7 times Max Verstappen has been overly aggressive.Formula 1 

• Thread starter Oswald07
  • 49 comments
Looks like Vettel Kimi are popular opponents so I get the lack of emotion from Vettel this time round.

Is this any different from someone like Maldonado Grosjean though?

In defence of the guy, he has displayed almost Senna type skills in the rain.

Looks like Vettel Kimi are popular opponents so I get the lack of emotion from Vettel this time round.

Is this any different from someone like Maldonado Grosjean though?

In defence of the guy, he has displayed almost Senna type skills in the rain.
No denying he has great skill just poor judgment, and no respect. And Maldonado and Grosjean don't take out the race leaders.

Last edited:
He has a slight arrogance about him and I think it comes from having an F1 daddy. His privileged upbringing and opportunities would have all been geared to greatness in this, he would have been told constantly that he is destined for great things. Basically Stage Mom (or in this case Dad) syndrome. Coupled with the endless gushing and fanfare he received when he entered the sport it has fostered a sense of entitlement. He maybe talented but the last thing anyone should have done is tell him it over and over again, its made him a bit of a brat for sure.

I think one thing is that the Dutch seem to idolise this guy so much so its like he cant do no wrong.

Guys like Vettel arent that held up as the German nation's hero when they already had Schumacher.

Australians love RIC and WEB before him but they were always pretty grounded.

I think one thing is that the Dutch seem to idolise this guy so much so its like he cant do no wrong.

Guys like Vettel arent that held up as the German nation's hero when they already had Schumacher.

Australians love RIC and WEB before him but they were always pretty grounded.
And everybody is looking for a reason to hate Hamilton.

Of the seven two are clearly Vettel's doing... at Spa he swung across two cars to take the narrow line and the same at Singapore.

Of the seven two are clearly Vettel's doing... at Spa he swung across two cars to take the narrow line and the same at Singapore.
No they're not. Its clear to anyone but the do no wrong team. If this was a Hamilton highlight real you'd be calling for his dismissal from F1. Vettel is a seasoned veteran. Show some respect, or pay the consequences. Dutch support will only get him so far. People are getting tired of it. Time to grow up or get out.

I like Max a lot and I'm a fan. I am fan of his aggressiveness but I think he has taken it so far this year. Lots of incidents in 3 races. Kyvat was demoted for less than that.
However, I think he's one of the most talented drivers now on the grid, maybe even more than FA, LH or SV in my opinion (of course it's debatable).
Yes, he would have been told constantly that he is destined for great things, but it's also true.
As many have said, he just needs to tame himself a bit and try to get a better judgement and get a bit more cautious. But I don't see any issue with him being the most aggressive on the grid. Someone should play that role anyways, and currently it's him (or Ricciardo sometimes).

Personally I was always a Kimi fan but I'm starting to get fed-up of him and his passive "I don't care mentality" coz it's costing him a lot...

And everybody is looking for a reason to hate Hamilton.
I can give you many if you would like some, or go watch this:

just saying ;)

Upon request also some footage from another champ Lewis. Also some too close 1:1 battles with other racers.

PS You could choose any professional racer and you get more or less the same battle incidents.
May be that's part of racing?

Last edited:
I like Max a lot and I'm a fan. I am fan of his aggressiveness but I think he has taken it so far this year. Lots of incidents in 3 races. Kyvat was demoted for less than that.
However, I think he's one of the most talented drivers now on the grid, maybe even more than FA, LH or SV in my opinion (of course it's debatable).
Yes, he would have been told constantly that he is destined for great things, but it's also true.
As many have said, he just needs to tame himself a bit and try to get a better judgement and get a bit more cautious. But I don't see any issue with him being the most aggressive on the grid. Someone should play that role anyways, and currently it's him (or Ricciardo sometimes).

Personally I was always a Kimi fan but I'm starting to get fed-up of him and his passive "I don't care mentality" coz it's costing him a lot...

I can give you many if you would like some, or go watch this:

Micro aggression video

If this was a Hamilton highlight real you'd be calling for his dismissal from F1. Vettel is a seasoned veteran. Show some respect, or pay the consequences.

Vettel turned across two cars on the inside in two of those incidents. Fact. And it's 'reel'.

just saying ;)

Upon request also some footage from another champ Lewis. Also some too close 1:1 battles with other racers.

PS You could choose any professional racer and you get more or less the same battle incidents.

Practice practice rain qualifying rain rain puncture hit by some else a big difference than the dive bombing and taking out the top 3 racers out. This says more about the person that bothered to make this video.

He has a slight arrogance about him and I think it comes from having an F1 daddy. His privileged upbringing and opportunities would have all been geared to greatness in this, he would have been told constantly that he is destined for great things. Basically Stage Mom (or in this case Dad) syndrome. Coupled with the endless gushing and fanfare he received when he entered the sport it has fostered a sense of entitlement. He maybe talented but the last thing anyone should have done is tell him it over and over again, its made him a bit of a brat for sure.

Now I love Jos Verstappen, he was one of my boys back in the day, but saying that Max is a spoilt brat because his dad was a Formula One driver is like being a young footballer and arrogant as 🤬 because your dad is Emile Heskey or Joey Barton. Not exactly Schumacher or Messi, is it?

It can't be just because of that; Nico Rosberg seemed to be pleasant enough throughout his entire 10 years in F1, as was Damon Hill. I wonder how Mick Schumacher might grow up though, because his dad is one of the all-time greats.

I still love Verstappen and his aggressive style. Senna and Villeneuve would be hounded out of today's racing with their antics and I'm not even beginning to compare those two to him but I do feel that he still has a lot to learn. Is this his 5th season? Yes. But he is still only 20 years old. How arrogant and know-it-all were a lot of us at that age?

Yes, he needs to mature and fortunately, he has the time to do so. Who knows, this might give Helmet Helmut Marko and the RBYD Programme a caution about promoting drivers too young.

just saying ;)

Funny enough Verstappen's crash compilation might be just as long as one for Lewis and Vettel, despite being in the sport for far less time. Also, neither Hamilton nor Vettel have blatantly ignored rules about moving once and moving in braking zones, nor have they spent all of their post-race interviews blaming everyone but himself.

Verstappen is fast, and he can pass. But his attitude is that of an ass, and at this rate his career won't last.

Vettel deflects blame on to others just as much. The Spa and Singapore incidents above were his fault, but there are others.

Remember 2012 Brazil? Having read Adrian Newey's book, he said that Senna made a ridiculous move up the inside of Vettel and took him out. However, Vettel turns from the middle of the track straight to the apex, completely cutting Senna off. If you're fighting for a title, you don't make a stupid move like that.

The other one I can think of is China 2016. Vettel leaves acres of space on the inside and Kvyat takes it, because it's turn 1. Vettel get a scared and takes out Kimi. Kvyat did nothing wrong at all, but Vettel managed to deflect blame.

Seb has the ability to get great results away from incidents which is enough to keep him employed, but his race starts have always been sketchy.

I like Hamilton. There was a period where he did stuff similar to Max. I remember some bonehead overtaking moves at Monaco of all places but I beleive Hamilton gets more hate than he deserves.

In 2018, ironically Hamilton and Vettel are the 'old men' of the grid.

Further I also believe that Max has literally decades of racing left. I flat out dont like him but let's not kid ourselves... he's head and shoulders above the avg. driver who can only dream of driving for a mid range team.

I think most of us are adults and the way it is, we will grow old with Max. He has time to mature. We all said the same thing about immature Vettel and whatnot.

He's a talent... at worst I see him relegated to a midrange team but really, I feel like he will have the pick of whatever Tier 1 team is out there. He's DC material in say 5yrs plus.

And as I said, I truly do not like this guy but let's not be blind to the guy's talent.

Now I love Jos Verstappen, he was one of my boys back in the day, but saying that Max is a spoilt brat because his dad was a Formula One driver is like being a young footballer and arrogant as 🤬 because your dad is Emile Heskey or Joey Barton. Not exactly Schumacher or Messi, is it?

Aren't they?!

The "level" of their father is irrelevant. I know children of parents with mediocre achievements who think they are god's gift! If anything it can often be worse because they might be trying to live through their kids to achieve the things they never did.

Also it's the nepotism and special opportunities that warp a person's mind. Would he have got into F1 this fast without Daddy?

It can't be just because of that; Nico Rosberg seemed to be pleasant enough throughout his entire 10 years in F1, as was Damon Hill. I wonder how Mick Schumacher might grow up though, because his dad is one of the all-time greats.

I didn't say it was only because of that, over praise and the media have also played a part. There wasn't so much of that back in the day without social media or the internet.

Nico might have been more pleasant but he was arrogant and threw his toys out of the pram on a few occasions.

Ralf certainly was cocky as anything, as for Mick it's too early to say but rest assured he will get/already has opportunities and has expectations other people won't. That will undoubtedly affect someones personality.

But he is still only 20 years old. How arrogant and know-it-all were a lot of us at that age?

I agree age is also a factor, but I thought it went without saying.

Last edited:
This is a great thread. Keep it up!

My thoughts:
- Many if not most real racing drivers are - at heart - arrogant, somewhat antisocial egotists; some are assholes. I know because maybe I am one and have raced cars and karts for well over 40 years, meeting hundreds if not thousands of racing drivers up close and personal. The more intelligent and complete drivers will develop and polish a more civilized outer persona to ease their way through life.
- It's far easier to tell a racing driver to slow down than to go quicker.
- Despite all his mistakes, F1 is lucky to have Max. He's good for business.

Max brings back excitement to F1. There is no current/past F1 driver who denies his godgiven talent.
Max is just what happens when you take your usual top driver prospect and skip the vital learning experience that he would get if he spent more than one year in junior formula, and it shows. His talent is undeniable, but all the speed and ego in the world means little if your on-track etiquette is Senna-esque in the bad way. He's lucky most drivers in F1 are good enough not to run into him when he changes direction in braking zones. If he did that among other F3 drivers or even F2, he might have learned much sooner why it's such a bad thing to do.

With the exception of the early 'gentlemen' drivers, all the great formula one drivers have caused collisions due to being overly aggressive, sometimes they've crashed into other drivers on purpose (Senna,Prost,Schumacher and Vettel spring to mind).

Max has the potential and raw talent to be a great, he just needs to calm down and think about what he's doing. He doesn't need to dive up the inside, weave in braking areas etc, he's fast enough to catch them back up anyway.

Yesterday during a weekly F1 program several analists and former (F1) drivers also discussed this video that was posted by FIA.

Some thoughts/opinions of them:

Why did the FIA post this video? Apperently they never did that before with any other driver:
- Max is a driver, love him or hate him, but he brings a lot of discussion and new 'elan' to the sport
- Max is money and also Liberty likes that
- bashing a specific driver

Yesterday during a weekly F1 program several analists and former (F1) drivers also discussed this video that was posted by FIA.

Some thoughts/opinions of them:

Why did the FIA post this video? Apperently they never did that before with any other driver:
- Max is a driver, love him or hate him, but he brings a lot of discussion and new 'elan' to the sport
- Max is money and also Liberty likes that
- bashing a specific driver
Agreed. It's like they're trying to create a narrative that isn't there.

Agreed. It's like they're trying to create a narrative that isn't there.
So much has been invested in driver safety. Halos, crumple zones, wheel harnesses. To have Max on the beginning of his 3rd year in F1 drive like its a video game is a slap in the face to all the progress that has been made. When I first saw him I thought great a new exciting driver. But I have watched him and it is my unbiased opinion that he is an arrogant menace.

Max is just what happens when you take your usual top driver prospect and skip the vital learning experience that he would get if he spent more than one year in junior formula, and it shows. His talent is undeniable, but all the speed and ego in the world means little if your on-track etiquette is Senna-esque in the bad way. He's lucky most drivers in F1 are good enough not to run into him when he changes direction in braking zones. If he did that among other F3 drivers or even F2, he might have learned much sooner why it's such a bad thing to do.
I think that is irrelevant. He has been racing since he was 7. Don't confuse an ego with confidence. What changed this season is that both Hamilton and Vettel all reacted without using the "inexperience" card.

CN3LLx6T2izmQQy3UNSOBAIieSaSw9B8Mtey8ov8CIE.jpg

Latest Posts

Back