650PP NASCAR Challenge

• Thread starter Argon
  • 188 comments
If you've ever watched a NASCAR race on television, you would probably hear one of the broadcasters (and former NASCAR champion) Darryl Waltrip point out that 8 tires are better than 4.

This is exactly what he's talking about, this is how they race. Decidedly NOT 'clean'.

Just recently caught the NASCAR bug after following F1 for 15+ years. I now know which is real racing and which one is dog and pony show. Lurrrrrvvvvvvvv NASCAR!

Did you just condone or condemn my suggestion to 420pro? Not sure about tone being used in your post.

Just recently caught the NASCAR bug after following F1 for 15+ years. I now know which is real racing and which one is dog and pony show. Lurrrrrvvvvvvvv NASCAR!

Did you just condone or condemn my suggestion to 420pro? Not sure about tone being used in your post.

It's perfectly acceptable to 'lean', 'rub', 'bump' in NASCAR in real life, so long as you expect to be leaned on, rubbed or bumped back.

I think the self-identified 'purists' who insist that one should never touch another vehicle are kind of off their rocker.

If you've ever watched a NASCAR race on television, you would probably hear one of the broadcasters (and former NASCAR champion) Darryl Waltrip point out that 8 tires are better than 4.

This is exactly what he's talking about, this is how they race. Decidedly NOT 'clean'.

That's not true. You're making it out to be that NASCAR drivers typically race haphazardly. Any kind of "constant" close racing will have contact. Open wheel cars with mega tons of downforce are far too delicate to even consider a pack of 20 cars racing together for an entire race. Besides, if an F1 car gets within 2 feet of another car, their aerodynamic dependency becomes their downfall.

And then there is the "team orders" BS that plagues F1.

I normally despise Harvick, but loved what he did to Vickers for his behavior at the end of Sunday's race at Martinsville.

That's not true. You're making it out to be that NASCAR drivers typically race haphazardly. Any kind of "constant" close racing will have contact. Open wheel cars with mega tons of downforce are far too delicate to even consider a pack of 20 cars racing together for an entire race. Besides, if an F1 car gets within 2 feet of another car, their aerodynamic dependency becomes their downfall.

And then there is the "team orders" BS that plagues F1.

I normally despise Harvick, but loved what he did to Vickers for his behavior at the end of Sunday's race at Martinsville.

I spoke specifically about NASCAR and quoted what a NASCAR champion has stated on more than one occasion.

I have watched NASCAR Cup racing for YEARS.

And you respond by telling me about open wheel racing.

Nowhere did I make it out that NASCAR drivers race "haphazardly". YOU are the person who equates contact, with "haphazard".

There is contact in NASCAR, it's intentional and therefore not "haphazard".

You are trying to imply that ALL contact in Cup racing is incidental, and THAT is decidedly NOT true.

I spoke specifically about NASCAR and quoted what a NASCAR champion has stated on more than one occasion.

I have watched NASCAR Cup racing for YEARS.

And you respond by telling me about open wheel racing.

Nowhere did I make it out that NASCAR drivers race "haphazardly". YOU are the person who equates contact, with "haphazard".

There is contact in NASCAR, it's intentional and therefore not "haphazard".

I'm reading your comments as there is constant contact because everyone knows turning left takes no skill, unlike drivers that pilot cars that are on rails. "Everyone" being the majority of people on GTP. No, you did not mention open wheel. But I did.

Sorry for jumping on you, I tend to be on gusrd constantly.

I'm reading your comments as there is constant contact because everyone knows turning left takes no skill, unlike drivers that pilot cars that are on rails. "Everyone" being the majority of people on GTP. No, you did not mention open wheel. But I did.

Sorry for jumping on you, I tend to be on gusrd constantly.

Oh, I get it.
Yeah, people do think that 'turning left takes no skill', it's so easy that anyone can do it.

Those people aren't even worth responding to. ALL racing separates the best from the rest. PLENTY of people have tried to make the jump from open wheel into NASCAR and have struggled mightily with limited success (with some pretty impressive exceptions of course).

Apology accepted.

:cheers:

Ok, so i've consistently had lap times of 51 seconds every lap, tried every nascar available, made 20,000,000 twice over and so far have only managed 2nd place and been about 4 seconds behind 1st place nearly every time. Looking at some of the cars other people have won on this event i'm wondering if it's worth giving any more time on this?? I think not, some things are not meant to be.

Try resetting your lineup , I won with high 51s .I passed the #88 Chev just before the last corner . 1 bad lap & you need to restart .
Ozi

well tonight i couldn't connect to the network for some reason so spent 15 minutes doing a free run of London and it's the best thing I've done for this one. with no distractions i learnt how to take the last few corners and polished up on a couple of others. Still not won it but did 3 races and all now under a second behind first place.

roll on tomorrow night!! i hope :-)

Roll on tomorrow indeed :)

Thought about giving the new seasonal a go but decided to keep going for London and won on my first try tonight
Hard work for me but I really enjoyed it 👍

If anybody wants to try my mix and match setup add me and ill stick the car online

I know that I am not on the right place, but the car is. Any way I've finally finished with London, and saw that I didn't complete in A SPEC NASCAR event. Encouraged by my success in seasonal I went there and eventually won it, but I have finished just 9th in DAYTONA.
Can someone give me set up and some instructions how to gold it?

Thank you

I know that I am not on the right place, but the car is. Any way I've finally finished with London, and saw that I didn't complete in A SPEC NASCAR event. Encouraged by my success in seasonal I went there and eventually won it, but I have finished just 9th in DAYTONA.

Thank you

Use Prainos tune to the AJ Allmendinger NASCAR '11, Racing soft tyres, all aids off (incl. ABS) & then draft, draft & draft some more. 👍

P.S. Set power to max (oil change as well) & play around with your final gear so you don't hit the limiter when not drafting, but only just hit it when you do.

Last edited:
Use Prainos tune to the AJ Allmendinger NASCAR '11, Racing soft tyres, all aids off (incl. ABS) & then draft, draft & draft some more. 👍

P.S. Set power to max (oil change as well) & play around with your final gear so you don't hit the limiter when not drafting, but only just hit it when you do.

ABS cannot be turned off anymore after a specific update. This is the biggest reason that winning Daytona is very tough if not nearly impossible.

Nothing much to elaborate about. The only aid that can't be turned off is SRF.

I have the game running right now at update 2.12 and the option to turn off ABS prior to start of Daytona race is grayed out. It is grayed out even through the RM menu. That is why I am curious how it can be turned off in your opinion. Thank you.

^ Well, that's odd. If you're looking at it now you're obviously right. I ran those Events a while back and turned off ABS. Weird.

Is it like that in the other Races?

I just turned off the game but can check and post later. I do remember that I was able to change driving options for the other 4 races but not just for the Daytona run. I guess PD enforced ABS for this final race and the special event 2 lap Daytona run on the same patch update.

After 1.06 update it was impossible to turn off ABS in Jeff Gordon NASCAR School Special event.
The minimum value that can be set is ABS 1

The London City is giving me a hard time. The best I could do is 2nd place. I tried alota different tunes too but to no avl. I'm so frustrated... lol.

I used a modified CargoRat Spa Tune to win the two short tracks. It is as follows:

AERO 50/70
LSD 20/7/7
RH -12/+10
SR 11.5/10.5
EXT 3/4
COMP 2/2
AR 1/7
BRAKES 4/8

I kept the camber at stock settings and set the transmision to 168mph.

The longer tracks I just used all stock settings and won with ease. My efforts garnered me a Chapperal 2D Race Car 67'. I hope these settings make the short tracks easier.

Thanks for the tune, good thing about beating London first is that they get progressively easier from there :) once you get used to lighting up the rear end out of most corners it's a lot of fun

Thank you

Here ya go !

Race 5: Superspeedway - Daytona

Downforce: 40/60

Transmission: 380 km/h (236 MPH)

LSD: 60/60/15

Ride Height: 0/-15
Spring Rate: 18.5/19
Dampers (Extension): 9/10
Dampers (Compression): 4/4
Anti-Roll: 6/7
Camber: 3.5/2.5
Toe: -0.15/0.00

Brakes: 2/1

Thanks Shoe67, one of the first things i try when i find myself struggling is to look for different setups and tunes, unfortunately none of these seem to work for me.

I should mention that it's only London that i'm stuck on, i have gold on all the other races.

Having trouble with London as well ! Best I can do is 3rd ! LOL

Here ya go !

Race 5: Superspeedway - Daytona

Downforce: 40/60

Transmission: 380 km/h (236 MPH)

LSD: 60/60/15

Ride Height: 0/-15
Spring Rate: 18.5/19
Dampers (Extension): 9/10
Dampers (Compression): 4/4
Anti-Roll: 6/7
Camber: 3.5/2.5