3D Modelling, Post your 3D models! (Cars, Planes, People, Landscapes etc!)

Had the idea to create a scene for each one of my childhood computers/consoles and the environment in which they were located. Lost all motivation when I realised how many machines I have owned over those years. :lol:

Ahhh, my first love with my true love :embarrassed:

View attachment 632087

View attachment 632092

View attachment 632090

Hopefully I'll finish what I started for once in my modelling life.

Last edited:
I think I've finished it.

8jaE8y2.jpg

Looks really nice. Would you mind posting the wireframe? I'm not a pro or anything but I feel you could make it more realistic with a bit more attention to topology in certain areas like the panel transitions, roof and such.

Thanks, I might just add some finishing touches, some areas aren't as detailed as others. The images below are not sub-divided but the original model.

knP9vKM.jpg

dxivTmC.jpg

Thanks, I might just add some finishing touches, some areas aren't as detailed as others. The images below are not sub-divided but the original model.

Nice, solid model but I'll give you few tips and critiques that helped me a lot..

1. When modelling with subdivision you should try to stick to roughly evenly sized quads (four sided polys). In your wireframe there seems to be a lot of triangles and n-gons( polys with 5+ sides)

-The door handle area lacks the indented part, here's one way to do that (assuming you are using blender?)
Inkeddoor_LI.jpg

- The bulge on the hood, you made it as a separate piece but in reality they are joined. If topology is a problem maybe this example could help you incorporate these kinds of parts into flat surfaces without breaking the surrounding flow. Like the door above, you make a clean simple mesh with quads, when the overall shape is right cut in whatever shape you need with knife tool and extrude or delete as necessary.
dodge.jpg

-about the flow, try to localize complex areas and contain edges so you don't have to continue running edges you needed on, for example, wheel wells onto the hood where they are not needed and just give you unnecessary headache

- For more realism you could add thickness to the panels as otherwise the car looks paper thin or unconvincing. Just extrude the edge of the panel inward so you get something like this:
Inkeddoorthickness_LI.jpg

Different model but same thing,the rendered car has some thickness in the panels. Subtle thing but helps make renders more realistic.
Inkedlatest_LI.jpg

- try making sure your curved surfaces have a constant curvature with evenly spaced and sized polys, For example, your rear wheel wells and parts of the bumper(hole around the radiator) look wobbly. With curved surfaces like wheel arches it's good to start with the curve first and build the surrounding geometry from there.

- looking at the panels, it's as if the hood doesn't match up with the top of the bumper, same with the door/front fender area. A good idea is to get the whole shape of the area right and then cut the panel lines with the knife tool. Or simply extruding the existing verticles onto the next panel. This ensures you have flowing topology across different panels.

-try replicating the creases in the bodywork. Add edge loops to make edges sharper. For example your front wheel should have a sharp crease, as should the door line i pointed in the pic. Another crease below that one, very sharp but on your model it's barely visible.

-Your roof seems kind of flat on the sides with a sharp raised point in the center, try going for a more smooth transition to the sides

-Your model is accurate in overall shape, so try not to skip smaller details like the door crease extending to the front fender. On your model it doesn't continue onto the fender. Take note where lines and surfaces start and end. Constantly compare your model with reference photos, never rely just on blueprints.

I marked the above comments on the pic, compare with your model:
InkedNismo-Nissan_Skyline_R34_GTR_Z_Tune-2005-1600-05_LI.jpg
8jaE8y2.jpg

Again, it's a really good model but keeping these things in mind could improve your modelling dramatically, so it's good to keep it in mind for your next car. Hope this helps, keep it up 👍.

Last edited:
Nice, solid model but I'll give you few tips and critiques that helped me a lot..

1. When modelling with subdivision you should try to stick to roughly evenly sized quads (four sided polys). In your wireframe there seems to be a lot of triangles and n-gons( polys with 5+ sides)

-The door handle area lacks the indented part, here's one way to do that (assuming you are using blender?)View attachment 632958

- The bulge on the hood, you made it as a separate piece but in reality they are joined. If topology is a problem maybe this example could help you incorporate these kinds of parts into flat surfaces without breaking the surrounding flow. Like the door above, you make a clean simple mesh with quads, when the overall shape is right cut in whatever shape you need with knife tool and extrude or delete as necessary. View attachment 632959

-about the flow, try to localize complex areas and contain edges so you don't have to continue running edges you needed on, for example, wheel wells onto the hood where they are not needed and just give you unnecessary headache

- For more realism you could add thickness to the panels as otherwise the car looks paper thin or unconvincing. Just extrude the edge of the panel inward so you get something like this: View attachment 632960
Different model but same thing,the rendered car has some thickness in the panels. Subtle thing but helps make renders more realistic.
View attachment 632961

- try making sure your curved surfaces have a constant curvature with evenly spaced and sized polys, For example, your rear wheel wells and parts of the bumper(hole around the radiator) look wobbly. With curved surfaces like wheel arches it's good to start with the curve first and build the surrounding geometry from there.

- looking at the panels, it's as if the hood doesn't match up with the top of the bumper, same with the door/front fender area. A good idea is to get the whole shape of the area right and then cut the panel lines with the knife tool. Or simply extruding the existing verticles onto the next panel. This ensures you have flowing topology across different panels.

-try replicating the creases in the bodywork. Add edge loops to make edges sharper. For example your front wheel should have a sharp crease, as should the door line i pointed in the pic. Another crease below that one, very sharp but on your model it's barely visible.

-Your roof seems kind of flat on the sides with a sharp raised point in the center, try going for a more smooth transition to the sides

-Your model is accurate in overall shape, so try not to skip smaller details like the door crease extending to the front fender. On your model it doesn't continue onto the fender. Take note where lines and surfaces start and end. Constantly compare your model with reference photos, never rely just on blueprints.

I marked the above comments on the pic, compare with your model:
View attachment 632962 View attachment 632963

Again, it's a really good model but keeping these things in mind could improve your modelling dramatically, so it's good to keep it in mind for your next car. Hope this helps, keep it up 👍.

Thank you so much for the helps and tips! 👍👍

A problem I made was I relied on the blueprints too much but never used photo references. I use blender. Your Mustang looks premium! :)

Last edited:
I only learnt to work with solidwork 3 months ago because university and this is the group project that I turned in today. I made the renders and I didn't have a clue of what I was doing, so yea. The materials don't match that well, but eh, for a first real effort, it's ok :lol:

Render 2.JPG

Here are three pictures of me practicing making a race track. The overall goal is to make something for a game, whether for a game or of my own development. I am using Wings3D for my 3D modeling.

Making an oval track from a cylinder:
37106924950_a52e7b46ca.jpg

Making an oval course while adding objects:
37363217381_c72c12b411.jpg

Making a road course by applying bending techniques:
37106924760_fcac24bebd.jpg

Corresponding blog post to these models

(1) I took a cylinder and did my fair share of extruding and vertex editing to get it to this shape. It was not supposed to be Bristol Motor Speedway or anything- I simply practiced making an oval course. I then wanted to try something more interesting.

(2) I tried making a track that had objects around it so that it didn't look overly deserted. So I added grandstands, a gate, garages, and the outside wall- all are separate meshes. A beautiful thing about 3D modeling is that you can scale models to your liking so you can add extra polygon details. Because this was mostly basic, I didn't go for trying to add extra details to anything. I wanted to perhaps make the grandstands more interesting with a canopy design or something. I actually also wanted to try to model out the inside of the garages so you could actually rest in the garage and head out onto the track when you're ready. I actually wanted to do a bit more with this course than what I initially intended the track to be- merely a practice run at modeling a track.

(3) This is my proudest accomplishment of the three not only because it is a road course I tried to model, but I learned how to bend the geometry to make smoother corners. These smoother corners were made by extruding extra parts of the course while adding a handful of vertices and edges to allow for a smoother appearance. These are the smoothest corners for any track model run I executed. My only regret is that I probably coult have made the final corner heading to the Start/Finish area smoother heading into that front stretch.

One thing to note is that with all three of these tracks, the track itself is flat. I haven't yet mastered designing a course with elevation changes or overpasses. This is something I obviously hope to change when I get more experienced at modeling a race track. A game focus for me would be GTR2, rFactor, and maybe even NR2003. Because I am not as experienced, I even went back briefly to play Sports Car GT on my PC simply to study modeling race tracks. I even looked at Unreal Tournament 2004 for 3D modeling insight as well as the possibility of me designing vehicles as a possibility of my 3D modeling work.

Anything else cool I come up with will be shared in my blogs and in my creative works site. I hope you like what I produced here.

Thank you for your support, Pezzarinho17! I actually only recently returned to 3D modeling after a rather long hiatus. I seriously recommend Wings3D for any novice or relatively inexperienced modeler. Making quality models is easier with Wings3D than even SketchUp, in my opinion. Blender (also free) can do modeling much better than Wings3D, but Wings3D shouldn't be overlooked.

I am still in the practice stage. Not ready to delve into taking on significant projects yet. I kind of had a funny vision. I wanted to imagine maybe designing a course that somehow became a round of one of the Fantasy Series here on GTPlanet. Either that, or a major one-off race featuring my creation(s). Like maybe I designed an oval or road course event that was part of the GTPlanet Fantasy Series, for example. Not saying it would happen, but it's an interesting vision I had. Anything I do create as far as locations will be fantasy. I have no interest in re-creating real courses or locations. I should, though practice making a real course or making something from Google Maps or Google Earth as part of my modeling runs.

One other thing I probably didn't mention was that I was looking back at various 3D racing games for inspiration. Since my 3D modeling skills aren't impressive, I've looked to games such as GT1, GT2, Sports Car GT (PC version), SEGA GT, and the like for track modeling. I am even looking to "Real Racing 3" for some 3D modeling insight in making tracks. I could develop some game or something if I have enough motivation and skill. You actually could develop your own game using Blender. However, I haven't overlooked Unreal Engine or Unity3D.

To everyone who liked my work so far, thank you! I can only get better. The best is yet to come, as we say! :)

I tried to design a practice course again. This time, attempting to add elevation changes and even an overpass. My best effort after playing with edges:

37352729762_ff2df14c5c.jpg

Corresponding blog post

I actually made one other practice run, but because of some kind of issue trying to properly get my track's geometry to connect properly, I destroyed my first attempt and made this one as my second attempt.

One thing I realized is that if I am to make a track for a game, I have to consider making the track followed by all of the different objects. If you used something like Bob's Track Builder, Race Track Builder, 3DSimEd, or any such program, I am learning you have to build the track first followed by adding all the different objects. I haven't yet figured out how I would implement such material if I seriously designed a course for a game or for my own development. With these practice runs of mine, though, I am at least learning how to design a basic course. It does sort of make sense to design the track and terrain on their own while adding in the objects where they need be. I just have my qualms about designing a location and its objects while trying to get everything properly positioned. Like, can I properly get the grandstands in the right place? What about the hay bales or tire barriers? What about the pedestrian bridges? I am still learning. And... that's all I can do.

I do know I will need to import models as objects if using 3DSimEd to make courses for games. Bob's Track Builder and stuff have some ready-made stuff from XPacks that you just drop in. This method would allow you to model out individual elements of courses to your liking before adding them into your track.

Thanks to all whom have supported my work- not just these track pictures, but all of my 3D work I've shared on GTPlanet.

By revisiting quite a few PlayStation 1 games, I was continuing my studying of modeling 3D race tracks. Part of the process involves seeking various forms of inspiration to try to design material. I have the modeling style down mostly. No matter how much you want to design something, you need some proper insight from past games. So I tried out making some so-so models based on past games. One model I put into practice was one of a few grandstands. So from the most recent picture of a race track I made a test run at, I envisioned it with grandstands. This is my test:

23652459248_b75554c38c.jpg

Before I made this image, I scaled up the race track so that I wouldn't need to scale down the grandstands. I really need to have more patience with Unity3D as far as testing my material for game development. All or most of what you see from me is either me slowly evolving as a 3D modeler mostly is about trying to make something for games. Either that, or just modeling stuff "because I can."

You do need to practice new techniques and then apply them. I almost want to try making more detailed cars. I am not thinking anything close to today's models, but I somewhat think I can try some nicer details. For example, I thought about making the light cluster for the Audi R8 (1st Gen) or the Bugatti Chiron. I just don't have the patience or skill to make something intensely detailed. I barely once modeled a car with an interior. And it wasn't much of an interior to begin with. You want to try more complicated material when you get more experienced. I could probably do much better if I took classes or something (like someone here on GTPlanet who modeled Brands Hatch as a project for school), but I am still plenty confident using Wings3D even if it doesn't have as many features as Blender or even any of the better 3D modeling programs.

Thanks for reading! :)

Been working on a model for a while but some strange shader bug has occurred?

K3W2Lad.png

Above I have the difference between "smooth" and "flat"

dF7vc9t.jpg

I haven't been able to solve this issue for a while now. Any help would mean a lot.

In re-learning Blender, I took one of my test courses and practiced UV mapping. I made some simple textures to map the road and the grass. Here is a look at it:
37838079011_0ef704a3ea.jpg

I actually saw this as I was looking at a YouTube tutorial on making a track for Assetto Corsa. A similar video I saw shown someone use certain colors that could be used as different materials for a track. I am basically learning different methods of designing tracks. Making tracks for games like GTR2 and rFactor 1 are my goals, but I may also develop my own game or something to use with Unity3D or Blender Game Engine. I have also practiced lofting models, but the process is rather tedious, and I haven't seriously mastered lofting or using arrays for models.

I don't have any new art to share for this post- I just wanted to chat for a moment. One of my inspirations in making 3D race tracks was in the rather lacking Course Editor of Gran Turismo 5. A lot of what created courses gave me some ideas as to how to design a race course. There are segments of created courses that kind of repeat themselves. Especially in most of the major 3D modeling programs, you can model a slice of whatever environment you are trying to create and then use splines, curves (regular or NURBS), or whatever to do lofting. I am using Blender for more advanced modeling.

Detailed models are not my forte. However, I have imagined maybe my next sort of 3D projects may be with working vehicles. I have made some vehicles before, though none really complete. I am looking to apply certain techniques I've thought of to try to make more interesting vehicle models. I still lack the patience and skill to make amazing models. The big thing I am focusing on is designing more interesting low-polygon vehicles by using subdivision.

Always try to improve upon your skills when you can. Think of new ways to design your material while also producing some excellent models. And most importantly- put those techniques into practice.

Today I rendered a splash screen in Blender for my GT6 course maker. In terms of 3D modelling it's not that exciting, since it's just a flat plane with a texture on it, but it's still pretty fun to use the Cycles rendering in Blender as a camera simulator :D

The source image:
layOutCreatorScreen.png

The full render:
3drender.png

The final splash screen:
startupScreen.png

borjomi_glossy.png

I made a 3D map of one of my course maker tracks. The elevation is exaggerated, since it would look much too flat using the real values.
It's a relatively simple model. I started with a flat plane that I divided into a grid and added the track map as a texture. Then I raised each point of the grid based on the value of the contour map, added subdivision and rendered smooth.

The raised track was achieved by adding a displace modifier using a texture with just the layout of the track. The same texture was also used as a bump map.

View attachment 685959

I made a 3D map of one of my course maker tracks. The elevation is exaggerated, since it would look much too flat using the real values.
It's a relatively simple model. I started with a flat plane that I divided into a grid and added the track map as a texture. Then I raised each point of the grid based on the value of the contour map, added subdivision and rendered smooth.

The raised track was achieved by adding a displace modifier using a texture with just the layout of the track. The same texture was also used as a bump map.

You can actually add two displacement modifiers (if you're in Max), set the first to your contours and the second to your track image.

EDIT: Ah, saw you're in Blender. I find Blender fries my brain too much!

You can actually add two displacement modifiers (if you're in Max), set the first to your contours and the second to your track image.

EDIT: Ah, saw you're in Blender. I find Blender fries my brain too much!

You can add multiple displacement modifiers in Blender as well, but I only had a contour map and not the actual heightmap, so all it would do is to draw grooves where all the lines are :)

You can add multiple displacement modifiers in Blender as well, but I only had a contour map and not the actual heightmap, so all it would do is to draw grooves where all the lines are :)

Flood-fill each contour with an increasing/decreasing shade of gray, then assign each colour to a displacement height... again, that's how it works in Max. Blender does everything Max does but in a crazily different way :D

I just created a very basic isometric 3D engine.

Code:
def isometricProjection(x, y, z):
    screen_x = (x-y)*0.5*sqrt(3)
    screen_y = (x+y)/2-z
    return (screen_x, screen_y)

Here is a "render" of the Andalusia heightmap from the GT6 course maker (z values are scaled by a factor of 2).

iso (2).png

It's achieved by drawing a fine mesh on top of the scenery, which makes it look like it's shaded since the gap between the lines vary depending on the shape of the terrain.

I made this cartoon-style superhero in Blender. I haven't really done much character modeling before, so this was a nice difficulty level to start with. The biggest challenge was to rig the arms so that they would bend in a smooth curve instead of straight segments, but Bendy Bones did the trick.
superhero.png

Back