in Season 2 that has a shot at the Top 200 and is aiming to be in it. If they are intent on participating on the FiA Championships and actually making it all the way to the Finals, then they should be reasonably informed of the schedule in the first place. I'll be very frank, anyone who only started now in the Championships and has intent on making it to the Finals is stupid. It's a fault on that person's part to not be properly informed of the schedule despite numerous websites posting this information.

3. If we go by your F1 analogy, I think the more appropriate situation is stepping up fron F2 to F1. The S rank is reserved for the very best of people who are at the pinnacle: the cream of the crop. And so is F1. If you think about it, everyone should have a fair chance at getting into F1, as long as you have the money and started from a young age. But the reason so many people don't is because their track record is not good enough for any teams in F1 to take interest in them, just like how the S rank system works in GTS. Sure, you can say that there are F1 "pay" drivers who got into the sport because of their money/sponsors, and I think I can safely draw a parallel between this and the players who got an S rank because they are from a small country or chose an unpopular manufacturer; their actual skill level is another story. Whether that is a good thing or not, I'll leave it for you to decide

The world will never be fair, but even if you take away S rank, it won't be any less unfair to those outside of what S rank can reach. Because let's face it, those who have a chance to be in the Top 24 should have gotten an S rank in the first place. If you want the championship to be fair, then my suggestion would be an equal amount of points per lobby regardless of DR rank. That's equality. But is it equity?

See I just assumed it was because I had been winning a lot more lately but the Star Player thing makes sense too.

It seems you can register, un-register and re-register yourself as a "Star Player" once you get the initial invitation. I'm currently deregistered.

I deregistered online and I now get the pop up reminding me to register in-game.

I can make 3 points about that:

1. Like I said before, there's no realistic chance anyone outside of the Top 200 can even compete at the Top 24 superstars, with S rank or not.

2. There's a very low chance that there is a new competition that appeared only now in Season 2 that has a shot at the Top 200 and is aiming to be in it. If they are intent on participating on the FiA Championships and actually making it all the way to the Finals, then they should be reasonably informed of the schedule in the first place. I'll be very frank, anyone who only started now in the Championships and has intent on making it to the Finals is stupid. It's a fault on that person's part to not be properly informed of the schedule despite numerous websites posting this information.

3. If we go by your F1 analogy, I think the more appropriate situation is stepping up fron F2 to F1. The S rank is reserved for the very best of people who are at the pinnacle: the cream of the crop. And so is F1. If you think about it, everyone should have a fair chance at getting into F1, as long as you have the money and started from a young age. But the reason so many people don't is because their track record is not good enough for any teams in F1 to take interest in them, just like how the S rank system works in GTS. Sure, you can say that there are F1 "pay" drivers who got into the sport because of their money/sponsors, and I think I can safely draw a parallel between this and the players who got an S rank because they are from a small country or chose an unpopular manufacturer; their actual skill level is another story. Whether that is a good thing or not, I'll leave it for you to decide

The world will never be fair, but even if you take away S rank, it won't be any less unfair to those outside of what S rank can reach. Because let's face it, those who have a chance to be in the Top 24 should have gotten an S rank in the first place. If you want the championship to be fair, then my suggestion would be an equal amount of points per lobby regardless of DR rank. That's equality. But is it equity?

Ok.
I think the first problem is that I am thinking with an Australian mind set here.
Here we call out unfair for what it is.
Lets use another analogy from a different sport then.
So should we be giving Manchester and Liverpool the chance to get 6 points instead of the normal 3 for a win in game of football just because they are two big teams near the top of the table. I think not. All games are worth 3 points.

I know the game gives more points for higher ranked pools of drivers. Example being a group of A drivers have more points available then a group of B drivers.
I don't have a problem with the this points system. They had to do something to give higher ranking groups of racers more points otherwise we would have D rated drivers with just as many points as a A+. just because they beat a few other D rated drivers.
But I still don't see the point in giving quadruple points in one race to a select few in the same season. They can get more points in one race then anyone else can get in a whole season.

I still say keep the top 24 SS races, but as a bonus race at the end of a season for the top racers. No bonus points pooling up in the regular season.

So should we be giving Manchester and Liverpool the chance to get 6 points instead of the normal 3 for a win in game of football just because they are two big teams near the top of the table. I think not. All games are worth 3 points.
Sorry, but I don't know much about football so I can't make much sense of it :(
I still say keep the top 24 SS races, but as a bonus race at the end of a season for the top racers. No bonus points pooling up in the regular season.
Ahhh, if this is the point you're trying to make, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The current schedule with Top 24 races in the middle of the season means you need to be in every race beforehand to be able to participate, which is obviously a luxury only a few people have

Sorry, but I don't know much about football so I can't make much sense of it :(

Ahhh, if this is the point you're trying to make, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The current schedule with Top 24 races in the middle of the season means you need to be in every race beforehand to be able to participate, which is obviously a luxury only a few people have

Yes, sorry for not making it clear earlier.
The bonus points during the season is just ridiculous.
It really sucks for the people that are just shy of making it in. Once the people who did make it in compete in that race it gives them a good buffer to stay ahead on points even if they do not do so good for the rest of the races there after.

Back