Sony Celebrates Half a Billion PlayStations With a PS4 Special Edition

That's looks stunning!
It's not flashy or shouty, and i have a thing for traslucent consoles :D
My black Pro is enough for me though

Translucent blue plastic & copper! That's a really ugly colour combo imho.

If they've sold 500mil PlayStations (although I think it's more than that, at about 520mil), how many PS4s have been sold?

It's amazing how successful Sony have been with the PlayStation, especially given how it almost never was and then just came together.

I do love that limited edition, though it's not a patch on the PlayStation 1 style PS4 in all grey, man that thing was purrdy

One shall almost certainly be mine.

I've been toying around with the idea of a dedicated static sim rig, and my existing 1TB PS4 Pro would form the playstation side of that, with the new PS4 special edition with it's 2TB HD being able hold all the other video games I would want.

I never upgraded to the pro, but this special edition really makes me want to...

Until Sony allows the Pro to play games in ways that the the slim or original can't do - I'm thinking games that could be fully VR on the Pro, but aren't due to the fact that Sony won't allow that if it won't work on the original or slim - then there's little point in upgrading unless you have a 4K monitor/TV.

Though I have a 4K monitor I still set my Pro to output at 1080 as I prefer frame rate to resolution

Yeah a big ,,V, To all those who supported you over that half a billion sales, Because we will release a system that means more sales.. How about a 20% discount on PSS to all those who contributed!?

P.S Why didn't they just release a PS Pro in the shape of a gold bar! :P

Think it looks pretty good but unfortunately it has to work with the ugly PS4 Pro's design as a basis :lol: Nice nod to the Fat PS3's black translucent casing but the uncontained light from the power bar is going to make it look odd in the dark.

I don't know how easily available they will be to buy (anyone even know which retailers will carry it?), if its going to be one of those gone in the first 5 seconds of going live then I might not bother. I am kinda interested in a console, was going to hold out for the next gen ones just around the corner but would be tempted by this if its not a Black Friday style killing people in the aisles affair!

Also how are they spitting the 50,000? If you take all the territories the PS4 is sold it will mean each country gets like 1,000 which is hilarious.

Last edited:
I'd rather have the ordinary one simply because this edition looks weird. Besides, consumer electronics eventually stop working and it's easier to cope with the loss when it's not something unique. :P

Also how are they spitting the 50,000? If you take all the territories the PS4 is sold it will mean each country gets like 1,000 which is hilarious.

50,000 consoles.
that is less than 1 day of sales..
so they should be all gone in a day or two..

too bad they didn't hold off till the PS5 debuted, and created a 500,000 million special edition of the PS5.
Then all of us who already Own a PS4 pro, would be motivated to buy the PS5.

Ahh, Marketing..
Let's see How many PS4 Pro Owners can we get to buy a 2nd one..

HA!
I want one
But I've already got 3 PS4's
I don't need another one...

I'm not generally a fan of "special" editions of hardware, but considering the occasion, this is a pretty sleek piece. The bronze gives it a quality finish to the typical trope of translucent electronic devices. Also, it helps that LEDs are a staple as opposed to the 90's GameBoy design.

If the price is the same or within reasonable, I wouldn't downright turn it down if I saw it. At the very least, it'd be nice to have when my old PS4 inevitably kicks the bucket at some point.

Nice nod to the Fat PS3's black translucent casing but the uncontained light from the power bar is going to make it look odd in the dark.

The PS3 was not translucent, it had a piano finish. One is see-through, the other is shiny but solid. Analogy: Window to a mirror.

The PS3 was not translucent, it had a piano finish. One is see-through, the other is shiny but solid. Analogy: Window to a mirror.

Ah, but it is....:sly: go and get a torch and shine it under a fat PS3...

upload_2018-8-10_20-51-7.png

I dig the look and I'd love to upgrade to a Pro but at this point I'm just holding off until the PS5 and hoping my PS4 makes it till then. Though I'm not optimistic:nervous:

I'll take this one and trade my release day PS Pro. 2TB is what I need, do not want any external HDD. Quite like how it looks. Headset... I guess it's worse than my Platinum which I do not really like, ps headset v2.0 I liked more, because of comfort.

I'll take this one and trade my release day PS Pro. 2TB is what I need, do not want any external HDD. Quite like how it looks. Headset... I guess it's worse than my Platinum which I do not really like, ps headset v2.0 I liked more, because of comfort.

You could just put a 2TB in your existing PS Pro. A 2TB HD is dirt cheap and it’s dead simple to do - no technical knowledge required.

What a phenomenon the PS4 in particular has been. Having seen it first hand for myself, the games catalogue definitely stacks up.

I do love that limited edition, though it's not a patch on the PlayStation 1 style PS4 in all grey, man that thing was purrdy

Agreed, the 20th anniversary edition is one of my favourite ever special editions for any system ever made. I have a replica skin for my Slim that kinda resembles it. Not perfect obviously, but I wasn't willing to sell several vital organs for a legit one!

Deffo gonna get the new controller; I'm a huge fan of the special versions Sony are putting out for the PS4. Already have the PS1 style and GT Sport versions.

It looks decent. Not as amazing as the PS4 anniversary addition. I wonder how many 🤬 will buy this specifically to resell it...

Everyone I've talked to about this special edition already has some kind of excuse to justify buying at least a controller if they can get their hands on it. In other words, I expect these won't have a long shelf-life. It makes sense, but it's also kind of disappointing.

Back