Sony Reveals Its First Car: Meet the Vision-S Prototype

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Sony just revealed an electric sedan at CES to show off their sensors and technology.

Sony-Vision-S-1-scaled.jpg

Sony-Vision-S-9-scaled.jpg

Sony-Vision-S-6-scaled.jpg

upload_2020-1-7_0-17-55.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-18-6.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-18-11.png

There are 33 sensors that monitor both the inside and outside of the car

upload_2020-1-7_0-19-29.png

Sony-Vision-S-2-scaled.jpg

Sony-Vision-S-3-scaled.jpg

Sony-Vision-S-4-scaled.jpg
Sony-Vision-S-5-scaled.jpg

Sony-Vision-S-7-scaled.jpg

upload_2020-1-7_0-20-46.png

Partners that helped with the concept:

upload_2020-1-7_0-21-3.png

Their EV platform can be used for more vehicles including SUVs.

They will continue to work on their Vision S initiative by focusing on safety, entertainment, and adaptability.

More info on their sensors which they call the Safety Cocoon:

Sony CMOS Sensors (just their normal camera sensor found in their Sony cameras and most modern cell phones)

upload_2020-1-7_0-24-27.png

Solid state LiDAR

upload_2020-1-7_0-25-10.png

Fusion of RAW data from Sony's sensors that are then fed into their algorithms to create a better recognition system compared to conventional techniques

upload_2020-1-7_0-26-1.png

ToF in Cabin Sensing

upload_2020-1-7_0-26-22.png

Cars that currently use their sensors

upload_2020-1-7_0-28-23.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-32-30.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-32-43.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-33-9.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-33-14.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-33-52.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-33-56.png

upload_2020-1-7_0-34-8.png

sony_vision_s_0388.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder if this could be the first car you drive on your PS controller, from the convenience of your lounge, to (insert any popular fast food restaurant) drive thru and back home.

I quite like its looks, not to quirky.

An amazing amount of technology built into it. But just imagine buying it used a few years down the line when that technology maybe starting to fail. How much is going to cost to keep it going!? That's if they make it of course, but I often think the same thing applies to many modern vehicles that are brimming with electronics.

Athletic...is not the word one would use to describe the form of this car.

The proportions, all around, are pretty dreadful.

I would also be surprised if Polyphony Digital didn’t contribute to the project in some way.
I could see them not being involved. PD seems more involved with the Playstation part of Sony, and doesn’t seem to often branch out to other Sony segments, aside from that Bravia TV advert.

This car, on the other hand, seems to be a collab between pretty much all Sony divisions, though I don’t hear anything about the Playstation being involved. This doesn’t exactly seem like a newer take on the Nissan Urge - a vehicle that I think really would fit as a constantly recurring car in the Forza games.

Like my PS4 and Sony TV, I wonder if it'll need to install massive updates every time you start it up? Still, kind of neat though. The tech looks pretty cool too.

I doubt they pulled intel from Polyphony's work with other cars but I hope this doesn't sour any relationships with other auto manufacturers.

Surprisingly tidy looking machine. I highly doubt the car itself will actually be made but I can see the connected technology and autonomous driving systems trickling their way down the line in a few years.

Bingo

Most likely Sony flexing its muscle and making a profit off of the technology in the future.
Elon Musk, likewise, is putting most of his bets on the technology that would power the 'Self Driving AI' of his cars. The cars themselves can afford to take a financial hit as long as it feeds Tesla with the most valuable entity in our modern world - our data.

Back