Bugatti Chiron Busts Through 300mph, But Don't Rewrite The Record Books Just Yet

How is it called?
What do you mean? The name is pronounced Sheer - on. The record is called by doing a v max run in opposite directions using verified equipment.

I thought the same, the long tail looks great on the Chiron.
Look at the colours. Remind you of the veyron super sport? It'll be built for a select few.

Fastest wheel driven car is less than 200mph faster than this car. A road legal car is more than half way to being as fast as an lsr car.

Last edited by a moderator:
One can only begin to try to imagine the kind of forces at play when going at this kind of speed, especially on the tires. Utterly outrageous.

Why the hell are they selling all these other variants? Just make this one and call it the super sport.

This is impressive. Didn't think the Chiron was really intended to break records.

What do you mean? The name is pronounced Sheer - on. The record is called by doing a v max run in opposite directions using verified equipment.

Look at the colours. Remind you of the veyron super sport? It'll be built for a select few.

Fastest wheel driven car is less than 200mph faster than this car. A road legal car is more than half way to being as fast as an lsr car.
I know it's a Chiron, but it's not a normal model. I thought it will have a special name like "long tail" or something.

I know it's a Chiron, but it's not a normal model. I thought it will have a special name like "long tail" or something.
Ah! Gotcha. I've heard nothing, but given the colours and the last fast bugatti I'd say Super Sport would be a probability.

That's impressive, give it a month or two before Koenigsegg come up with a 310mph car.

I like the long tail look though, hopefully this becomes a Chiron Super Sport or something similar.

That's it then, I guess. Peak Volkswagen. An 80 year long journey, from the people's car, the most basic car for everyone, to this, the fastest (for just a handful). It would be a nice twist of irony, if this car won't make it to customers, just as the people's car didn't either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing a lot of people on the web are missing is that regardless of the car not being a production version or meeting Guinness requirements, at the end of the day, Bugatti is the first manufacturer with video proof of breaking through the 300mph barrier.

Winkelmann has said after this, they’re not chasing speed records anymore. They got here first, they’re focusing elsewhere.

Impressive to say the least a car reaching the 300 mph milestone but I mean Koenigsegg isnt sitting with their arm crossed either so it will be a matter of time ( will be sooner if they get to use this VW test course but I doubt that ).

Is anyone getting a michelin vibe listening to the background song?

@Famine can the posts in the main Chiron thread talking about the record be moved here?

Also, I thought the Centodieci uses the standard engine without the uprated power?

Also also, I don't know if you can call this particular version road legal given the lack of number plates and ride height is probably too low to get over a sleeping policeman.

The first good looking Bugatti supercar - in my humble opinion. The long tail makes the look fantastic.

One can only begin to try to imagine the kind of forces at play when going at this kind of speed, especially on the tires. Utterly outrageous.
Yeah, think about tire growth at those RPM.

They will always have bragging rights as the first, but my guess is that the car is more 'modified' than they're letting on which is why they didn't go for the record for production cars.
How many modified Chirons do they have to make to qualify as a production model (assuming they can't count reg. ones)?
My guess is most owners and new buyers are happy with the stock version and Bugatti didn't have the demand. Most of these cars never hit 20% of their top speed anyway.

They will always have bragging rights as the first, but my guess is that the car is more 'modified' than they're letting on which is why they didn't go for the record for production cars.
How many modified Chirons do they have to make to qualify as a production model (assuming they can't count reg. ones)?
My guess is most owners and new buyers are happy with the stock version and Bugatti didn't have the demand. Most of these cars never hit 20% of their top speed anyway.
The car has 100 extra PS, special tires, modified ride height control, body work/exhaust, and a modified interior for safety (roll cage) & lightweight (removed passenger seat). The original Chiron is speculated to be capable of these speeds as it achieves 261Mph from a dead stop in around 45 seconds before it cuts off fuel, but after 250mph, it loses momentum for the remaining 11mph. I imagine trying to run a stock Chiron past 261mph to 300mph would either drink all its fuel or kill it tires before it could get close.

Bugatti could quite easily replicate the Veyron SS & build only 30 Chirons like this, and they would sell out every single one. The issue, I'm betting, remains safety as the production cars would have to remove the roll cage, place the seat back in, and then continue developing the tires on this prototype to be strong enough. The speculation however, is that Bugatti will build another edition based on this achievement.

The car has 100 extra PS, special tires, modified ride height control, body work/exhaust, and a modified interior for safety (roll cage) & lightweight (removed passenger seat). The original Chiron is speculated to be capable of these speeds as it achieves 261Mph from a dead stop in around 45 seconds before it cuts off fuel, but after 250mph, it loses momentum for the remaining 11mph. I imagine trying to run a stock Chiron past 261mph to 300mph would either drink all its fuel or kill it tires before it could get close.

Bugatti could quite easily replicate the Veyron SS & build only 30 Chirons like this, and they would sell out every single one. The issue, I'm betting, remains safety as the production cars would have to remove the roll cage, place the seat back in, and then continue developing the tires on this prototype to be strong enough. The speculation however, is that Bugatti will build another edition based on this achievement.

Honestly they could sell a car with the exact specification (minus the cage) as the 300mph one and just speed limit it to 261mph for safety. It would be no less impressive as a car, and nobody is going to get anywhere near that speed anyways. The prospective owners would still own "Trecento" (of course that would have to be the name) even if their cars won't go that fast.

Honestly they could sell a car with the exact specification (minus the cage) as the 300mph one and just speed limit it to 261mph for safety. It would be no less impressive as a car, and nobody is going to get anywhere near that speed anyways. The prospective owners would still own "Trecento" (of course that would have to be the name) even if their cars won't go that fast.
I don't think Winkelmann would appreciate you getting ahead of their game, as I wouldn't be surprised that's what they do.

Now...think about how fast the McLaren Speedtail would go if it had 1500 hp. The Mclaren has a much smaller frontal area and therefore wouldn't require as much power to reach the same speed.

Besides some rear end stability and roll cage, 100 more hp, slight weight savings ( still probably around 4000lbs), and being lowered this is still a basically non touched Chiron. Real impressive for a 2 ton car with just under 1600hp.

Back