GT40's Gorgeous Successor Was The Fastest, Most Fragile Ford

If I had the money, I'd buy it and store it underground in an isolated chamber for a couple centuries until I can re-sell it for billions of dollars.

My local slot car club often run a classic race series where the most common car represented is the P68 (made by NSR). I initially wasn’t a fan which is why I went for the GT40. After reading this article, I now have a greater appreciation for this car (even if I do race a GT40 against them ;))

It looks gorgeous!

The front bonnet/headlights curve even reminds me a bit about the Porsche 911 GT1. But the entire body reminds me more about the Ferrari 330 P3/4 (apart from the front then).

Porsche-911-GT1--98-14933.jpg

The one piece of trivia I know about the P68: Jim Clark could have driven the P68 at Brands Hatch for Alan Mann Racing, instead he was killed at Hockenheim in an F2 Lotus. He had a contract to drive for Lotus and Ford in 1968 and that weekend was the one conflict.

The P68 was designed by Len Bailey who had been instrumental in the development of the original GT40. He also designed the Ford Honker for Holman Moody at Alan Mann Racing a couple of years previous to the P68. You can certainly see the similarity.

Holman-and-Moody-Honker-II-Ford-7116.jpg

He went on to also design the lightweight GT40/Mirage M1, the Ford C100 and the EMKA C84 Aston Martin. You can see the lineage in the distinctive shape of the roof line on all of them:

DSC_0614.JPG

6200236312_9ab3f540a1_b.jpg

vintage-silverstone-classic-2016-aston-martin-emka-c84.jpg

I was impressed, I was considering to respect Ford again until I saw these two photos:

ford-p68f3l-008-800x450.jpg

ford-p68f3l-007.jpg

A long old science fiction space rocket rear end. It looks, ......... wrong.

Latest Posts

Back