480PP FR Non-Race Car Super Lap: Death Valley

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 164 comments
trololol... i'd rather keep my wheel and learn to drive with it. i've been driving with a joystick for a while, i think it's better for tighter tracks.

If they ever make a sim that I could play staring through the windshield of my long lost Datsun 280z, with vibration and g-forces, and accurate visuals out of every window... I would die hungry, thirsty and happy.

But yea, wheel users and ds3 users are pretty much on equal footing as far as GT games go.

Sorry, I miss my Z sometimes...

Sorry, I miss my Z sometimes...

I'm with ya! I have a 94 Civic hatch race car. Hasn't moved in about 8 years. I went and sat it in yesterday. I'm gonna get it rolling again, as my main mode of transportation.

image.jpeg

Sweet! I need another project car in my life lol. I have a 5.3 Chevrolet engine sitting and waiting for the right mid-life crisis on wheels to come along...

I do want a wheel just for the immersion factor. But I doubt I would be much faster vs controller.

Since the car sat for years, friends said, put a TV on the hood and make it your GT6 area. Sure, if I could get it up two stories and in my living room.

The wheel is waaaaay better (feeling) than a DS3. I did a controller for about 15 years then a friend gave me a DFGT for the recent GT Academy. Didn't work out. But it sure is more fun.

Wheel or controller makes no difference. Get over it. It's how good you are at setting up a car to suit you and how good you execute the run.

I need to improve on setups. And also execution. But it sucks to hit a plateau. I wonder how to improve, any advice?

I need to improve on setups. And also execution. But it sucks to hit a plateau. I wonder how to improve, any advice?
Experiment with set ups (balance of oversteer vs understeer for your style), friend fast people (which can be depressing), check out the FITT comps in the tuning forum, and most importantly, drive your ass off constantly.

Just make laps... Do not follow the driving line to the letter if you use it. Watch some of the top 10 replay laps. Learn where to push, and where to take it easy.

Take corners too fast, learn the true limit speed, instead of relying on a line turning red. Do exploratory laps like that then go out there and nail that gold. Then see how fast you can go...

Thanks a lot man! That was really an awesome piece of advice. I had not tried it since my last post, and when I got home tonight I watched the #1 replay for about 15 minutes in every camera, and in an hour of driving I nailed a 1m29.969s in the Concept 1 series tii!

PS: I don't normally use the driving line, because I think it actually slows me down.

I found the Series 1 easier to drive fast by adding ballast in back to get a 49/51 balance. More rear weight adds traction on power and entry steering off power. Gearing is important as well, to minimize wheel spin. I geared up(lower numbers) in 1st thru 3rd and set 4th and 5th based on certain corners and their speeds, with 6th gear for straight line speed just a few hundred rpm off the rev limiter.
Also up shift early to reduce wheel spin, but not so early that is bogs the engine. This takes the most amount of practice.

Try some setups that others have come up with. I sometimes do my own, sometimes use others. What ever is faster when testing lap times.
The last thing is, learning the turns where your brain wants you to lift, but the track doesn't need you to. This makes a huge difference.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for your help.
I usually don't like to use ballast, because I think most of the times it upsets the balance of the car instead of improving it. About the gearing, I usually match it to the top speed I can get in the race track, which in this case was really short (6th gear on the main straight and 4th gear through the "S's"). Despite that, i found your advices very useful, so thanks a lot for that.

Thanks for your help.
I usually don't like to use ballast, because I think most of the times it upsets the balance of the car instead of improving it. About the gearing, I usually match it to the top speed I can get in the race track, which in this case was really short (6th gear on the main straight and 4th gear through the "S's"). Despite that, i found your advices very useful, so thanks a lot for that.

Certainly some cars don't respond well to ballast, something in the software based on level of chassis rigidity, roll centers, roll axis, caster and others tuning items we can't adjust. But...some cars love it. In fact not only does it equal faster laps on most cars, the PP level increases when you make positive changes. Supra RZ and GSX-R4 comes to mind. But there are others.
I built many FF cars that went 3 seconds a lap faster with ballast, as long as it didn't hurt the power to weight ratio too much.
Give it a try! :)

Wheel or controller makes no difference. Get over it.

I dont know, Never try a wheel. So I don't get over it I think:lol:

If you're 8 years drivng with a wheel.... then the wheel guy is better as the guy who plays with a controller just one year?
I don't know but before I dont drive with a wheel I cant say: Controller is the same as a wheel.

Maybe I'm sucks with a wheel and drive alot better with a controller, sure some drivers have that .

Driving skills and the setup are very important as you say, That's for sure.

Last edited:
@Kossie DFGT wheels are cheap. I've been on a wheel for less than a year and used DS3 for a very long time. I still can't break some of my records I set with DS3 but for sure I'm enjoying the wheel more.

On short tracks I think the controller is better( willow Nascar,eiger,2j willow time ago) But I think with the Apricot tt and the dead valley a wheel is pretty fun and mayby better. I buy one with the next GT:cheers:

I improved to a 1:25.5xx. Made a lot of little bobbles and drove in too deep in a couple turns. A 1:24 is possible if I was willing to spend more time on it. But I'm not, lol.

I tried other cars out of boredom, but nothing comes close to the Series 1, which has apparently been given magical weight distribution characteristics. Even cars with MUCH better power to weight ratios and the same distribution are at least a second or two slower after tuning.
Hmmmmm

1:25.224 for #208.

I meant to say in my earlier post that the blue lines of friends cars really hampered me in this race, totally blocking some corners where it was important to get the line right.
That was an issue in this race as I didn't remember the track at all.

Last edited:
1:25.224 for #208.

I meant to say in my earlier post that the blue lines of friends cars really hampered me in this race, totally blocking some corners where it was important to get the line right.
That was an issue in this race as I didn't remember the track at all.
Is there any way to turn those off? They annoy me...

Nothing does get close (for me) to the Series I. It does have magical power @wedjim :lol:

Down to a 1:25,157 (DS3, no aids except ABS 1). I like the track but the invisible boundaries are driving me crazy.
Nice time! I can make the same time I think but this track.....I dont like it :)edit: or david put a free beer on a 24 lap :P

Last edited:
Back