Toyota Reveals Smallest Model in GR Range, the Copen GR Sport

So whens it coming to GTS? Also wouldn't mind a century for 🤬 and giggles.

So, do we call it the Toyhatsu or the Daiota?
Officially, no.

Unusually, even the regular Copen doesn't have a Daihatsu badge, it has a Copen badge. This car is simply "Copen GR Sport" - no manufacturer branding.

You'll be able to buy it at Toyota, Toyopet, Toyota Corolla, and Netz dealers, rather than Daihatsu ones.

The Copen is one of my favorite kei cars, second to the MG TF160.
?, The MG TF160 isn't a Kei car.
Well, it's small enough to be one :lol:
Not by a long, long way it isn't.

Keijidosha
Maximum length: 3400mm; MG TF 3940mm (+15.9%)
Maximum width: 1480mm; MG TF 1630mm (+10.1%)

There's also the maximum engine size of 660cc (MG TF 1796cc, +172%) and power of 63hp (MG TF 158hp, +151%).

Well, it's small enough to be one :lol:
It's actually 5.3 inches too wide to meet current kei car regulations, which are more relaxed now than they have ever been.

Then there's the not inconsequential matter of the engine being nearly three times maximum displacement (1796cm³ when that figure is not to exceed 660cm³) and surpassing horsepower restriction by 95.

Edit: Seems I've been tree'd.

Now that’s a first car I’d actually want to be seen in
Most first cars are usually some small ******* that’s haemorrhaging oil faster than Saudi Arabia can make it, but this seems like a very nice car. Plus, it’s not like Toyota has forgotten the classic styling of the old Daihatsu Copen

Not by a long, long way it isn't.

Keijidosha
Maximum length: 3400mm; MG TF 3940mm (+15.9%)
Maximum width: 1480mm; MG TF 1630mm (+10.1%)

There's also the maximum engine size of 660cc (MG TF 1796cc, +172%) and power of 63hp (MG TF 158hp, +151%).

It's actually 5.3 inches too wide to meet current kei car regulations, which are more relaxed now than they have ever been.

Then there's the not inconsequential matter of the engine being nearly three times maximum displacement (1796cm³ when that figure is not to exceed 660cm³) and surpassing horsepower restriction by 95.

Edit: Seems I've been tree'd.
Okay, I get it :)

It's my favorite small car, how about that? ;)

Mg tf is one the worst car ever made
And worst car I have ever driven. I'm not any more but I was in the motor trade for 16 years.

I can dig it. Hopefully we'll get the more typical 2nd-gen Copen that the VGT is based on, too. As far as Daihatsu in general goes, I think it'd be fantastic if we also got the Charade, and its Group B rally car version for Gr.B.

WHAT!!!
How has anyone not commented about the most intriguing detail of the whole story.
When you buy the manual you get a LSD!!!

Even some proper sports cars don't even have a LSD as an option. I'm looking at you Porsche and Lotus.

It's interesting how such a small car can look so darn nice! And I "love" those drum brakes; gives it that oldschool look :lol:

Nice to see some manufacturers are still making cars for the sake of making something interesting and fun, rather than copy-pasting every other trendy SUV/Crossover.

When it appears in GT, I wonder if it'll be listed under toyota, daihatsu, or copen brand.

Back