Aston Martin Reaches For The Sky With Its New... Helicopter?

Looks like a pimped up gazelle
They're related, but very distantly.

The EC130 (Airbus, previously Eurocopter - created from Aerospatiale) is a development of the AS350 (Aerospatiale), essentially with a fenestron instead of a tail rotor. The Gazelle (SA340, Aerospatiale) was the first helicopter to use the fenestron.

I wonder if it has that familiar high pitched whine from the engine?
Same engine manufacturer - and you'll probably have heard it before anyway. Your air ambulance is an EC135, which is a twin-engined version - although some models use P&W engines, others use the same Turbomeca Arrius 2B as the EC130.

They're related, but very distantly.

The EC130 (Airbus, previously Eurocopter - created from Aerospatiale) is a development of the AS350 (Aerospatiale), essentially with a fenestron instead of a tail rotor. The Gazelle (SA340, Aerospatiale) was the first helicopter to use the fenestron.

Same engine manufacturer - and you'll probably have heard it before anyway. Your air ambulance is an EC135, which is a twin-engined version - although some models use P&W engines, others use the same Turbomeca Arrius 2B as the EC130.
Yeah, they do seem to be distant cousins. That enclosed tail rotor looks very familiar.

Yeah, they do seem to be distant cousins. That enclosed tail rotor looks very familiar.
That's the fenestron. It's like a tail rotor, but not - it does the same torque-countering thing, but rather than being a rotor on its side, it's more like a ducted fan. Because it's enclosed, it's more efficient due to the reduction in tip vortex losses - energy wasted by vortex generation at the wing tips - and quieter. They often use many more blades (the ACH130 has ten) than a conventional tail rotor, unevenly spaced to create noises at different frequencies.

Yes, I spent all morning researching helicopters so I could write the article :lol:

That's the fenestron. It's like a tail rotor, but not - it does the same torque-countering thing, but rather than being a rotor on its side, it's more like a ducted fan. Because it's enclosed, it's more efficient due to the reduction in tip vortex losses - energy wasted by vortex generation at the wing tips - and quieter. They often use many more blades (the ACH130 has ten) than a conventional tail rotor, unevenly spaced to create noises at different frequencies.

Yes, I spent all morning researching helicopters so I could write the article :lol:
I was thinking you had an extensive knowledge of helicopters :lol:

Back