3D Modelling, Post your 3D models! (Cars, Planes, People, Landscapes etc!)

I edited my previous post. The picture SHOULD show up now. You can still visit my blog post to learn more about me making this model.

100% Modeled and rendered in Solidworks.

incarcerate-004.JPG

With the extent of my modeling skill and my understanding of SketchUp, I managed to create my first SketchUp model. Here is a look at it:

SketchUp_Hatchback_zpsvt43zblj.png

my blog post (in case the image doesn't view in this post, or visit to learn more about this model)

Honestly, I could have created this entire model in maybe no more than two hours if I worked on it endlessly. I basically took a total of maybe 5-6 hours to make this very simple model. My work is a combination of low polygon modeling but with SOME detail. The real details were mostly with the back lights and the muffler. While SketchUp is easier to work with, I wish there were a few features from Blender that I think would be great for modeling in SketchUp. For one, I liked things like choosing vertices and also making loop cuts. I can actually imagine using SketchUp to make my models as efficiently as I can.

OFF-TOPIC: A problem with the last model I posted was from using Google Photos. I'm now using Photobucket to share my images. So the image should show as far as I know. If not, I'll edit.

I am still inexperienced with 3D models. Lately, I have been using Wings3D. I previously been using SketchUp as the last program I've made models with. My skills with 3D are still fairly limited, but this is something simple I've come up with recently:

SwordWings3D_zpsjkyz18td.png

Blog post: "Wings3D" on "John's Creative Space"

Wings3D is harder than SketchUp, but easier than Blender. I am sticking with low polygon models with low to medium detail as a mark of my level of experience making 3D models. So this is nothing spectacular in design. On the other hand, this is something to simply gain 3D experience and also to add to my portfolio of all media I have produced. One ultimate sort of goal is to make 3D models for certain games. And there you have the latest 3D creation of mine.

I'm working on a lo-fi planet in the Blender Game Engine. So far I've created the ground, a sealevel (although at the moment it's more like lakes - I need to do some landscape sculpting to connect them into an ocean), a sunlamp and a skylamp, and basic untextured materials. The plan is to add a custom gravity script so that the game objects are pulled towards the center of the planet, rather than along the global z-axis.

I haven't figured out how to do the sky yet, as it would have to be able to shift between day and night... maybe just a skybox that is bright at one end and dark at the other?

planet.jpg

Update:

Added a basic ground texture (forest, dirt, ice) and started sculpting the landscape to create oceans and islands.

planet_2.jpg

Last edited:
da.jpg

Creating the Goodyear Test track in Blender for Assetto Corsa

I did a curve around the inner edge of the road, overlap, the the outer edge of the road.

Then I added alltitude points (the real ones) to the 100+ curve points I had, giving it the right alltitude throuout the track.
And because inner and outer edge were done seperately, even the camber in the bends should be near the real thing.

Now on putting textures on it. Still playing around a lot. First time Blender.

Then the road edges will be done. alternating between ditches, curbs and rails.

Then the terrain around it.......

So much to do

Is someone really talented here in case I would have a question?

A long time ago, I had mentioned I had plans to try to make tracks for rFactor through Blender. These days, I have been interested in modeling cars. Every day I tend to think about new ways to model material. Recently, I made a rudimentary car in Wings3D using certain techniques. Of those techniques, I took advantage of the Intrude tool, which basically hollows out the inside of certain models. You have to be careful, though, because the Intrude feature hollows out one specific object. So you will need to make whatever you may be trying to Intrude into its own object to avoid having the rest of the model suffer. I do have some new confidence in creating models playing around with Wings3D.

I haven't made anything else as of this post. All I wanted to do is just make mention of the fact I had plans to model tracks with Blender. I am still intrigued with the work of you all here on GTPlanet with your 3D modeling.

I made one trophy in Blender as my first-ever true 3D model. Now, I tried making one in Wings3D. The Wings3D one is actually a re-make of a similar model I attempted. Only that with what I've learned in making and modifying models, I applied those lessons in re-creating something previously unfinished. Here is one of my latest models:

BasicTrophy-Cycles_zpszjdrsbs8.png

Blog Post: Basic Trophy

I really feel my 3D skill is improving with Wings3D. What I eventually want to make are cars and characters. I even want to make material for games. Sort of an ultimate goal would be to design cars for GTR2 and/or rFactor. That, however, will mean I need to really enhance my 3D skills as well as make material worthy to be played in such games. Don't expect me to re-create real-world racing series or cars or anything, though. For now, I am mostly focused on trying to get relevant and also trying to gain experience making various kinds of 3D models. This is only a start.

One last note... in case you are wondering, I have had an interesting knack for creating trophies for some reason. So that kind of explains why I've made more trophies than other models. I do still believe in making all kinds of content that I'm happy to try to publish online. At one point, I did envision making my own anti-gravity racing ship, a la WipEout. All I am basically is just someone with ideas. That, and the creative spirit to try to turn visions into reality. I can only get better over time. Let this be of motivation to others who may need some creative spark or spirit.

With my limited 3D experience, I decided to make a picture showcasing all of the true 3D models I created. So this is a sign of progress to me:

My3DJourneySoFar_zpshrs4xgyt.png

My Creative Works Site

Most important to me at this point is to simply gain experience. Then, it is time to take on more interesting and more challenging models. I kid you not when I say that I've been trying for mostly 15-20 years to try to successfully make a 3D model. It wasn't until that one Blender model I shown you in a past post in this thread that I finally got over that hump. I am now simply making models for fun as well as hoping people will pick up my work and use them. With the picture I provided, the item on the left is a sword, the center model is a trophy, and the model on the right is a trident. I eventually want to make models like cars and characters. I basically care about variety more than always focusing on a certain kind of item. I think it is better to show a range of talent rather than mostly focus on one specific thing. So I am only going to make and share models to which I feel confident and comfortable enough sharing.

One thing I learned in modeling is how to preserve certain shapes if one attempts to smoothen models. If you don't provide certain points in your model's topology, if you try to smoothen/subdivide it, you may get some funky results. So what I did was provide loop cuts near certain edges where I want a certain overall shape to be maintained. Another alternative would be to bevel certain edges where you want a certain overall shape to be maintained. Models don't have to be smoothened, but just be wary of this in case you do want to smoothen models.

The main thing again here is that I am simply making models to build up a portfolio as well as take on different 3D challenges. I am not ready for hyper-realistic models just yet. I may never attempt anything hyper realistic. All I do know is that building confidence in my 3D work is all that matters right now for me.

Okay. Let me try to set this up.

Earlier tonight, I was working with Wings3D practicing making a cartoon-style car (or toon car). I was no real intent on designing something overly realistic or anything. What ended up happening was that I modeled my car's topology to a level where I was somehow hooked on trying to make something completely different from what I was trying to practice modeling! So I went from making a toon-style car, to this instead...

SportsCar%20WIP_zpso3ebnsdr.png

My Creative Works Site and My Creative Works Blog

Sometimes, Wings3D can be addicting trying to make models or learning how to enhance your modeling skills. This is the feeling at least I get. I started applying all kinds of touches to try to enhance my modeling skills. This is not a proper model of mine- the wheels and tires were added just to see how a proper set of tires would look on the car. Isn't a weird feeling when you try to make one thing... but you end up making something different instead?

Maybe I finish this up and decide to offer it as a proper model, or maybe I just consider this unlikely sports car to be something that just jumped out of my mind and took control of my creative spirit. Either way, it is strange I ended up making this instead of practicing making a cartoon car.

Most of my time 3D modeling was spent practicing making UV maps and in trying to model more material. Through my recent practices, I developed one model that I envision UV mapping and another model to say that I mapped another kind of model. These two pictures represent two of my latest efforts:

SUVScreenshot_zpsokxrhdty.png

Prototype-WIP_zpsjvoniy2h.png

Making basic geometry and topology is easy, but there is a reason why more polygons are used. You get more detail out of your models, and you also get some better performance with certain effects. I remember in Blender 3D when I added some more polygons to certain parts of a model for a better looking cloth effect. You get better definition of certain effects and certain features. Wings3D is a straight-up modeler rather than some all-in-one 3D suite (like Blender). Actually with my race car model, I had to try to remove a few unnecessary edges and vertices that was screwing up the geometry of my model. Most of it was underneath the car and even at the back around the mufflers.

I am getting better, but I am NOT expecting making anything extremely detailed any time soon. So don't expect me to re-create any character or car in realistic detail. These are still some of my latest efforts. Before I leave, thank all of you who gave likes to my modeling work. I know I can be better, but I am slowly trying to gain experience.

Slowly trying to build up my 3D experience, I went ahead and made another quick model last night. Here is my latest:

Stool-BlenderCR_zpskbhd8rlp.png

Yeah- have a seat! :) I am not ready to make anything truly spectacular yet. Not even my vehicle models are what I consider "spectacular" as of this moment. Anyhow... the model, as you can tell, is a stool. It is a stool with a modern design to it. This image is a Blender render using the Cycles Render feature. You may be wondering what the nine squares on the floor are. Well, that is the lighting setup I am using for Cycles Render images. I have nine squares emitting light. Remember- I am still learning and still trying to find ways to improve my 3D skills. What I have been able to come up with so far is at least remotely admirable. I have yet to make something even close to what some of the more talented 3D modelers make. This is the fifth-ever true 3D model I've created and released.

Besides this model, I am torn between offering a tire and wheel model for my vehicles or offering vehicle models without wheels. I realize I could make a UV map texture that includes the tire and wheel setup, but I could leave it to the person who downloads a model to either take that wheel model and duplicate it to fit the wheel wells, or let the user use his/her own wheels to put into the wheel wells. A lot of game vehicle models don't have the wheels to them. They are instead programmed through something like definitions in XML or some other kind of coding to set the position of certain items. This can be tricky for me if I decide to make certain vehicles and try to give them some wheels. Such examples include almost any Caterham or almost any formula-type racing car.

Nothing special here, but this is just the latest 3D model I've created. I am still developing vehicles as well as characters. You can view my creative works site or creative works blog for more info on my creations.

I have had an interesting knack for creating trophies for some reason. So that kind of explains why I've made more trophies than other models.

:lol: I know that feeling! I made a lot of real world trophies about 10 years back and have been looking on old drives but can't find them. Since I read your post on Saturday I've been itching to remodel some (I don't know what's wrong with me either) and I finally made a start last night.

Let this be of motivation to others who may need some creative spark or spirit.

That it was. I'll post a picture of what I have got done so far, possibly later. Thanks for the inspiration. 👍

Guess what I made recently?

MarbleTrophy-CR_zpscpt2r9k6.png

(If the image doesn't appear, it is because Photobucket couldn't load a plugin from my attempted posting of this image. If the image DOES appear, disregard this note.)

ANOTHER trophy! This one more inspired by a blue marble trophy I remember from playing "Ridge Racer V." My continued education of making 3D models has taken me to trying something like twisting some of the edges. I was kind of considering making the faces look a bit more interesting between the base and the cup, but I thought otherwise. My experience is still fairly limited, and I am not ready for the ultra-detailed and hyper-realistic 3D modeling scene.

As of this post, I am also working on another sword. I am also trying to create my first 3D character and even my first 3D robotic character. Another attempt of mine was to make my first true 3D scene, mostly inspired by stands at fairs and exhibitions. So I am keeping myself rather busy.

I am mostly using Wings3D for my modeling. For me, I will mostly use Blender for two reasons- (1) certain modeling effects impossible to do in Wings3D, and (2) use for setting up certain rigging and animation effects (such as cloth simulation). I like Wings3D because it's simple and intuitive in making models. I have much more control without feeling like I'm making a big mess like I do when I use Blender. Then too, Blender is a do-everything 3D program.

Another thing of note... I've almost entirely stopped using SketchUp since I now think Wings3D is a finer program. I may probably use certain textures from SketchUp if I plan on making textures for certain objects.

I am mostly using Wings3D for my modeling. For me, I will mostly use Blender for two reasons- (1) certain modeling effects impossible to do in Wings3D, and (2) use for setting up certain rigging and animation effects (such as cloth simulation). I like Wings3D because it's simple and intuitive in making models. I have much more control without feeling like I'm making a big mess like I do when I use Blender. Then too, Blender is a do-everything 3D program.

Another thing of note... I've almost entirely stopped using SketchUp since I now think Wings3D is a finer program. I may probably use certain textures from SketchUp if I plan on making textures for certain objects.

Sketchup is a great tool.. to a point. I can create something roughly along the lines of what I want in SU way faster than blender. But Blender's SubSurf modifier, and the ability to work with vertices, trumps SU by a mile - even ignoring the rest of the features it has. Steep learning curve, but seeing what people in this thread are capable of is an inspiration for me.

I plan on building up an environment in Blender for a game that I plan on making, but I haven't used Blender and Unity in years. I may try to practice more often, just cannot wait to show you guys my environments!

I need some UV tutorials and I wouldn't mind making things realistic.

I updated Unity3D recently and tried to use it to test some of my models. I seriously need to learn Unity3D. Unity3D is as complex for gaming as Blender is for 3D modeling. Models I have created have been imported properly and look great in Unity3D. Only negative is that I haven't set up a light source, so my models come out dark when viewed.

Meanwhile, here is one of my latest 3D creations. It is one of my most interesting modeling jobs yet:

DivineSword-CR_zpstc2qqkvp.png

This is my "Divine Sword." Want to banish evil with the swing of a blade? This may be the tool for you to dole out justice. Making this model was another trial in extruding and edge loops. I was really feeling good making this model by modeling the hilt as well as adding crystals on the blade. It still looks mostly basic, but I did feel I've done good adding certain details to it.

Thanks to all of you who gave "likes" to my work. I appreciate the love. You all make some great 3D models yourselves.

These trophies are RENDERS? Inconceivable! Excellent job here! Shoot, I almost imagine I was on Leicester City partying all night with the Premier League trophy seeing this picture.

Besides this, I have been trying to develop characters in 3D. An unusual inspiration for my character creation is Final Fantasy 7, mostly the models not from the battle scenes. These are inspirations in trying to generate the rough geometry of characters. Afterwards, I intend on trying to rig them in Blender (model in Wings3D, of course) and perhaps even try to UV map my models.

I haven't done much on the car modeling front. I am actually still undecided on making car models without tires and wheels or just supplying one wheel for the would-be user to duplicate to each of the wheel wells. I am considering the latter. What I do is place a wheel in the left-front wheel well. This will make it easier to put tires elsewhere, like the left rear. The left-side tires could then be duplicated to fill the wheel wells on the right-hand side. Duplicated on the right-hand side and rotated 180° across the Y-axis. Just not a lot of progress on that front.

I haven't attempted making a scene, but I'd like to. One thing I was visualizing was trying to make race tracks. The simplest, most basic concept of mine was a short banked oval. What I eventually would like to do is take some past tracks I created and giving them realistic makeovers. Had I the money, I would have paid to get 3DSimEd or Bob's Track Builder since I have rFactor (and maybe GTR2) in mind.

Anything else I do make will probably be in better detail on my site or in any of my blogs.

Thanks John, making a racetrack would be something I'd like to try again too. Like yourself the most ambitious track so far for me was also an oval. I remember trying to get into the Assetto Corsa mod tools a while back but I think the guide and tutorials were still in Italian at the time. I might try again because the obvious motivation for making the track is that I would be able to drive it.

I've never really tried cars or characters to be honest. I'm more into architectural type modelling. Stadiums, skyscrapers, churches and any other structures of interesting design. Done my fair share of UVing props and rigging characters back in the Source Engine days though. I don't miss it :lol:

My PC probably can't handle Assetto Corsa, so I'll stick to rFactor and (maybe) GTR2. I could probably build a simple race track with a few different edge loops and extrusions along with some simple adjustments in moving certain edges. Just don't ask me to re-create Complex String, any course using the Nürburgring Nordschleife, or the Snaefell Mountain Course (Isle of Man TT course) though. My current level of 3D skill isn't on that level.

On a different note, I have learned using Wings3D that you can properly set up a model for UV mapping if you utilize materials. An easy way to do so is to simply color up parts of a model in certain colors. It makes it easier for unwrapping, and you get a bit better control than letting the program automatically determine what elements of a model should be mapped as such. That is what I may consider doing in trying to create my first textured model. Also, it probably helps that a model is separated into pieces to make the UV mapping process easier. Just make sure to piece everything together when done.

I am willing to start a thread regarding enhancing skills making 3D models if there isn't one already. I feel I discuss a lot of material that I think will benefit other 3D modelers. Just don't want these discussions to go for nothing. So I'll see what I can do, if anything.

In my self-education of 3D modeling and in continuing to enhance my skills, I went from making some of my first vehicles to now...

CHA-Develop_zpsua9kcqzg.png

My Creative Works Site and My Creative Works Blog

...my first character. One of the reasons why I've struggled to make characters was because I have rigging in mind as well as advanced modeling in making hands and heads. Anyone who may have seen proper models of characters may have seen all kinds of edge loops and such in designing heads and hands. I have not mastered making such detailed head models. As of this Work in Progress model, though, it is fairly simple. I am more concerned about making rough geometry and then refining it. Certain shapes and such ultimately get refined. One thing every 3D modeler should learn is to take advantage of making more edge loops to preserve certain shapes when smoothing models. Some models end up looking funky when you either don't specify certain edge loops, bevel certain edges, or specify hard edges to models and try to model them.

Since rough geometry is what I work on a lot, most of my inspiration to use such shapes come from in-game material in Final Fantasy 7. Not the models used in battle scenes in FF7, but more like going around in the world and stuff like that. I didn't want the models to look REALLY like they belong in Final Fantasy 7 (I would if I could). I just care about simplicity. You are NOT going to see me make something hyper realistic or overly detailed, like you would with 3D Studio Max, Maya, or ZBrush, or even highly-detailed Blender work or whatever. This is stll one of my best efforts to date. One of my real ambitions is to make available a lot of my own original characters and offer them in rigged versions for any number of applications.

Making 3D models is a great deal of work. It would be cool seeing many more 3D works from more people here on GTPlanet, even if certain models are of basic things. I do enjoy sharing my work with you all even though I am still not as experienced and as talented making 3D models.

Latest Posts

Back