4 New cars to enter JGTC(Supergt)

• Thread starter HKS_T51KAI
  • 73 comments
I wonder why they blocked it out like that. Probably the best reason is so that no one knows what engine it will have or what type of brakes it will have. Kind of weird Mooncraft would do this. But when it hits the track and on to Super GT's pictures, it will be uncensored in racing. And as I said, it's about the first prototype-type race car in JGTC/Super GT since maybe 1996. I think the last prototype-like race car raced in the series was a Porsche 962. Possibilities are endless. They do have nicely-designed livery for the Mooncrafts being campaigned. Dark blue with gold wheels and gold accents. That's kind of like my "team colors" if I had a race team.

JohnBM01
And as I said, it's about the first prototype-type race car in JGTC/Super GT since maybe 1996. I think the last prototype-like race car raced in the series was a Porsche 962.

actually there was the Mclaren F1 GTR and the Vemac 320R too.

No... I am talking more about like, GTP-type autos. The Porsche 962 was a closed-top prototype, and this Mooncraft Shiden deal is a closed-top prototype. I consider the McLaren F1 GTR as more of a GT racer than a prototype. The Vemac RD320, on the other hand, is sort of a special case. I think it is NOT a prototype-style race car. It looks more like a mini GT1 (as in the 1990s GT1 machinery) rather than something like the Bentley EXP GT or the Toyota GT-One.

I would certainly love to see video of this car in action against Super GT competition... just to see it take on the usual suspects of Super GT. America doesn't get J Sports (formerly J-Sky Sports, I believe), or any reliable network package for the Super GT series, so I'll have to hope there's a good Windows Media Player ASX file or something to maybe get video feeds. I'd have to find a 56K one because my house doesn't have Broadband.

Still though, I'd love to see how the Mooncraft would do. My only concern is, I thought most GT500 cars had to weigh about 2600 lbs/1160 kg. I'm not sure about the Mooncraft's weight. That is, unless sanctions have changed.

JohnBM01
No... I am talking more about like, GTP-type autos. The Porsche 962 was a closed-top prototype, and this Mooncraft Shiden deal is a closed-top prototype. I consider the McLaren F1 GTR as more of a GT racer than a prototype.
so you mean the IMSA GTPs?

All the 962's were closed top prototypes, the Bentley Speed 8 is a clsoed top prototype as was the Audi R8R and the second year Toyota TS020 GT-1, the first year was a GT1 car. The IMSA GTPs were just one class of closed top prototypes.

The way I've understood sportscar racing is that GTPs look almost nothing like what you'd see on the road. In fact, not many GTP-type cars have their own road-going version. The Mooncraft "Shiden" looks more like a car to tackle Le Mans than your average GT race car going around Donnington Park or Spa-Franchochamps. You know, if I can pictures of either its real life or die-cast variant, I'll be sure to share links to this auto.

Since the Supra and Skyline don't have recent models yet (Supra quite unknown at this point), we're seeing the respective SC430/Soarer and the Fairlady Z/350Z will take their places. When I was at the 2006 Houston Auto Show, I picked up a BIG booklet on the Lexus SC lineup. I've said in the past that Lexus makes some of the most beautiful and affordable vehicles in America. At a price of about $67K, the SC430 isn't exactly "affordable," but isn't too expensive for luxury-type cars like most Aston Martins, Jaguars, or even Bentleys and Rolls-Royces. To see the SC430/Soarer as the Toyota Supra replacement among top teams, that's huge. It does look nice with the GT500 treatment, though.

I'm going to give the Ford GT a little love now. Ford joins Dodge, Chevrolet, and Mosler as American makes to take on the JGTC/Super GT. Unless I've missed a few, I'd like to see this car do very well. Its street car variant seems to be a nice package for its "low" price of $160K. But look what you get- 500+ hp and 500+ lb. ft. of torque. Plus it looks good. I hope the GT can look good in the series' Japanese and Malaysian rounds.

Last year, the Maserati MC12 gained controversy without turning a wheel by the ALMS and with the FIA. I'm sure the Maserati boys and girls modified the car a lot so it can compete in some Super GT action. This is an awesome car in street trim, and will likely be a sweet auto to take on all makes represented in this series.

I know I say that the Mooncraft is interesting, but I'd want to see all four cars to have great success. I hardly ever wish and make that they fall on their faces and cry in shame. Having said that, I can't wait for March and the first race of the Super GT series in Suzuka. Damn it to hell, won't somebody get on some Super GT coverage in the States?

Nice pics of Ford GT and Soarer race cars. 👍 Looking good!

FireEmblem62
Super GT came to america in 2004 for the All-Star race at California Speedway
My kid brother drove down to Cal to see that one! :mad: <my angry+jealous face.

ND4SPD
The pixelated part of that car made me feel like I was looking at something naughty.
:lol: The report says that engineers didn't want the car shown yet, but looks like he showed off the pics anyway. Too bad he had to "hide" some of it.

Some of the stuff I picked up from the links that John provided on Shiden(means Purple Lightning):

Original concept design is from 1977.

It's shooting for the March debut.

Test run went without any major problems, but there are a lot of fine tuning to be done.

Edit:
JohnBM01
The way I've understood sportscar racing is that GTPs look almost nothing like what you'd see on the road. In fact, not many GTP-type cars have their own road-going version.
Back in the day(when I was a kid), they had Jaguar, Porsche, Nissan, even Buick competing in the IMSA GTP in those Le Mans type race cars. Cars closer to the road-going cars like 300ZX were competing in GTU. I think Steve Millen(Stillen founder) were huge in that.

live4speed
All the 962's were closed top prototypes, the Bentley Speed 8 is a clsoed top prototype as was the Audi R8R and the second year Toyota TS020 GT-1, the first year was a GT1 car.
you mean the Audi R8C.

Attachments

• Le_Mans-1999-06-13-010.jpg
    Le_Mans-1999-06-13-010.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 36
Speed TV, despite being NASCAR-centric, sometimes shows British Touring Car, German Touring Car and Australian V8 Supercar racing. I wish they would show Super GT as well. :indiff:

A6M5, there were actually 4 classes in competition back in the glory days of the IMSA Camel GT series.

1: IMSA GTP - basically, Group C with a large pair of testicles. The cars had more downforce, more power, more brakes, and (oddly enough) more safety.

Definitive IMSA GTP car - Nissan ZXT
Mid-Ohio-1989-06-04-083.jpg

2: IMSA Camel Lights - scaled down GTP cars with smaller tires and production based engines.

Definitive Camel Lights car - Ferrari/Spice
Sebring-1990-03-17-080.jpg

3: IMSA GTO - literally stands for "Grand Touring Over", over meaning Over 5.0 liters of displacement (with a separate displacement limit for turbocharging). Cars were tube framed specialized racing machines, often crossing over with SCCA Trans Am.

Definitive IMSA GTO car - Nissan 300ZX (and yes, Steve Millen headed this project)
Road_America-1990-08-19g-075.jpg

4: IMSA GTU - literally stands for "Grand Touring Under", under meaning Under 5.0 liters of displacement. Chassis similar to GTO, no turbocharging allowed, smaller tires.

Definitive IMSA GTU car - Mazda RX7
Daytona-1989-02-05-017.jpg

Leave it to Layla's Keeper to school us all on sportscar racing... good one, mate.

Heh, I don't do too bad for an open wheel short track guy I suppose.

Just remember, as much as I love sportscar racing (and that is a lot) my first love is these alky-burning, blue-flame spewing, active aero, mile wide Hoosier wearing big block monstrosities that remain the ULTIMATE open wheel machine.

800-ISMA-Cayuga_0108.jpg

Gentlemen, the offset outlaws themselves, ISMA Supermodifieds.

YES! Supermod's are possibly the awesomest racing car EVER. i mean, 850hp in a packages thats under 2,000lbs? Yes please!

ND4SPD
The pixelated part of that car made me feel like I was looking at something naughty.

Me too. It reminded me of internet boobies.

Did Mooncraft do up the Raybrig NSX too?

ultrabeat
Did Mooncraft do up the Raybrig NSX too?
I was under the impression that Mooncraft was just the title sponsor for team kunimitsu. Im not quite sure though.

JohnBM01
The Vemac RD320, on the other hand, is sort of a special case. I think it is NOT a prototype-style race car. It looks more like a mini GT1 (as in the 1990s GT1 machinery) rather than something like the Bentley EXP GT or the Toyota GT-One.
The Vemac is a light road car like the ASL Garaiya, but converted to race car.

As a small reminder, the 2006 season (and sophmore season for Super GT) will start this weekend. So we'll get to see these bad boys in action this weekend. Should be a great season, and these 4 cars mentioned here are four reasons why.

JohnBM01
As a small reminder, the 2006 season (and sophmore season for Super GT) will start this weekend. So we'll get to see these bad boys in action this weekend. Should be a great season, and these 4 cars mentioned here are four reasons why.
No the maseratis wont be competing in the first race. Seems the car is too slow to compete. The technology in SuperGT is very high if a FIA GT car cant keep up. The Shiden and GT will most likely (barring something unfortunate happens) be present at Suzuka in GT300 and the factory SC430s will be in GT500.

SagarisGTB
No the maseratis wont be competing in the first race. Seems the car is too slow to compete. The technology in SuperGT is very high if a FIA GT car cant keep up. The Shiden and GT will most likely (barring something unfortunate happens) be present at Suzuka in GT300 and the factory SC430s will be in GT500.

FIA GT spec cars have more limitations so I can understand why the Maserati is having trouble keeping up. I notice heavier aerodynamic modifications on the Super GT cars. Also, isn't the team not limited to the engine of a certain model that's racing, as long as they use another engine of the same make? (I know this was so a couple years ago when it was called the JGTC)

I really wish they would cover Super GT on Speed. I think I would like this series a lot. I do try to keep up on their website though.

Oh and for those who know more about Super GT rules: Since the Maserati is FIA-GT spec, is it allowed carbon brakes?

If Speed shown Super GT (no "let's only care about American motorsports" comments, please), think about it like this. Here in Central Standard time, it is 2:06 AM when I started this typing. In Japanese time, it is about 5:06 PM there. Meaning that a race would have already happened had it been a Saturday race. Early Sunday morning means that it will be Sunday afternoon in Japan. So with the Formula One GP coverage on Speed Channel, watching a Super GT event live (which probably isn't going to happen in America) means staying up a little longer in America just to check it out live. No disrespect to this type of racing, but after a night of "short" track racing on Saturday night, you can probably go home and see a little Super GT, had it been televised in America live.

Then too, tape-delays and same-day coverage doesn't hurt either. I heard that a broadband service called GyaO is going to have free streaming coverage of Super GT races this season. I don't know the site, so go to http://www.google.com and look up "gyao streaming" or something like that for more info. By the way, the Europeans are getting a nice TV package with Super GT. Look at http://supergt.net/en (or http://supergt.net if you want the Japanese version) for a European package set up. Regardless, I'd want to see how this season goes. I especially want to see how the Mooncraft Shiden does in its freshman season. Should be great fun to have a GTP-type automobile in the series.

I never realized how restricted FIA GT is if it can't go all that fast in Super GT. For the Maserati to be like that in this Japanese series, kind of weird. I'm not going to go with the "just trying to make other cars completely slow so Japanese makers can win all the races" comment, so don't think I'm going there.

FIA GT is restricted only in that the cars are homologated to a blanket ruleset that disallows many of the modifications to a street car that Super GT allows.

For instance, by FIA GT standards the Toyota Supra hasn't had a legitimate engine package since the mid-90's. Using the SW20 generation MR2 four cylinder at first, and then later switching to a turbo variant of the Lexus LS400 V8, were both Toyota JGTC/Super GT solutions to the problem of the Supra's big six - poor weight distribution for road racing.

While the JGTC/Super GT series welcomed the engine swap, along with a host of one-off suspension bits, much wider tires, custom one-off bodywork, and sequential gearbox installed in the Supra, the FIA GT would have none of it as it has nothing to do with a manufacturer produced Supra.

On top of that, by the time of the V8 swap, there was no production Toyota Supra, another thing the FIA GT frowns upon.

In the case of the Maseratis, they were hamstrung in the beginning of their entry into FIA GT. A narrower rear wing, diffuser regulations, and air inlet restrictors all combined to slow down cars that the FIA (and ACO) believed would steamroll the existing GT1 grid.

In FIA competition, the restricted Maseratis still proved formidable, but were right in line with GT1 spec Ferrari Maranello GTC's, Lamborghini Murcielago GTR's, Saleen S7R's, Corvette C5R's, and on down the line.

The cars were taken to Super GT because it was thought that the looser rules of Super GT would allow the Masers to run in unrestricted spec, thus giving them the edge they'd always wanted to show AND finally giving Maserati the success needed to justify the huge expenditure of the project.

Unfortunately, the Maserati MC12 was still woefully restricted in Super GT and was unable to find a competitive edge on the existing Super GT teams (non-factory Maser vs. factory supported Japanese teams) especially with a car intended to have 670+ hp, taken down to less than 500.

It's no small wonder that FIA teams, even with the supposed "rules parity" that Super GT is bragging about in their new sanctioning alliance, have little to no interest in Super GT. Unless Super GT applies FIA GT rules across the boards and thrusts the silhouette specials from Nissan, Toyota, and Honda into obsolescence, the series will continue to be a Japanese regional series in the same vein as Belcar and Trans-Am.

The difference between Super GT and Trans am or Belcar is that Super GT has major support from its domestic car makes. In a way, Super GT is becoming the F1 of GT racing without the prestige. Honda, Toyota and Nissan have huge budgets for Super GT and that should keep Super GT strong in japan as well as help it expand into big markets for those makes (China, Malaysia, and possibly even the middle east).

Well, the pictures from Round 1 were taken recently, and here are how today's beauties are on the track:

http://supergt.net/supergt/2006/06r01/0601phot_en.shtm

Look for vehicles like the Ford GT, Toyota Soarer (Lexus SC430 in America), and the interesting machine I'm hooked to- the Mooncraft Shiden. Check out the wicked 350R driven by the EBBRO BTEC MAZIORA team. And of course, check out the Super GT Race Queens if you're bored. ^_^

The Mooncraft finished 6th in class, 21st overall, one lap down. It seems like the Ford GT either didn't start or didn't classify. No information on the Ford GT from what I can tell. The highest-placed Soarer/SC430 was the #36 OPEN INTERFACE TOM'S SC430, which won the race. The Maserati MC12 didn't start or didn't qualify or one of the two.

On top of that, here are your winners in GT500 and GT300 at Round 2 in Okayama:

GT500 Winner: #18 Takata Dome NSX (R. Michigami/T. Kogure)
I heard this was a BIG win since they blew out the competition. Anytime you can win in dominating fashion, that is DEFINITELY feel good material.

GT300 Winner: #27 direxiv ADVAN 320R (Vemac) (S. Mitsuyama/N. Taniguchi)
That is a nice win for the car which debuted in 2003 (I believe), the Vemac 320R.

I just wanted to provide that little update. The websites:
http://supergt.net (Japanese)
http://supergt.net/en (English)

See you around!

Great Post John, rep flying towards you.

Question- Have Toyota Chasers ever competed in JGTC?

Toyota Chaser. Pretty lady, isn't she? I normally say that the Toyota Chaser is more like a Japanese BMW in its looks. It is a very nice car. It's Tom's tuner version is probably more popular.

I don't know about you, but I miss the Supra and Skyline in the series. I'm starting to dig the 350Z's a little more. The silouhette is still there with the 350Z's, but it looks a little too fat on the sides. Not like the older Supras, though. I'm still just really hooked on the Mooncrafts. These are basically GTPs racing in the GT300 class. They are awesome machines. I just wish I had more specs on the Mooncraft Shiden. Just an awesome car. Even standing still, you'd swear it was prepping for Le Mans or something. I wouldn't be surprised if Mooncraft gets the Le Mans invite to compete at Le Mans this year or somewhere down the road. The diversity is rapidly expanding in this series with the cars. Where else can you see Moslers take on Ferraris, Toyotas take on Lamborghinis, and Ford GTs making their campaign? It's an awesome series. Even though World Rally coverage is dead in America, Super GT would be wonderful to show in America. In fact, I miss seeing coverage of races when there used to be that "On the Limit" show looking at Super GT. I still have my tape of the Autopolis and Suzuka rounds in the 2003 season.

Anyhow, I think the next race is next month. But at least now you know how the cars look from concept pictures to real racing. Thanks for the reputation, ultrabeat. I can dig that.

Yeah, I'd love to see the Supra and Skyline back. They were the best.
And it would be great to show it in America.

Back