4WD Drift Cars

• Thread starter tjmaserati
  • 54 comments
miko1337
Oh yeah? TGTT, Add me I'll show you the ropes and a good tune to start you out on. So much fun just to mess around.

Okay, but it will take me longer to get it because I'm using a wheel.

To the OP: In my personal experience, I find that most beginners tend to use 4WD's. I'm perfectly okay with that, they're a lot less easier to spin out, which makes for a good car to start with, like learning how a car reacts when you initiate a so called 'drift'.

Now, the fact they're still learning, learners constantly make mistakes which means I get rammed off track in EVERY online drift lobby I enter and they're always in either a 4WD car or a Race Car. That's pretty much how they get a bad name in my eyes, and that's how they get ''ohhh, you 4WD and Race Car drifters are n00bs'' Haha

Today, I came across two guy's drifting R34 GTR's. They're were quite good, very fast of course, but nothing amazing to be honest, though I wouldn't call them noobs.
I'd like to see a 'Pure 4WD drifter' just to see if they could throw it around any better than an FR / RWD drifter... :)

I personally like drifting 4WD now and again but It just doesn't compare to a 350BHP S-Chassis... (FR incase you're clueless) ...car's on Comfort Hard Tyres. The amount of fun you can have with three or more drivers is insane! After all, Drifting IS all about FUN. <3

To the OP: In my personal experience, I find that most beginners tend to use 4WD's. I'm perfectly okay with that, they're a lot less easier to spin out, which makes for a good car to start with, like learning how a car reacts when you initiate a so called 'drift'.

Now, the fact they're still learning, learners constantly make mistakes which means I get rammed off track in EVERY online drift lobby I enter and they're always in either a 4WD car or a Race Car. That's pretty much how they get a bad name in my eyes, and that's how they get ''ohhh, you 4WD and Race Car drifters are n00bs'' Haha

Today, I came across two guy's drifting R34 GTR's. They're were quite good, very fast of course, but nothing amazing to be honest, though I wouldn't call them noobs.
I'd like to see a 'Pure 4WD drifter' just to see if they could throw it around any better than an FR / RWD drifter... :)

I personally like drifting 4WD now and again but It just doesn't compare to a 350BHP S-Chassis... (FR incase you're clueless) ...car's on Comfort Hard Tyres. The amount of fun you can have with three or more drivers is insane! After all, Drifting IS all about FUN. <3

I use an Evo IX MR Edition every mow and then and it handles perfect (more like an FR instead of a 4WD) and i never get called a n00b in any lobby, i am infact bombarded with questions from people asking either for my cars drift tune or the actual car itself for 3 or 4 of theirs just for my Evo (maybe because its chrome gold :P )

Personaly a prefer FR cars (Japanese cars of course since theyre my favourite) because they drift so much better, yes ok i cant throw them into a corner as fast as a 4WD but that doesnt matter to me, i dont care for speed i care more for style - backwards entry, better counter steering, 360 entrys and tandems - all of these are best in an FR car for me but thats my personal preference. But i do admit 4WD drifting can be a lot of fun too. Just because you drift 4WD DOESN'T mean youre a 'noob' its just a personal preference at the end of the day. If you dont like it then either STFU or GTFO :D

xR3
I use an Evo IX MR Edition every mow and then and it handles perfect (more like an FR instead of a 4WD) and i never get called a n00b in any lobby, i am infact bombarded with questions from people asking either for my cars drift tune or the actual car itself for 3 or 4 of theirs just for my Evo (maybe because its chrome gold :P )

Personally a prefer FR cars (Japanese cars of course since theyre my favourite) because they drift so much better, yes ok i cant throw them into a corner as fast as a 4WD but that doesnt matter to me, i dont care for speed i care more for style - backwards entry, better counter steering, 360 entrys and tandems - all of these are best in an FR car for me but thats my personal preference. But i do admit 4WD drifting can be a lot of fun too. Just because you drift 4WD DOESN'T mean youre a 'noob' its just a personal preference at the end of the day. If you dont like it then either STFU or GTFO :D

Past personal experience tells me, a 4WD is never ever going to handle like an FR. 4WD's are far to fast, they need to be so much slower, at least avoid running a wing! If it wasn't for the transfer case in an Evo, it'd be an FF. :lol:
Joking aside, it's proved impossible in the past to tandem with a 4WD while I'm in a RWD. I'd like to prove to myself that it can be done, I know it can, I've just never actually done it myself...

Another thing is that 4WD drifters want to tackle the track as fast as they can! They think it's a race, or speed is the dominant style factor. It's not! They just haven't discovered angle, or figured out how to tandem. Maybe they don't even know what that is!? Sounds like too much Tokyo Drift to me...

And Haha, a gold evo. I see that stuff all the time! >.<

I used the ARCADE MODE Mine's Skyline R34.
I can't beat the score that I got with it on a map with a RWD car :P
Closeset I've come is with the fully tuned Initial-D AE86 SS '00, but I still do better scores with the 4WD Mine's..
With a RWD you need balance and technique. With 4WD and enough power you just need throttle, a sharp turn and to keep the wheel in a fixed position.

Little do they know the EVO in Tokyo Drift was converted to RWD.

SHHH, don't tell them that! xD

I don't mean to Rant, but that's what I'd found myself about 4WD guys.
Sorry guys! :) 👍

I used the ARCADE MODE Mine's Skyline R34.
I can't beat the score that I got with it on a map with a RWD car :P
Closeset I've come is with the fully tuned Initial-D AE86 SS '00, but I still do better scores with the 4WD Mine's..
With a RWD you need balance and technique. With 4WD and enough power you just need throttle, a sharp turn and to keep the wheel in a fixed position.

I don't understand. How don't you find Arcade Mode boring? :P Or Drift Trials? And the only reason your getting higher scores in the 4WD is because it's faster than the 86! :)
The drift trial score judging system is weird. It doesn't count a drift with more than 90 degree's of angle. It gives you ZERO. :(

UrieHusky
It does surprise me how few people know about that :lol:
Hahahaha Yeeeppp
Blitz.
SHHH, don't tell them that! xD

I don't mean to Rant, but that's what I'd found myself about 4WD guys.
Sorry guys! :) 👍

I don't understand. How don't you find Arcade Mode boring? :P Or Drift Trials? And the only reason your getting higher scores in the 4WD is because it's faster than the 86! :)

Hahahaha.

And yeah I agree. He should get online more experience things with the community.

And yeah I can get 20,000 points with a car then switch to a 4wd pull the same angle and because those front wheels are pulling making the car faster will infact give you more points.

The drift Trials and sector drift modes in GT5 are truly garbage and do not regulate point correctly.

You get more points for more less angle and more speed and wheel spin. A great example of this is the pointless speed 12 escapades we see on the seasonal drift trials every week.

Reason i say they are garbage is also easily proven. Try going what about 80-90 degrees around a corner and see how many points you get. The answer is none. Sorry i said the same thing as you Blitz just confirming it hahaha

Hahaa, it's cool man but it's so true! Glad you agree. ^^

@''Verax'' The drifting community needs to expand! Get off Arcade mode bro your missing out! :lol:

Blitz.
Hahaa, it's cool man but it's so true! Glad you agree. ^^

@''Verax'' The drifting community needs to expand! Get off Arcade mode bro your missing out! :lol:

Yes it is yes it is.

And yeah the drifting community is a great place to meet some talented people. Verax you might learn a few things maybe learn some things from you too. Never know.

Past personal experience tells me, a 4WD is never ever going to handle like an FR. 4WD's are far to fast, they need to be so much slower, at least avoid running a wing! If it wasn't for the transfer case in an Evo, it'd be an FF. :lol:
Joking aside, it's proved impossible in the past to tandem with a 4WD while I'm in a RWD. I'd like to prove to myself that it can be done, I know it can, I've just never actually done it myself...

Another thing is that 4WD drifters want to tackle the track as fast as they can! They think it's a race, or speed is the dominant style factor. It's not! They just haven't discovered angle, or figured out how to tandem. Maybe they don't even know what that is!? Sounds like too much Tokyo Drift to me...

And Haha, a gold evo. I see that stuff all the time! >.<

Thats weird because i can tandem beside any car in my Evo (only as a chaser though otherwise the other person cant keep up because as you say 4WD is so much faster) it just takes a lot of practice. I do prefer FR cars to anything as they are more fun like i said. Ive been drifting for quite a while and i have learned to control all my cars for drifting. Of you want to tandem with a 4WD car for the first time then maybe you should add me :P then you can say you have finally managed to tandem with a 4WD car with someone who knows what theyre doing :lol:
I agree with you though, the majority of people use 4WD because of the speed and they drift at such a little angle but not me personaly, i try to get the car into an angle and drift the same way as i do with an FR car (which i manage very easily)

xR3
Thats weird because i can tandem beside any car in my Evo (only as a chaser though otherwise the other person cant keep up because as you say 4WD is so much faster) it just takes a lot of practice. I do prefer FR cars to anything as they are more fun like i said. Ive been drifting for quite a while and i have learned to control all my cars for drifting. Of you want to tandem with a 4WD car for the first time then maybe you should add me :P then you can say you have finally managed to tandem with a 4WD car with someone who knows what theyre doing :lol:
I agree with you though, the majority of people use 4WD because of the speed and they drift at such a little angle but not me personaly, i try to get the car into an angle and drift the same way as i do with an FR car (which i manage very easily)

It's not that I've never tried it. It's the fact it's never worked properly! Haha :P
And it's not really fair in a battle. It's only fair if the 4WD was around 400bhp and the RWD was a frigging Viper. Lmao sounds boring to me xD
Ahh well, feel free to add me bud. :)

xR3

Some people can't handle that but some.can like I said with my last post only experienced 4wd fritters can tandem with FR cars because 4wd understeers a lot and its Damn fast then there's the other factor angle and speed.

It's not that I've never tried it. It's the fact it's never worked properly! Haha :P
And it's not really fair in a battle. It's only fair if the 4WD was around 400bhp and the RWD was a frigging Viper. Lmao sounds boring to me xD
Ahh well, feel free to add me bud. :)

Some people can't handle that but some.can like I said with my last post only experienced 4wd fritters can tandem with FR cars because 4wd understeers a lot and its Damn fast then there's the other factor angle and speed.

I can tandem perfectly with any other car in my Evo, maybe its because i have had plenty of practice and know how to keep my car at a steady pace, i use the cars revs and sometimes i will drift at a deeper angle but try to stay as close as i can to the tandem leader. I often get praised from other drifters for how well i manage this which often them leads to them wanting my car or tune :lol:
I will add you Blitz and we can tandem some time :)

For clarification on drift speed, I did some comparisons with an R34.

Tuning for 10/90 and a proper drift setup (controllable, able to brake/lift off drift without throttle or e brake) on a 600 HP R34 with max weight reduction, I was able to put laps on Tsukuba about 10 seconds faster than my 240Z with around a third of the power. Granted, it was a loose, fast, and dirty setup without any refinement (basically I just plugged numbers into my sheet as if the skyline was RWD, and then adopted them to the 4WD with some tweaking on the front grip settings) so it could probably be sped up a little.

I took both the R34 and S30 to Tsukuba. Take into account that I gunned it on the straights, and I would assume that the 240Z is only 6-7 seconds behind the R34. Now, the 240ZG is not a slow drift car, (faster than most silvias) but it is not fast either, especially in straights.

Given that I can get 5-6 seconds off of the 240ZG in a premium Z33, I am willing that even with some practice, the Z33 and the R34, both drifting a perfect line with decent angle through the majority of the course, won't vary by more than 2 seconds apart.

Take it for what its worth, but I think the greater skilled a driver gets, and the smoother and better "drifting" (as in, clear tire smoke from the rear and angle with little/no front wheel spin) the less the speed difference matters.

This means that 4WD drift cars in comparable drivers should be able to compete without overwhelming RWD drift cars, provided they are limited to a heavy rear bias drive, and are competing on the upper end of performance cars. I imagine a viper or Camaro SS RM could still overwhelm an R34 even with an incompetent driver at the wheel.

For clarification on drift speed, I did some comparisons with an R34.

Tuning for 10/90 and a proper drift setup (controllable, able to brake/lift off drift without throttle or e brake) on a 600 HP R34 with max weight reduction, I was able to put laps on Tsukuba about 10 seconds faster than my 240Z with around a third of the power. Granted, it was a loose, fast, and dirty setup without any refinement (basically I just plugged numbers into my sheet as if the skyline was RWD, and then adopted them to the 4WD with some tweaking on the front grip settings) so it could probably be sped up a little.

I took both the R34 and S30 to Tsukuba. Take into account that I gunned it on the straights, and I would assume that the 240Z is only 6-7 seconds behind the R34. Now, the 240ZG is not a slow drift car, (faster than most silvias) but it is not fast either, especially in straights.

Given that I can get 5-6 seconds off of the 240ZG in a premium Z33, I am willing that even with some practice, the Z33 and the R34, both drifting a perfect line with decent angle through the majority of the course, won't vary by more than 2 seconds apart.

Take it for what its worth, but I think the greater skilled a driver gets, and the smoother and better "drifting" (as in, clear tire smoke from the rear and angle with little/no front wheel spin) the less the speed difference matters.

This means that 4WD drift cars in comparable drivers should be able to compete without overwhelming RWD drift cars, provided they are limited to a heavy rear bias drive, and are competing on the upper end of performance cars. I imagine a viper or Camaro SS RM could still overwhelm an R34 even with an incompetent driver at the wheel.

This pretty much proves my point that 4WD drifters can be equaly the same as any FR drifter and together they can tandem if theyve had enough practice to learn how to control there car properly

Not all AWD's understeer. Also, with AWD, the trick isn't necessarily avoiding the understeer but breaking the traction on right moment. Also, weight management is much more important in AWD as the power is distributed to all 4 wheels instead of just needing to overwhelm 2 tyres.

Not all AWD's understeer. Also, with AWD, the trick isn't necessarily avoiding the understeer but breaking the traction on right moment. Also, weight management is much more important in AWD as the power is distributed to all 4 wheels instead of just needing to overwhelm 2 tyres.

Completely agreed.

If a 4WD car is tuned right, it might understeer at full throttle, when the front tires are trying to maintain an angle, but nowhere else. If you are slamming the gas in the middle of a drift anyway, you're not doing it right.

With good Front LSD settings you can actually get the front wheels to steer with pretty much no power, while still floating the rear with some power, especially in cars like the GT-Rs.

Blitz.
The drift trial score judging system is weird. It doesn't count a drift with more than 90 degree's of angle. It gives you ZERO. :(

Acm is fun ^^
Really, better score because of speed? Didn't know that!
Yes it's bad. Somtimes I do a 'masato' and no score..

Weirdly when I drift a LanEvo my dad and sis actually tuned it oversteers more than it understeers.. Usually just slowing down for the corner gets it sliding, bit of acceleration, I don't need to floor it but if I don't countersteer enough it actually spins out. Its a LanEvo IX (9). It's certainly not that much faster than most cars though. It's actually pretty fun to drive since it feels a lot like an FR but I kind of like the feel of 4wd. But ordinarily the front wheels are suppose to pull right? 10 90 or whatever?

I drift for fun mostly(simply the fact that my two favorites are a Minivan and an Element) and I have found that 4wd's are just as unpredictable as any other car. In the current setup my Honda Odyssey is more likely to spin to the inside rather than the outside whereas most of my Rwd cars are more understeery than anyother type of drift car that i have had the pleasure of driving.

Latest Posts

Back