Curren$y and Statik Selektah Release "Gran Turismo" Rap Album

It genuinely triggers me that East City seemingly has car dealers befitting of all GT2 districts - apart from East City.

Also El Camino is definitely a manufacturer and not just a Chevrolet model, amirite? Actually, given that it doesn't have a comma at the end when all the others have, that technically reads as "El Camino BMW", which makes even less sense.

Also also it's definitely meant to be GT2 style and yet only two of the brands listed were actually in GT2. Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche and Rolls Royce? Because Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz/Audi and Aston Martin are just not rap game enough, I take it? In which case, why go with Chevrolet over Cadillac? I mean, the Escalade is still ballin', right? People still say "ballin'", don't they?

WHY DOES THIS RAISE SO MANY QUESTIONS?

People still say "ballin'", don't they?
Speaking as the 41-year old Brit who wrote this article having never heard of all but one of the people named in it and doesn't recognise any music after 1987 (with the exception of They Might Be Giants) and thus the least suitable person on the entire writing team to cover it...

... I have no idea.

This really was genuinely painful to write, and if it doesn't actually appear terrible I'm counting it as a win.

Speaking as the 41-year old Brit who wrote this article having never heard of all but one of the people named in it and doesn't recognise any music after 1987 (with the exception of They Might Be Giants) and thus the least suitable person on the entire writing team to cover it...

... I have no idea.

This really was genuinely painful to write, and if it doesn't actually appear terrible I'm counting it as a win.

Well, don't ask me for any help as I'm still stuck in the 90s.

All I can tell you is there's 3, no 4 typos in the article title alone. Shokkingah :lol::lol:

Are they legally allowed to do this? I feel that PD could sue for copyright infringement...
Its music , it is not a game . What would be the copyright infringement ?
That would be like suing the beachboys for all their car songs would it not ?

Curren$y is an avid car collector from Porsche Ferrari’s M6’s to old school cars like 57 Chevy and 74 Impalas. Maybe not a lot of you guys taste but he is a car guy nonetheless. And he drives everything. He has Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari 360, Rolls Royce Phantoms Sl65 AMG, 79 Camaro, Iroc Z convertibles. Literally he may be one of the few rappers who owns what he raps about.

This just reminded me that this exists...

Speaking of Snoop Dogg / Lion did you know that he used to be a main guest in GT6 events back then.

As for the news OP music, I think its okay for a rap but problem is that its doesn't feel like or actually reference to actual Gran Turismo Series at all (in name and cover only shtick).

Speaking of Snoop Dogg / Lion did you know that he used to be a main guest in GT6 events back then.

As for the news OP music, I think its okay for a rap but problem is that its doesn't feel like or actually reference to actual Gran Turismo Series at all (in name and cover only shtick).

I got horses in the back dawg

Its music , it is not a game . What would be the copyright infringement ?
That would be like suing the beachboys for all their car songs would it not ?

They’re using the Gran Turismo name and logo on the album cover and profiting from the music. That absolutely would be copyright infringement. They either paid for the license or have some kind of agreement with Sony to use it.

They either paid for the license or have some kind of agreement with Sony to use
Well let us how the lawsuit goes . Im Im betting there wont be one

On the graphics companys twitter page they say the front cover design and the track on the back is by them.

This is the answer the graphics company on twitter gave me .

everything regarding the design is original but designed to resemble what they did, so we'll take this as a compliment!.

I am guessing there wont be a lawsuit as it is an original design . I find most people in the film industry know what they are doing when it comes to that type of stuff .the person that owns the graphics company that did the cover art is movie producer .

Last edited:
Did they copy it ?

Yes. I’d say that’s substantial similarity. Probably for the course maker logo as well.

4BC97E0E-0679-4D4F-A25D-C517FF1E9086.jpeg

Don’t be too hard on yourself.

A lesser sim racing journalist upon peering into the sim racing news barrel, only to find this turd languishing at the bottom, would have put the lid back on in the hope it would decompose and disappear of it’s own accord while trusting that nobody would notice the distinct lack of new content on the front page.

But not you. Through your single-minded devotion to your cause you unwaveringly grasped this steaming pile of dog excrement with both hands and took it under your care. Driven by your journalistic integrity, your bond of duty, and in the full knowledge that you would be barred from the Pulitzer for life (and possibly GTP as well), you gritted your teeth, took pen to paper, and exposed this utter travesty for all to see.

I therefore take this opportunity to doff my cap at thee.

tenor.gif

They’re using the Gran Turismo name and logo on the album cover and profiting from the music. That absolutely would be copyright infringement.

That's just what I think. Of course, the words "Gran Turismo" aren't copyrighted, but this design uses plain copies of GT logos with obvious goal to look like it is officially connected to the game and to make people interested in the record. Not cool.

And being sued or not probably won't matter to these guys - they already made themselves visible and that's what matters.

Last edited:
That's just what I think. Of course, the words "Gran Turismo" aren't copyrighted

Sony own many GRAN TURISMO related registered trademarks (be it text or logos), including the words Gran Turismo. But, such registration is classified into groups to prevent things getting silly. Gran Turismo as a ® is in class in Class 9, I would guess to clash with album art it'd have to be somewhere in Class 41 ("presentation of works of visual art or literature to the public for cultural or educational purposes."). If it's not in the same scope, there's no direct clash - even otherwise, "Fair Use" is allowed - for example if something is satirical... if seen as a tribute work the outcome might be different to one that is defaming a trademarked entity. The question is where's the loss, and where's the gain for each party...? As ever, IMHO with IP, if it goes legal it really depends on what money is involved as to whether people will or won't pursue it.

I'm not an expert in this. I've been through the trademark, design registration and patenting process a few times, including disputes, but I could be wrong.

Back