3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing gets in the way, I should be there this week for quali and race.

There is no quali session this week, but we do have practice from 7:00 to 7:30 pm PDT. We are doing things a little different this week just to mix it up:

1. Using submitted times for the WRS to set grid order (instead of quali).
  2. Reverse Grid - slowest first, fastest last
  3. Rolling start/formation lap
It's all spelled out in the event detail post.

Because of the pre-determined grid everyone must pre-register (by end of day Tuesday) so we can make sure everyone knows who is where on the grid. Last minute entries are welcome, but they are going to start in the back of the grid to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Not sure about timeframe this week, my fiancee starts a new job tomorrow evening, and I know works Tuesday, just don't know what hours exactly., which means I will if I can keep my 3 year old entertained and out of trouble for the race. (assuming she's working then)

Also, I only ended up getting one session for this week's WRS, nowhere near a great lap, (not even submit-able for me) so I'm willing to simply start at the back, if anything, it could help with any potential lag I would see, but with nobody else on, it's been going pretty well as far as lag issues for me.

Not sure about timeframe this week, my fiancee starts a new job tomorrow evening, and I know works Tuesday, just don't know what hours exactly., which means I will if I can keep my 3 year old entertained and out of trouble for the race. (assuming she's working then)

Also, I only ended up getting one session for this week's WRS, nowhere near a great lap, (not even submit-able for me) so I'm willing to simply start at the back, if anything, it could help with any potential lag I would see, but with nobody else on, it's been going pretty well as far as lag issues for me.

You can PM your best lap time to Gravitron if you don't submit to WRS or start in the back... up to you... both may end up being the same since we're doing fastest in the back anyway. I also haven't had a ton of time so not sure I'm submitting an official lap this week either.

Oh and don't forget to pick a color :lol:

Pink. :lol:
That weird ugly greenish color. (seriously)

I think if the spirit is fastest in back, that's where I should be, even if I won't be fastest, I "should" be. I really don't know, that's what makes stock cars so great to race, it brings most everyone together.

Pink. :lol:
That weird ugly greenish color. (seriously)

I think if the spirit is fastest in back, that's where I should be, even if I won't be fastest, I "should" be. I really don't know, that's what makes stock cars so great to race, it brings most everyone together.

These arcade combo's really do turn into great races. 👍
This week could be as tight as the Mountaineering event, and that would be a hard week to top.
Who would have thought those little Peugeot's could be so much fun? Kevin, I suppose :lol:

If nothing gets in the way, I should be there this week for quali and race.

👍 Hope you can make it!
Need to keep the CANCON levels as high as possible :lol:

Hydro
Need to keep the CANCON levels as high as possible :lol:

USA is 2-0 in the win department so far... Just sayin'... We do love our 'little' neighbor to the north though. :lol:

We're bigger,
Just sayin'...:lol:

That's debatable... Canada has 1.6% more total area. USA has 0.7% more land. Just sayin'

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/simdiff.htm

But I'll trade you our population for your forested and wooded land. 👍

Anyway, we're like brothers the US and Canada. We like to pick on each other and maybe even squabble at times, but if a bully comes around you know which side we're taking.

I have all French-Canadian ancestors myself so you people can't be all that bad. :lol:

That's debatable... Canada has 1.6% more total area. USA has 0.7% more land. Just sayin'

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/simdiff.htm

But I'll trade you our population for your forested and wooded land. 👍

Anyway, we're like brothers the US and Canada. We like to pick on each other and maybe even squabble at times, but if a bully comes around you know which side we're taking.

I have all French-Canadian ancestors myself so you people can't be all that bad. :lol:

Those stats include "territorial waters" - for the US.
We still win, live with it. :dopey:

"you people" - too funny :D
We'll settle this on Wednesday!
Even with your American D1 wringer! 👍

Cool, I added you and your color choice, and ordered the registration list according to the WRS results. 👍

Waffles... Are you racing this week? If so send your best lap time to Gravitron for starting grid position by tomorrow night. Or if you don't have time then you are free to start in back without a quali lap.

Lucas... Should we put quali lap times right in the registration list?

I don't think we need a steward at the *very* back as long as one of the stewards with mic is keeping an eye on the track map and can see the last driver clear the corner. Lucas, just put yourself in your proper grid slot.

Reminder to everyone that penalties are on light, but they can be harsh anyway... Lots of corners to cut on this track and the car gets no acceleration for a few seconds if you cut one. So play it safe rather than going for a WRS type 'on the edge' lap.

I wouldn't be surprised if after 30 laps just about everyone gets at least one penalty.

If it were on snow, the Canadians would win, but we gots us lots of dirt don hur. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think we need a steward at the *very* back as long as one of the stewards with mic is keeping an eye on the track map and can see the last driver clear the corner. Lucas, just put yourself in your proper grid slot.

Reminder to everyone that penalties are on light, but they can be harsh anyway... Lots of corners to cut on this track and the car gets no acceleration for a few seconds if you cut one. So play it safe rather than going for a WRS type 'on the edge' lap.

I wouldn't be surprised if after 30 laps just about everyone gets at least one penalty.

Edit - I'm further up than I thought :)I think I'm 3rd from the rear, and I'll be mic'd so that will work as the rear steward for the start. 👍
But it will still work fine from the midway point.

If it were on snow, the Canadians would would, but we gots us lots of dirt don hur. ;)
:lol:

Last edited:
Hey guys. I would like to take part this week. I'm 98.756% sure I'll be home in time, but never know work schedule. I'll go with the silver car. I'll send friend request tonight when I get home. Thanks, Baron

I would say I'm about 75% for being in for this one. Depends on a few outside factors, but will throw my name in. Sign me up for the Brilliant Blue, and I knew being slower than all of you D3 guys in WRS would work out somehow. ;)

Hi Baron,
Sounds good!
Welcome to the series 👍

EDK
I would say I'm about 75% for being in for this one. Depends on a few outside factors, but will throw my name in. Sign me up for the Brilliant Blue, and I knew being slower than all of you D3 guys in WRS would work out somehow. ;)

👍:lol:
Great to have you on board Kevin, here's hoping 75% increases to 100!

Starting grid edited into the event post back on page 8:
1. GTP_MilleRSVR, Division 4, 1'31.184
2. GTP_EDK, Division 2, Brilliant Blue Pearl, 1'30.300
3. GTP_LeftyWright, Division 3, Ice White, 1'30.278
4. GTP_WRP001, Division 3, Black Saphire Metallic, 1'30.199
5. GTP_Hydro, Division 3, Passion Red, 1'30.008 (unofficial PM submission)
6. GTP_Gravitron, Division 3, Brilliant Blue Pearl, 1'29.979
7. GTPcats_pajamas, Division 2, Electric Silver Metallic, 1'29.871
8. GTP_T13R, Division 2, Ice White, 1'29.794
9. GTP_CSL, Division 1, Electric Silver Metallic, no submitted time
10. GTP_SCBuilder, no Division, Black Saphire Metallic, no submitted time

Folks still have till midnight PDT tonight to submit unofficial times/replays to me, to be included in the grid, otherwise, latecomers will start at the back.

NOTE: I'll be unavailable around 9am-4pm PDT on Wed, in case that matters.

Hey guys. I would like to take part this week. I'm 98.756% sure I'll be home in time, but never know work schedule. I'll go with the silver car. I'll send friend request tonight when I get home. Thanks, Baron

Hi Baron, I sent you a PSN friend request (to GTPcats_pajamas) so all you have to do is accept it and join my lounge for the event. 👍

EDK

Kevin, are you going to attempt to run with ABS 0 during the race? I tried it for a single lap and ended up doing Autumn Ring Reverse in reverse most of the lap.

Last edited:
I'll get a post in the results section and see how much interest we get, is there a particular day/time that suits you Sjaak/Hydro?

I'm pretty easy as far as times go.
It will be the middle of the afternoon here (Toronto, EDT), so it really won't matter to me that much.

I think the original (and very unofficial) UK / International plan was to go for 8PM London time (BDT), which would mean a 3pm start here.

If a different time slot would work better, just let me know. 👍
I'm definitely up for hosting it!

Hi Baron, I sent you a PSN friend request (to GTPcats_pajamas) so all you have to do is accept it and join my lounge for the event. 👍

Thanks, will do. Looking forward to some tough competition.

Because 3D3 Racing is in the business of making [Lefty's] dreams come true this week we're going to be hosting a fun little shootout after the main event. Nobody is required to sign up, just stay on after the "Gettin' Groceries" race if you are interested. Might be late for "East Coasters" so no problem if you drop off after the main event. 👍

We'll set up the lounge as follows for the shootout:

Track: Autumn Ring Mini
Car: PDI Racing Kart 100

Game Mode: Normal Race
Laps: 12
Start Type: Grid Start
Grid Order: Reverse Grid Based on Previous Race Results
Boost | Penalty | Damage | Tire Wear/Fuel Consumption: No/Off
Race Finish Delay: 40 Seconds
Grip Reduction: Low

Car Restriction: Racing Karts Only
Performance Points | Power | Weight | Tire Restrictions: NA
Skid Recovery Force Aid: Off
TCS | Driving Line | ASM : Optional

A lap around this track with a kart takes about 40-42 seconds so each 12 lap shootout should take about 8 minutes. We can run a couple of them depending on demand with a couple minute break between each.

We're estimating the main event will last about 50-55 minutes including the formation lap and pit stops. As soon as the main event is complete we'll configure the lounge for the shootout and allow ~10 minutes for a break and/or practice before the shoot out starts.

In case you can't make the main event, but want to run the shootout you can join my lounge a few minutes before 8:30 PM PST. Best not to join the room before 8:25 PM as it may disrupt people finishing up the main event.

Kevin, are you going to attempt to run with ABS 0 during the race? I tried it for a single lap and ended up doing Autumn Ring Reverse in reverse most of the lap.

I'll turn on the ABS, can't risk a lockup when running in the pack. I just found it to be more consistent for me on the hotlaps, as it required less brake input and made them much more sensitive.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the combo, but never found enough consistency in the second sector to be any sort of threat.

EDK
I didn't spend a lot of time on the combo, but never found enough consistency in the second sector to be any sort of threat.

I spent a lot of time and I still wasn't a threat. I did get more consistent, but never got faster. Once I reached 1'30.2XX it was like hitting a wall and took some black magic just to muster up a .199 for my submission.

I don't think I've ever spent that much time on a combo and still been denied a D3 podium... :ouch:. Hopefully I'll get a little revenge tomorrow night. Too bad gooners isn't running.

I'm pretty easy as far as times go.
It will be the middle of the afternoon here (Toronto, EDT), so it really won't matter to me that much.

I think the original (and very unofficial) UK / International plan was to go for 8PM London time (BDT), which would mean a 3pm start here.

If a different time slot would work better, just let me know. 👍
I'm definitely up for hosting it!

8pm here sounds a good time, I have other GT5 online commitments on Wednesdays and Sundays at this time so it may be a little difficult talking the wife into allowing another night of racing!!:scared: Could even delay it to 10pm here/5pm there so she is asleep!💡
Like I said I'll get a post in the results thread when I get my replay ready to post, see what interest we have and take it from there.

Looks like I need to choose a car color for the race tonight. I'll use Passion Red.

Starting from pole position isn't going to help me much I'm afraid. I'll be driving with the rear view mirror early on. Try not to run me over guys while you are flying past me.:)

Just did a few laps in the racing cart, what a blast.👍 I might stick around after the race for the carting fun.

See you tonight.

I'm interested to take part , but the time frame is a bit late.
If there are any practice rooms open earlyer I'd be happy to join.

MadMax

8pm here sounds a good time, I have other GT5 online commitments on Wednesdays and Sundays at this time so it may be a little difficult talking the wife into allowing another night of racing!!:scared: Could even delay it to 10pm here/5pm there so she is asleep!💡
Like I said I'll get a post in the results thread when I get my replay ready to post, see what interest we have and take it from there.

I'm interested to take part , but the time frame is a bit late.
If there are any practice rooms open earlyer I'd be happy to join.

MadMax

3 am midweek is impossible but I am keen to race in the UK time slot.

How would an 8pm BST start work for you guys?
It would of course be open to all drivers, so maybe some NA drivers will jump in as well.
Feel free to PM your WRS rivals, as others have expressed interest as well.
Just add GTP_Hydro to your FR list, and we will see if we can pull this off 👍

We could run a 30 min. practice session at the top of the hour, with the race starting at half past the hour.
I'll be mic'd so we can have a rolling start, and the event would run exactly the same as the regular NA time race.

I'll be busy for an hour or so, but I'll keep up on my phone. 👍
If a different time can be agreed upon, just post it in the thread.
From here on, we could aim for a consistent time slot in the future.:gtpflag:

...Just did a few laps in the racing cart, what a blast.👍 I might stick around after the race for the carting fun...

+1. It will be worth holding out another 15-20 minutes for a couple rounds of Kart mahem for sure. Hydro and I did a quick 10 lap test last night and it's a blast with 2 people on the track... it'll be even better with more.

Note: There is one setting available on the kart to adjust the single gear. I would request that everyone set that to the default value for the race so there is no tweaking or difference between karts. That setting is nothing we can verify so it's totally on the honor system. It's probably best at default anyway since the draft is ridiculous with Karts and you'll want the extra top end anyway once the pack is up to speed. Hydro tested lowering it to increase acceleration and he ended up topping out on the draft and it slowed him down.

@Blair: Are you good on the formation lap procedures? Since you are locked into the pole at this point you'll be the one leading the parade. Let us know if you have any questions... good thing is you'll be mic'd up so can easily communicate with us during the parade lap.

@ALL: My lounge will be open early tonight (6:00 PM PDT) for any who want to get some last minute practice. Since grid order is pre-determined there will be no qualification and the room will remain in free run mode until the race starts at 7:30 PM PDT. Might be a good time to test tire wear and finalize your pit strategy.

EDIT: Lounge will be open, but I won't be physically at my PS3 until 7:00 PM... I've got some family commitments until 7:00 PM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back