Audi Preparing to Return to 24 Hours of Le Mans With New LMDh Entry

I wonder what they'll call it. They can't use R19 through R35 so I'm curious if they'll stick to R18 or just "e-tron LMDh" or something like that.

LMDh = IMSA; LMH = WEC

Their main focus will be on IMSA since they are building a LMDh car.
Both classes will be racing in both WEC and IMSA( as long as IMSA is allowing the Hypercars to race) so i think Audi will race in both IMSA and WEC

From the IMSA thread:

Putting on my tinfoil hat: long time Audi team Phoenix Motorsport goes into LMP2 as they want to be in LMDh and the boss their said that he thinks factory support will be crucial. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would be one of the main Audi LMDh teams later.

Last edited:
From the IMSA thread:

Putting on my tinfoil hat: long time Audi team Phoenix Motorsport goes into LMP2 as they want to be in LMDh and the boss their said that he thinks factory support will be crucial. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would be one of the main Audi LMDh teams laters.
I could see a few ex Audi DTM teams coming in too who aren’t interested in running upgrades GT3 machinery.

I guess they realised that Formula e is boring as ****? This is great news.

Can't wait to watch the new Hypercars at Le Mans. Sounds like Audi will still be in the mix for outright victory too with LMH regulations being brought inline with LMDh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this so much. Audi got me into endurance racing and it hasn't been the same since. Reminder that Joest and Mazda just split up too so there's that heavenly match ready to get working together again!

Great news indeed!!! Now dreaming about Porsche following that movement

No, that would be the worst thing to happen actually. Audi retired in WEC after Porsche joined them, the same case happens now in the Formula E, I don't want to see this happening a thrid time! :lol: It's such a waste of money ...

Last edited:
Why Porsche need this LMDh, it sits nicely in GT, and shows interest only in Electrical machinery. It will be not rational to spend so much money on technology only to play a ball with Audi and Toyota for title. Nowadays LeMans not worth it.

If only it will be full electric prototypes, then I would expect Porsche to come.

Are LMDh machinery absolutely on par with the hyperclass? Or is this like the hybrid vs non hybrid scenario we had for years in LMP1?

I wouldnt expect Audi to put a programme together if it wasn't in with a realistic chance to win overall victory.

Are LMDh machinery absolutely on par with the hyperclass? Or is this like the hybrid vs non hybrid scenario we had for years in LMP1?

I wouldnt expect Audi to put a programme together if it wasn't in with a realistic chance to win overall victory.
Well... put it this way. When Aston Martin pulled out of Hypercars, it cited the inclusion of LMDh as a reason - although it was also experiencing serious financial issues, which the ACO strongly hinted at being the real reason in a quite terse response.

https://www.gtplanet.net/aston-martin-puts-the-brakes-on-the-valkyrie-race-car-project/

Last edited:
Officials of porsche confirmed german medias that Audis return doesnt have any influence about their decision if they return too.

Well... put it this way. When Aston Martin pulled out of Hypercars, it cited the inclusion of LMDh as a reason - although it was also experiencing serious financial issues, which the ACO strongly hinted at being the real reason in a quite terse response.

https://www.gtplanet.net/aston-martin-puts-the-brakes-on-the-valkyrie-race-car-project/
Thanks for that link, I seemed to have missed this information.

Seems bizarre to gave 2 different regs fighting for top honours in Le mans :/

I loved the look and era of the prototypes so I am glad they are sticking around but the push to the hyper class seems dumb if manufacturers can still enter prototypes which are on par performance wise!

Audi not compete against Toyota, SCG and By kolles? or LMDH is in the same level of Hypers?
Yes, they are supposedly equivalent categories. LMDh is LMP2-based with four spec chassis (Dallara, Oreca, Ligier, Multimatic), a spec gearbox (Xtrac), hybrid battery (Williams) and motor (Bosch), manufacturer body and combustion engine. They are balanced with BOP to match Le Mans Hypercars...

... in theory.

Although i am a Formula E fan and find it kinda sad that Audi is leaving(pls do not kill me for my opinion)i´m really excited for Audi´s return. 6 years (from 2023) without a german win are enough, Komm schon Audi. And hopefully Porsche joins them to show them all who´s boss.

Back