New 276hp Ford Focus ST Sets Sights on Hot Hatch Crown

Fans of 90's Japanese performance cars twitch when a power output of 276 horsepower is mentioned. :sly:

What the new ST loses in terms of sharper styling it makes up for in quality and refinement. Having seen a new Focus (ST-Line) up close, the new model feels more upmarket than the MK3 by a considerable margin.

Ford, c’mon... why increase power and torque right after you literally ended the Focus in the US? This thing looks sick! Ford could’ve at least kept the Fiesta ST, Focus ST/RS and maybe the Fusion Sport V6 and leave out the other trims so that the Ford Performance line could keep growing instead of shrinking. Well at least we have the Edge ST and Explorer ST...

Beautiful car and a serious contender for the i30N Performance. After all the misery I had with my Ford, this could well be a car to be considered as a replacement for my ageing (almost 17 y.o.) Mondeo.

I really do think Ford is making a mistake. It's a performance car and they're in the performance business. Axing this will simply hand the performance crown over to others like Hyundai who just recently embraced the segment. And the excitement for the Veloster N is huge, and it's going to sell well in the States. The Focus ST *already* sold like hotcakes and would continue to.

What they should do is just bring this unique model over, while the regular people fawn over their crossovers.

I really do think Ford is making a mistake. It's a performance car and they're in the performance business. Axing this will simply hand the performance crown over to others like Hyundai who just recently embraced the segment. And the excitement for the Veloster N is huge, and it's going to sell well in the States. The Focus ST *already* sold like hotcakes and would continue to.

What they should do is just bring this unique model over, while the regular people fawn over their crossovers.

Seems to be happening up here too: the Veloster N had a constant crowd around it at the AutoShow when I was there during public time Friday and Saturday. Young folks too, closer to our age.

Meanwhile, Ford's stand was all about the Edge and Explorer. I didn't even realize the GT500 was there until my second day, because it's tucked back in the corner. There might've been one Fiesta out there too.

The only good thing I can think of with this no-cars plan is that, if/when it backfires, at least the core lineup will still be available elsewhere in the world, so Ford won't be starting over from scratch.

The ST's looks are quite dreary against its rivals. Right now I'd rather settle on an i30 N over this despite the performance similarities.

I While the previous generation model wasn’t too aggressive looking to begin with, this one is more grown up looking still. I also dig the power increase, but do not like the tablet on the dashboard, like all car companies seem to be doing these days, but otherwise I like it. It’s a real shame the US won’t get this or the Fiesta ST.

the Veloster N had a constant crowd around it
I watch a couple Canadian car reviewers on Youtube (why do so many of y'all review cars?) and they're all about the new Hyundais. They're good, don't get me wrong, but Throttle House and Straight Pipes basically convinced me to get one of the new Hyundais, along with my rental experience that they really are simple and easy to live with.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, these crossovers are more expensive than hatchbacks. Perhaps part of why companies are moving to small crossovers and their price premium is that they can never count on young people like us being able to afford a new car at all. I have one friend who has a new Subaru, and the only reason she has it is because her and her husband make like $80,000 combined and she's obsessed with Subaru. None of my other friends, most of whom are doing just fine, are either too busy paying for a house or have zero interest in new cars, and we're all 30. Not sure who can afford to buy all these things I'm seeing on the road, or ever-pricier crossovers (A RAV4 is up to $40,000 now, what the hell!) but apparently they've found their market of rich people?

My dealer just got one in.

IMG_20190216_090729.jpg

i'm a ford guy but i'm not liking the Styling, it's a little bland. Think i like the i30N and the Megane RS more.

...Not sure who can afford to buy all these things I'm seeing on the road, or ever-pricier crossovers (A RAV4 is up to $40,000 now, what the hell!) but apparently they've found their market of rich people?
I don't personally know anyone who buys new cars, of any age/generation, income, or part of the country. And millions of the people who do are 90+ days behind on their payments (I suppose the total figure includes loans on pre-owned cars).

I watch a couple Canadian car reviewers on Youtube (why do so many of y'all review cars?) and they're all about the new Hyundais. They're good, don't get me wrong, but Throttle House and Straight Pipes basically convinced me to get one of the new Hyundais, along with my rental experience that they really are simple and easy to live with.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, these crossovers are more expensive than hatchbacks. Perhaps part of why companies are moving to small crossovers and their price premium is that they can never count on young people like us being able to afford a new car at all. I have one friend who has a new Subaru, and the only reason she has it is because her and her husband make like $80,000 combined and she's obsessed with Subaru. None of my other friends, most of whom are doing just fine, are either too busy paying for a house or have zero interest in new cars, and we're all 30. Not sure who can afford to buy all these things I'm seeing on the road, or ever-pricier crossovers (A RAV4 is up to $40,000 now, what the hell!) but apparently they've found their market of rich people?

I just met Yuri and Jakub last week, they're very down to earth in person. 👍

My primary friend circle is pretty similar. Most of us either don't own a car, or own a very old one via family. I think big cities like Toronto skew the whole notion: in a smaller city a car is pretty much mandatory, so people make it work, regardless of whether or not they can truly afford them. Here, with the housing market being as utterly stupid as it is, so many of my friends are focused on just getting on that home ownership rung that many put off owning a car. Ride share programs are one thing, but there's also stuff like Enterprise Car Share, where you pay a tiny yearly fee and then an additional one each time you need a car, in 30min chunks. I've used it a few times as an excuse to try other cars, because the membership is $50/year and a two-hour drive is something like $20.

Only one friend that works within the city owns their car, and that's because a) it's barely in the city, instead diagonally across from their current place, and b) they work for an automaker, and got a ridiculously good deal that they couldn't turn down.

You've pretty much nailed the reason for the crossover explosion: bigger profits for the automakers with very little necessary investment. Jack up the suspension a bit, tack on some faux-tough plastic cladding, and sell for a few thousand more than the equivalent hatch.

Not sure who can afford to buy all these things I'm seeing on the road, or ever-pricier crossovers (A RAV4 is up to $40,000 now, what the hell!) but apparently they've found their market of rich people?

I think a lot of people spend a huge chunk of their wages each month on car payments. It happens a lot where I work, I've had discussions with colleagues around my age who want to lease cars that cost over £400 a month. That's more than my entire car cost. :lol:

Is Mr Block going to destroy the driving experience of the new Focus RS again?

I know it's all opinion, but this must be the most boring-looking 'hot hatch' I've ever seen.

The Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk4 would like to have a word with you. ;)

But I do agree it has lost some of the visual appeal the last two generations had. Hopefully there are some bright colours available to liven things up, such as Tangerine Scream.

Well, true but that's kind of what VW does - boring. Plus with 150hp I wouldn't have considered it very 'hot' :D

That was the 1.8 Turbo. Spare a thought for those who bought the 2.0 GTI with 115hp!

Back