Microsoft Patents Controllers That Could Turn Your Phone Into an XBox

Calling people who play on their mobile phones "gamers" lol.

At least people like me who has short, fat thumbs can play mobile racing games more easily.

Asus did something similar to this with their "gaming" phone, and it slid by pretty much unnoticed. Surprisingly, people who play games on their phones don't really care to carry around bulky clip-on accessories to do so.

I guess it could be useful in having a phone be a second screen Xbox peripheral like the Wii U controller, but that seems like a limited use case nowadays.

Sorry, but I think this idea has limited appeal. I think to most the whole point of having games on your phone and/or tablet is so that you can play games on the go using those devices and nothing else (so you don't have to carry around accessories). If you have to keep a controller with you and strap a controller to your device, then that lessens the appeal of mobile gaming IMO. If you are at home then wouldn't it be a far better gaming experience to just use a console or PC? I'll give Microsoft credit for trying something different, which I think is always cool, but count me as skeptical on this one being a big success.

And IMHO Stadia is going to crash and burn big-time for a number of reasons, but that's an argument for a different day.

Asus did something similar to this with their "gaming" phone, and it slid by pretty much unnoticed. Surprisingly, people who play games on their phones don't really care to carry around bulky clip-on accessories to do so.

I guess it could be useful in having a phone be a second screen Xbox peripheral like the Wii U controller, but that seems like a limited use case nowadays.

That's why you go the Sony route:

dims.jpeg.jpg

No clip on stuff. But not like it was any good.

So it's essentially similar to what Nintendo has done with the switch? Replacing the console with a phone, and joy-cons with similar other joy-conny type stuff.

I looked for something similar when I had my Galaxy S9+. Basically a controller case with room for a phone in the middle that also has a battery pack to keep the phone going as gaming is such a battery drain.

I had PSP, GameCube games etc running at resolutions and FPS better than the original consoles but the controls were always a pain. Never found that elusive gaming controller and ditched my S9 for something much cheaper instead.

I would buy these (assuming they're not hugely expensive) just to have a sensible way to play Gameboy emulators, clipping my phone to an Xbox controller isn't the best solution. I'd much rather keep it portrait and have something that attaches to the phone itself like this!

You know what amuses me? It's why they still call it a "phone".
Call making and receiving must be the last in the list of operations this devices make.

You know what amuses me? It's why they still call it a "phone".
Call making and receiving must be the last in the list of operations this devices make.
We call them phones, but I believe they are technically considered a mobile device.
I would definitely like to pick up a set of these as well. I got into retro gaming on my phone and even picked up an 8bitdo controller for it, but without the mobile being able to mount to the controller, it was just a bit to awkward to play. This looks like a reasonable solution that should be of some decent quality.

We call them phones, but I believe they are technically considered a mobile device.
I would definitely like to pick up a set of these as well. I got into retro gaming on my phone and even picked up an 8bitdo controller for it, but without the mobile being able to mount to the controller, it was just a bit to awkward to play. This looks like a reasonable solution that should be of some decent quality.
Hey... i remember you :D

I actually like the concept of having the holder as an adapter for a standard controller. That seems like it would sell way more units as the cost would be much less. And no getting used to a new controller.

I actually like the concept of having the holder as an adapter for a standard controller. That seems like it would sell way more units as the cost would be much less. And no getting used to a new controller.
The concept somehow reminds me of the Nintendo Switch.

The concept somehow reminds me of the Nintendo Switch.
Kinda, except using your mobile or tablet. Would be good for games like elite dangerous or no man's sky that have more controls than controller buttons.

Kinda, except using your mobile or tablet. Would be good for games like elite dangerous or no man's sky that have more controls than controller buttons.
Looks like it's going to be a common trend for smartphones in the future. I mean it might be offered as a free accessory by many phone brands one day.

Mobile phones? You mean antiquated mcirosoft mobile phones. 'cause we all know it ain't gonna be compatible with much else.

Back