DIRT 5 Details New Vampire Multiplayer Mode

I suppose the primary reason behind the new name is that word outbreak leaves a far more sour taste in the mouth today than it did back in 2011. ;)

I hope it doesn't suck.

Apart from the change in how tagged players look (red lights instead of green paint), I'm expecting this to be identical to how Outbreak played out in Dirt 3 which was enjoyable enough. :cool:

Edit: Only just realised I missed the pun entirely :crazy::lol:

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine that this is the same Codemasters that left GRID hanging on the vine to die. Dirt 5 does sound like it will be great, but I wonder if there will be generational cross-play (PS4/PS5 or XB1/XSX/XSS ) on that console makers servers?

I hope it doesn't suck.

I see what you did there.

Actually sounds possibly addicting, all depends on how the vampire infects other cars.
I assume you have to chase them down, but hope you’d have to be door to door not just “close enough” behind.

Also hope there’s a diversion for “campers” that just sit and wait, assuming Vampire mode will be circuit based not just rally stage.

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Andrew Evans (@Famine) on September 25th, 2020 in the DIRT 5 category.

You said in the main article that all player progress will be carried over if they upgrade from current gen to next gen. Sadly this isn't the case.

It's been confirmed on Twitter that all progress will carry forward from and to the Xbox consoles, but not PS4 to PS5. Only Playground creations will carry forward, no career or currency on the PlayStation consoles.
I personally find this a bit stupid and hope it changes.

It's hard to imagine that this is the same Codemasters that left GRID hanging on the vine to die. Dirt 5 does sound like it will be great, but I wonder if there will be generational cross-play (PS4/PS5 or XB1/XSX/XSS ) on that console makers servers?

Found this information from a Q&A with Codies...

https://wccftech.com/dirt-5-qa-with-codemasters/

Is there any chance of crossplay for DiRT 5? If not, what's the reason behind not allowing it?

RK: We have cross-generational play in DiRT 5, so Xbox Series X will be able to play against Xbox One. The same is true for PlayStation, so PlayStation 4 vs PlayStation 5. As for PlayStation vs Xbox, it's not so much a case of not allowing it - it's the extra work needed to make it happen and make it work. It's something we'd like to do but it's not going to be in for launch.

Found this information from a Q&A with Codies...

https://wccftech.com/dirt-5-qa-with-codemasters/

Is there any chance of crossplay for DiRT 5? If not, what's the reason behind not allowing it?

RK: We have cross-generational play in DiRT 5, so Xbox Series X will be able to play against Xbox One. The same is true for PlayStation, so PlayStation 4 vs PlayStation 5. As for PlayStation vs Xbox, it's not so much a case of not allowing it - it's the extra work needed to make it happen and make it work. It's something we'd like to do but it's not going to be in for launch.

Thanks. I am not rushing out to buy a next generation console until the initial bugs are fixed. So knowing that any of my PSN friends do & we pick up this game we can still play together. 👍 And then I see your post about your game save not transferring from PS4 to PS5. 👎

Actually sounds possibly addicting, all depends on how the vampire infects other cars.
I assume you have to chase them down, but hope you’d have to be door to door not just “close enough” behind.

Also hope there’s a diversion for “campers” that just sit and wait, assuming Vampire mode will be circuit based not just rally stage.

I'm going to assume it's going to be like Dirt 3. You play on a Gymkhana playground, free to run around wherever, and you just have to touch the other car to infect.

If there's another playground that has elevation, you can sure bet you'll have people looking to reach places you can't just simply drive into. I had a good 2 hours looking for hiding spots back in Dirt 3. Even managed to jump onto an invisible barrier you can't escape from. Either the infected won't see you since you're essentially elevating 3 stories up, or they catch you, but also get stuck up there too.

Last edited:
Back