Sony Releases Official DualShock 4 'Back Button' Attachment

• Thread starter Robin
  • 35 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

$29.99/€29.99 23rd Jan US/14th Feb EU

I wonder if this gives us a glimpse into something that might be hard built into the PS5's controller. Only thing I don't get is why they put the OLED screen on the BACK, missed opportunity there.

Many premium controllers like the Xbox Elite ones and other 3rd party e-sports ones have them. I guess its useful for having pre configured button combos. It's quite clever of Sony to make an add on that turns every normal controller that people will already own into a more professional one. Thing is its years too late and in a couple of months it will all be about the PS5 and whatever controller that system comes with.

Now I don't have to buy one of those crap Scuf controllers that I only hear bad things about. If it's a first party peripheral I'll trust it. $30 bucks is damn cheap. In total with a controller that's $95 USD. A lot less than those custom "pro" controllers.

Many people are saying this is a sign to come of the PS5 controller, that it may have this by default

Many premium controllers like the Xbox Elite ones and other 3rd party e-sports ones have them. I guess its useful for having pre configured button combos. It's quite clever of Sony to make an add on that turns every normal controller that people will already own into a more professional one. Thing is its years too late and in a couple of months it will all be about the PS5 and whatever controller that system comes with.
I’m gonna be honest, the DS4 is near flawless to me. There’s not much more one can do to improve it. If anything, the same controller, but slightly bigger, would be perfect for the PS5.

I thought it basically acts like some sort of touch pad on the rear, something similar to the deceased PS Vita back then. Then again, it's a back button attachment.

For me, battery life is irrelevant because I plug my controllers in with a 10 ft. USB cable. No input lag for me.

I’m gonna be honest, the DS4 is near flawless to me. There’s not much more one can do to improve it. If anything, the same controller, but slightly bigger, would be perfect for the PS5.
Giving it rumble triggers like the Xbox controllers is one thing I can think of.

Does this mean, you can use manual shifting in The Crew 2,now?!.... I mean, free Button mapping would have done the job aswell, but yeah, sounds nice.

Also, Elite Dangerous with it's shipload of controls comes to mind.

I think I like it.

It's Definitely PS5 Beta test peripheral, hopefully PD will put back the camera option in GTS so we can map it as a L+R view while we race

The price point is a complete joke, however I like the idea of being able to upgrade consoles and peripherals. The price is so cynical, you might as well just go an buy a new pad...

For folks who don't race with a wheel and pedals, this could be useful for mapping for gear changes, seeing as most other DS4 buttons are already mapped in things like GTS (L1 to look back, R1 to change view). so this gives two added buttons that should be accessible without having keep adjusting your grip.

Yes, it's not for everyone and some will see it as gimmicky, but I guess there will be plenty of gamer's that could make use of a few extra buttons to enhance the gaming experience with a pad.

The price point is a complete joke, however I like the idea of being able to upgrade consoles and peripherals. The price is so cynical, you might as well just go an buy a new pad...
Go check out how much any of these controllers cost to come with extra back button. A regular new DS4 controller is $45 and this is $30. That's $75 for you math nerds. Compared to the $150+ for those "pro" controllers I'd say it's a ****ing steal.

Go check out how much any of these controllers cost to come with extra back button. A regular new DS4 controller is $45 and this is $30. That's $75 for you math nerds. Compared to the $150+ for those "pro" controllers I'd say it's a ****ing steal.

I agree definitely daylight robbery a hell of a steal for someone lol Thanks for the help with the addition I ran out fingers rofl

Clearly your opinion cannot be changed so there's no point talking to you anymore. If you can't see that other people might enjoy something that you don't like then your head is in the sand. The price is fine. You're being cheap

Clearly your opinion cannot be changed so there's no point talking to you anymore. If you can't see that other people might enjoy something that you don't like then your head is in the sand. The price is fine. You're being cheap
What? This basically sounds like you at this point. It looking more like your upset that you couldn't force your opinion on someone else, and change theirs. I don't see one sentence or even a word that would imply that he doesn't understand that someone might enjoy it - In fact, he said that he enjoys the idea of upgrading consoles and peripherals. Then, instead, you choose to play the man instead of the ball.

Last edited:
Yeah, what a totally dumb design choice, it doesn’t need to display much, they had room on the front:banghead:

To me it makes more sense how it is in the back. Once you have mapped your bindings to your liking why would you need it in the way in front. You wont mess with it again or atleast until you change games.

Back