3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to revisit/change my earlier ruling as it was made without consulting any other 3D3 steward. :dunce: After some discussion and some testing we feel it's best to stick to the WRS track rules (which will be our defacto standard each week). Therefore, the following pictures show a car using areas that are not considered track and are not valid areas a driver can use to make a pass.

DeepForestRaceway-1.jpg
DeepForestRaceway_3.jpg

If you pull over to let a lead pack by in either of these spots you won't be penalized by us, but not sure what the GT5 programmers think about it as it hasn't been tested fully. But in any case those areas shouldn't be used to gain time or position.

If there are any question or ambiguity we're going to stick with whatever rules are in play for the offline WRS event.

I was mainly going off my experience that when running this track online, once tire wear comes into play and people are pushing hard, even the best intentioned drivers may cut this area on occasion, and the game won't penalize it (to my knowledge).

I'm fine with keeping it out of play, but I would in turn expect that none of the participants abuse the honor system by using this area of the track with a great deal of consistency when running in clean air.

I think running off onto it while within or behind a pack is OK, as it doesn't really provide an advantage in that case..........

EDK
I was mainly going off my experience that when running this track online, once tire wear comes into play and people are pushing hard, even the best intentioned drivers may cut this area on occasion, and the game won't penalize it (to my knowledge).

I'm fine with keeping it out of play, but I would in turn expect that none of the participants abuse the honor system by using this area of the track with a great deal of consistency when running in clean air.

I think running off onto it while within or behind a pack is OK, as it doesn't really provide an advantage in that case..........

👍 We are on the same page.

Now my concern is we made the race too short at 45 laps. :lol: After watching speedy whip around in sub 1'15's regularly lap after lap I'm thinking the race is not going to last more than an hour. Should be right on an hour though with pit stops and 45 laps will introduce the "possibility" of someone doing a 1 stop. I don't know how, but based on the reports above Yanaran might pull it off. I'll just try to get to lap 15 before running out of rubber.

Last edited:
EDK

We aren't at all concerned about those sections being used if necessary (collision avoidance, spin/wobble recovery) but we do not want to encourage/allow it's use otherwise.

It's not track, so we are all expected to be on the honour system in that regard.
The first pic is really what we are trying to avoid.
Two cars going wide into the tunnel may need a bit of extra room, so the wide section to the left will probably come into play a bit (pic 2), however, use of that part of the track in normal (single car) racing should be avoided, as per WRS specifications.

For anyone interested in practicing online I'm using Vagabonds v1 WRS tune with only one modification (so far):
Transmission: Top speed 155mph
LSD: 5/12/7
Suspension
5/-10 <--- 0/+3 for online
18.0/17.1
9/7
9/7
5/5
3.0/1.0
-0.20/-0.20​
Brakes: 3/7
I will probably increase max speed slightly to 158-160 mph once I do some draft testing, but for solo runs it's perfect at 155.

Tire wear is a little uneven with the fronts wearing out faster.

Maybe some of the setup pros can develop a custom online setup for this race that factors in tires. Drivers are encouraged (but not required) to share their online setups in this thread (just like the WRS). 👍

Gravitron
Gooners! Sorry, I just like saying that.

Haha its the nickname of my favourite soccer team. All I play is FIFA and GT5. Yeah definitely looking forward to seeing you out on track, should be fun 👍.

WRP001
Gooners, I will sign you up as a fully registered driver for the EU event unless you think you are "iffy" to make it.

I can definitely do this week. And looks like you guys are set on expanding these races! :cheers:

I'll be singing this tune next week:
I got spa on my PS3, best track in the land
Lord, it's hard to be a married man
I got kids that need bed stories, I got dishes to clean
I got chores and must do everything in between
I got to get my lounge ready, make everything right
Cause all my WRS friends are comin over tonight
:dunce: :dunce:

:lol: Francorchamps Blues (Spa-light version)

Had a quick run earlier online - need a few changes to setup to tame the back end with the online physics. I'll post it here as soon as I've settled on something if anyone wants to run it and we'll have a few days to practice instead of making last minute changes.

This is going to be a mental race - its flat out almost all the way round. :P

I still get some of the names confused, but I'll go out on a limb and say nice one Tim. 👍
(Please don't kill me if I got your name mixed with Marc's.) :lol:

I really need to get started on the WRS week, just bought my car last night. :scared:

P.S. - Chris, it's "Frankorchips" :D

You will not be killed:

WRP001 = Tim
Hydro = Marc
Gravitron = Lucas

Hope you got it started, I did about an hour of driving, sprinkled in with Bob doing 24 laps on Monza to help the HP (I'm so far behind this week!). Having problems just getting under 25sec for T1, ugh, but what a fun combo (when you're not worrying how far behind you are). I guess I'm not fully to 372hp yet, though.

L

I'll be in my lounge practicing on and off today. If you are online and want to join me just check my lounge... or send me a note on PSN if you are in your own lounge and want some company.

Would love to do a few race mode runs to figure out draft and also running closer to another car... I have a pretty good feel for running solo at this point, but only a few laps following closely another car.

EDIT: Biffy and I are in my lounge now if anyone wants to join.

EDIT: Going offline for a while now. Biffy and I ran a 10 lap race and it's *hard* to pass. Draft is fairly strong with the car even on weak setting, but there aren't too many good passing zones. Turn 1 under braking is one, but you have to be careful not to overshoot there and wreck both of you. Unless the front driver gets a bad exit from the last turn it's hard to overtake even with draft before the brake zone. The other turns on the track it's hard to follow close enough and make all those quick apexes so it's mostly rubber banding the distance between you and the other car. Maybe with more draft practice it'll get easier. Obviously pressuring the driver in front into a mistake is another option. In any case, I would recommend practicing in race mode a little with another driver of similar speed. So post here on the thread if you are practicing and want others to join.

Last edited:
Would have loved to join in today, but it looks like the soonest GT5 time I'll get is Sunday night (Pacific US time). 👎 to me.

Appreciate all the time folks are putting into testing, though. Sure it's for your own good, too, but really contributes to all, I believe. 👍

I would like to participate in this race (NA). I was invited by Speedy6543.

My PSN ID is GTP_Allibubba99

Al

I would like to participate in this race (NA). I was invited by Speedy6543.
My PSN ID is GTP_Allibubba99
Al

👍 Speedy is quite the recruiter. You are on the official GTP_Registry so you are *always* invited to our races. Hope you have fun and come back for more every week. :sly:

With all the Canadians on the WRS leaderboard this week I hope more register for the NA race. Welsh-Bain, are you going to join us this week? We could turn the NA event into a "Team Maple Leafs" vs "Team Stars & Stripes" event. :lol: Although seeing how the Maple Leafs have 3 of the top 7 so far on the WRS board I don't like our chances. :scared:

Last edited:
OK, NA Race. I need to watch the masters, might learn something.

Glad you are going to join us again this week RaceRyder. D4 has some good representation this week in the NA event. 👍

Last edited:
👍 Although seeing how the Maple Leafs have 3 of the top 7 so far on the WRS board I don't like our chances. :scared:

Drop a cople hundred pounds of Red White n Blue sand bags in their trunks and they would be catchable...... :lol:

Daytona EU Race Pics 👍
12 Drivers into turn 1.
RoadCourse-Daytona_1copy.jpg

Very Cool 👍
RoadCourse-Daytona_2copy.jpg

Lap 1.
RoadCourse-Daytona_3copy.jpg

Lap 3.
RoadCourse-Daytona_4copy.jpg

Lap 8.
RoadCourse-Daytona_5copy.jpg

Lap 12.
RoadCourse-Daytona_6copy.jpg

RoadCourse-Daytona_7copy.jpg

Lap 13.
RoadCourse-Daytona_8copy.jpg

RoadCourse-Daytona_9copy.jpg

Lap 16.
RoadCourse-Daytona_10copy.jpg

Lap 23.
RoadCourse-Daytona_11copy.jpg

Lap 25.
GTP_Markyboy takes the checkered flag 👍
RoadCourse-Daytona_13copy.jpg

Congratulations Mark! :gtpflag:

Last edited:
Thanks Guys 👍
I must admit, EU race pic 2 took some time to sort out :lol:

Daytona NA Race Pics 👍
The Lucky 7 :D
RoadCourse-Daytona_1copy.jpg

Lap 2.
RoadCourse-Daytona_2copy.jpg

Lap 5.
RoadCourse-Daytona_3copy.jpg

Lap 7.
RoadCourse-Daytona_5copy.jpg

RoadCourse-Daytona_6copy.jpg

Lap 11.
RoadCourse-Daytona_7copy.jpg

Lap 12.
RoadCourse-Daytona_8copy.jpg

Lap 14.
RoadCourse-Daytona_9copy.jpg

Lap 15.
RoadCourse-Daytona_10copy.jpg

Lap 20.
RoadCourse-Daytona_11copy.jpg

Lap 25.
RoadCourse-Daytona_13copy.jpg

GTP_MadMax86 does it again 👍
RoadCourse-Daytona_14copy.jpg

Congratulations Pekka! :gtpflag:

Nice pics there Marc . 👍

EU race , I wanted to get some lead time and pitted in lap 18 IIRC.

NA race , first few laps it was unreal chasing Kevin in the ovals.
Even thought I was in his draft he was as fast as if he was in draft of someone else.
Which he was , Lefty's draft that is.
I could tell Kevin was battling with Lefty when he took the non optimal driving lines here and there and when he dodged something a few times.

MadMax

Great pics Marc, nice looking damage on MadMax's car :).
I don't remember myself being in front of Biffy, must be the first lap :lol:

Oops, forgot to sign up for this weeks race. Hopefully work doesn't get in the way this time round.

Sign me up for the NA race please. :)

Oops, forgot to sign up for this weeks race. Hopefully work doesn't get in the way this time round.

Sign me up for the NA race please. :)

👍

I'll Marc will be hosting practice tonight in my his lounge after the WRS event closes (is it closing today?). Regardless, he'll open the lounge around 5:00 PM Pacific and keep it open through 9:00 PM Pacific. If there are still people running we can extend it also. Feel free to join the lounge anytime. I definitely would like to get some multi-car practice with the draft so if other people join we'll do short 10 lap race runs between free run practice sessions. If a steward is not in the room and the other drivers want to switch to race mode feel free... We'll have it preset for 10 lap races.

I think Hydro is still planning to host a practice session tomorrow in an EU friendly slot (~12:00 PM Pacific), but I'll let him spell out the details. If not I can make my lounge available, but probably won't be able to join much.

EDIT: Marc (GTP_Hydro) is hosting the practice today as my internet is acting sluggish today.

Last edited:
Im in for EU race:tup:

👍 Your added in the lists above.

The D1 drivers in both races should watch out for the formation lap procedures we'll be posting shortly. I'm assuming our pole sitter, based on the WRS lap time, will come from D1 as usual and there will be a few special responsibilities of the pole sitter on the formation lap.

If we could convince Rutter to join the EU slot we'd have all the EU drivers from D1 participating in WRS this week involved... that would be one fast grid. :scared:

EDIT: Marc (GTP_Hydro) is hosting practice (instead of me) tonight starting at 5:00 PM Pacific / 8:00 PM Eastern.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back