7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

As a side note.i know its not everyones cup of tea but what's the views on 100% races its something I would love to do,tyre wear and stops would be more accurate im thinking of this for f1 2011 as this is shaping up to be something special.

P.S.: I also would like to drive 100% races like pipeslice said. Its much more realistic

Odd you guys brought that up, I was thinking about it as I was watching the race yesterday afternoon. How much fun would that be 👍

Yes it would, it would also open up the possibility to use different strategies. Now with 50%, 1 stop is the way to go, 2 stops can work at some tracks only if you're fast enough.

But a 100% race is simply too long. With connection issues always possible in this game, a 100% race is probably sometimes rolling the dice. And I may not usually have that kind of time to sit there for 2 straight hours.

yeah I think 100% races would be an option for F1 2011.

And Dark, don't be silly about forfeiting you're position. I drove like complete **** from start to finish, it had no real bearing on my race.

yeah I think 100% races would be an option for F1 2011.

I think it should only be considered for 2011, keep this Championship as it is.

Yes it would, it would also open up the possibility to use different strategies. Now with 50%, 1 stop is the way to go, 2 stops can work at some tracks only if you're fast enough.

This would be awesome, raw pace wouldn't be as important :sly:

But a 100% race is simply too long. With connection issues always possible in this game, a 100% race is probably sometimes rolling the dice. And I may not usually have that kind of time to sit there for 2 straight hours.

True and true. Although connection issues would be more of a consideration for me. Definitely things to consider.

Maybe do a mix, have the 'Gem' races full length and the rest 50 or 75 percent.

Shaggy Alonso
I'd love to do 100% races too, but it's just not practical for me and I dare say a few others as well.

Really 100%?!? That's going to be hell for my neck :crazy:

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 12 - Hungary

12hungaryencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Light rain qualifying session, dry race with intermittent spits of rain.

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:21.665 (10 pts)

2nd. - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:21.889 (8 pts)

3rd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:22.315 (6 pts)

4th. - Baumi27 (Brawn)- 1:23.506 (5 pts)

5th. - Mutu20 (Tyrrell)- 1:23.510 (4 pts)

6th. - Ardius (Brawn) - 1:24.680 (3 pts)

7th. - pj-gm (Brabham)-1:26.057 (2 pts)

8th. - Akmuq (Hesketh)- No time set (0 pts)

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) = 47m58.553s
2nd. Pipeslice (Jordan) (18 pts) + 26.7s
3rd. DarkPSI (Benetton) (15 pts) + 11.4s (+40 secs pen)
4th. Mutu20 (Tyrrell) (12 pts) + 1 lap
5th. Baumi27 (Brawn) (10 pts) + 1 lap
6th. Ardius (Brawn) (8 pts) + 1 lap
7th. pj-gm (Brabham) (0 pts) DNF
8th. Akmuq (Hesketh) (0 pts) DNF

Qualifying:

So we arrive at the Hungaroring, a mentally tiring and very technical track to drive. I knew from practice during the week that DarkPSI had carried his impressive form from Hockenheim into this week, getting faster and faster with each passing day it seemed like. It's really as if someone has bolted 30 points of downforce on his car because he's found a way of going quite a bit faster than before. Pipeslice has just always been plain fast and is an ever-present threat to pole position so we were in for a big battle again like last week.

The rain came in qualifying so I set up for 3 flying laps to start with. Got off to a bad start, semi-dropping the car under turn-in for the first corner (always a bitch of corner) and posted a disappointing high 1:23. The second lap was a marked improvement with a 1:22.4 and I found more time as the fuel went down with a 1:21.8 for provisional pole on my third flier.

I sat in the garage looking at the sector times and realised that if I hooked up a good lap by just improving my first sector where I was losing to both Dark and Pipeslice then I'd hopefully consolidate pole. I seemed to have an edge in the final sector. So with time remaining for two more consecutive flying laps I set about improving my first sector time. I was up by almost a tenth on my previous best (not bad, still not great) but didn't quite nail the rest of the lap and actually failed to improve. During his final flier, Pipeslice wrecked his car so this eased the pressure on me slightly but Dark was still in the hunt. Then on my final lap I was actually about a tenth down in the 1st sector, so threw caution to the wind and did a decent middle sector and then an even faster final sector and found 2 tenths improvement overall with a 1:21.6. I would start on pole from Pipeslice who's time remained good for 2nd place, and DarkPSI in 3rd.

Race:

During practice midweek I realised that fuel was marginal at the Hungaroring for a full race distance, not as critical as it was at Sakhir or Valencia, but enough to make a difference if anyone could save fuel better over another. As a result of this I had to adapt my driving style slightly in order to save fuel - I won't state exactly how I did this (many of you by now will have figured it out) but all i'll say is the net result was that I had what felt like a turbo-lag exiting the corners and a strange lack of feel for the throttle which I got used to eventually. Not to exaggerate, it probably only cost me on average a tenth of a second a lap maybe, if even? But more importantly than that, the lack of feel for the throttle meant it was much easier to spin out on corner exit than with my normal technique, which disrupts your rhythm (especially important at the Hungaroring), which hurts your confidence which slows you down - a vicious circle.

So it was a dry race and i'd have a tough job on my hands to keep the guys behind me over the 35 gruelling laps to come. However my job was made a whole lot easier when Ardius came steaming from the back, missing his braking point and crashing into Mutu20 creating a domino effect as he spiralled into Pipeslice who then crashed into DarkPSI. In one fell swoop, the 3 main challengers for the race were put to the back of the field after just turn one. Tyrrell would like to announce Ardius as their new driver for 2012 :sly: (j/k)

I led away from Baumi27, Pj-gm and Mutu20 in that order who formed a handy buffer between myself and Dark and Pipe who were forced to battle their way back to the front. I pulled away to form roughly a 6 second gap to those behind me but it didn't take long for Pipeslice to cut his way through, DarkPSI following closely in his wake and after a few more laps the front three of the starting grid had resumed this formation. With hindsight, I was definitely too lackadaisical in the first few laps as I could have built a bigger lead as protection for the rest of the race in case anything happened. I did up my game though when they were behind me and was able to match their times.

Then all of a sudden DarkPSI was in second and I wondered what happened to Pipeslice? I pulled out a couple more seconds on Dark before our pit-stops and emerged out of them with Pipeslice only about 7 seconds behind even though he'd been around 10 seconds back when he was in second. I should have realised at this point that he had gone for a two stopper (he had taken a 3 second chunk out of my lead on his fresh options) however he had yet to pit again so wouldn't be a threat unless his pace was markedly faster than me on his second stint, but with hindsight we now know the two stopper was definitely the wrong strategy as the option wasn't fast enough over the prime here. So it became a two horse race between DarkPSI and myself. For some reason his pace between laps 12-20 roughly was enough for me to control the race, but he began matching my times and then bettering them as the fuel went down.

Even though Dark never got within 5 seconds of me, it was a highly intense race. I would say battling in this way, sector by sector, lap by lap is akin to a tug of war. You try to react to each others sector times by pushing (or pulling) more and more, the object being to defeat your opponent by sheer strength. However, when you're so evenly matched as we were, it comes down to trying to make your opponent slip if you can't overwhelm them with basic pace. We both had a few 'slips'. I made several mistakes throughout the race (not all when I was directly racing Dark), three mini spins out of turns 2, 4 and 9, the last one being lucky not to take my front wing off. I noticed with our sector times that I seemed to be pulling away in the first sector (a role reversal to what was happening when we practiced with each other) and we would be matched in the middle sector (where I was gaining heavily on him in practice) and the final sector could go either which way. It suggested to me that he was possibly running with more wing than before. I noticed on a couple of laps that he would gain almost a second on me in the middle sector alone so I figured he had cut the chicane, however he received penalties for each one and this meant that in the end he finished behind Pipeslice.

I got the impression Dark really didn't enjoy himself this race, which is understandable as arguably he's been the fastest out of the lot of us since Hockenheim and hasn't been able to translate this into victories mainly because of first corner incidents which he was at no fault in. I of course won't be demoting him to 4th place for his punt on Mutu20 given just how far he finished ahead of him, but I will give him a 10 second penalty for not allowing Mutu20 to repass him (I have to seeing as Dark was given a warning for this in Bahrain). However he should keep his head high because he's got the pace and this inevitably will result in more victories for him 👍 Pj-gm got disconnected which was very unfortunate as he was on the verge of recording an excellent 4th place for only his third race in what has now become such a competitive championship.

Looking at the tables, Mutu20 is gradually reeling in Baumi27 with his increased speed and consistency in the races, though he only gained a solitary point over him in this race. Pipeslice is starting to catch DarkPSI slightly but the latter still has a healthy lead. Ardius picked up a handy 11 points despite admittedly not having his best race.

Looking forward to Spa now, the most amazing circuit on the calender i'd say. See you all next Sunday :)

The Championship Tables (As of round 12):

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 353 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 291 pts
3rd. Pipeslice - 217 pts
4th. Baumi27 - 195 pts
5th. Mutu20 - 183 pts
6th. Tombrooks97 - 66 pts
7th. Ardius - 55 pts
8th. kcheeb - 53 pts
9th. MikeTheHockeyFan - 43 pts
10th. AliT12 - 41 pts
11th. Upuaut - 36 pts
12th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
13th. pj-gm - 26 pts
14th. DOUQA - 19 pts
15th. Jerry786 - 12 pts
16th. Shark33 - 3 pts
17th. Manios22DC - 2 pts
18th. jordy7777 - 2 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 536 pts - Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20
2nd. Benetton - 334 pts - DarkPSI, MikeTheHockeyFan
3rd. Jordan - 298 pts - Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33
4rd. Brawn - 252 pts - Baumi27, Manios22DC, Ardius
5th. Hesketh - 108 pts - kcheeb, NumbPhase, DOUQA, jordy7777
6th. Brabham - 103 pts - Upuaut, AliT12, pj-gm

Last edited:
Hi @ all,

great Race Report from Shaggy. Always nice and interesting to read it.
Unfortunately I cant practice so much for SPA so I hope for rain!!
A little hint about the laptimes. So what are your fastest laptimes in qualy with sims on and fuel on?

See you all sunday

DarkPSI

Well I'm not going to show my cards and give people extra motivation, but I know a 1'40 maybe even a 1'39 is possible here. Its immensely frustrating trying to gain time here, its deceptively easy to drive around but trying to push and find pace is very difficult. Its more about losing time than anything else.

Hi @ all,

great Race Report from Shaggy. Always nice and interesting to read it.
Unfortunately I cant practice so much for SPA so I hope for rain!!
A little hint about the laptimes. So what are your fastest laptimes in qualy with sims on and fuel on?

See you all sunday

DarkPSI

Only 1:55's Dark, i'm really struggling!!! :nervous::nervous:

;)

Well I'm not going to show my cards and give people extra motivation, but I know a 1'40 maybe even a 1'39 is possible here. Its immensely frustrating trying to gain time here, its deceptively easy to drive around but trying to push and find pace is very difficult. Its more about losing time than anything else.

Not with tyre and fuel sim on my friend. Either that or I really am struggling badly!

I meant in time trial or with fuel and tyre sim off. My problems with this track are the same with or without, I can't seem to find the best line around here and I'm constantly fighting the car to force it through the corners. I have a decent pace here and can put in a decent lap, but as soon as I try to push it further at any part of the circuit, I always lose time.
The only part of the track I've managed to improve on with practice is the first corner, you can find or lose easily 5 tenths on this one corner alone just by taking the wrong approach or messing up the exit.
But most of the other corners I've had difficulty improving.

What confuses and frustrates me the most with this track is that the fastest drivers always appear to have equal or more straight line speed but still take all of the corners much much faster than me. I find I can't take the corners any faster as I get understeer. I'm running as low downforce as possible (with some front wing added), and tried to setup the car to give back as much grip as possible without the downforce. But still I'm much slower mid-corner than the best guys - its like they have more grip somehow.

I'm pretty sure its to do with the lines I'm taking but like I say, I'm struggling to really find improvements in the lines without either understeering or oversteering.

Immensely frustrating!

Nice race today Shaggy, but you didn't need to keep waiting for me. It actually only frustrated me further seeing you being able to run the outside line on me to overtake and still drive around the corner faster! I've raced with 4 or 5 different drivers who have been so much faster than I have and I'm lost trying to find where I'm going wrong.
It only makes things worse if I try to drive defensively and take the inside lines for corners, etc, as not only am I slower anyway through the corner but I have to slow down even more to make sure I make the corner!

Nice race report Shaggy, wish I could have been there for the race!

Spa has never been a good track for me, I love driving it, but racing on it was well beyond me. With the practice I'm putting in now, that seems to be slowly changing, I must be gaining a better understanding of the flow of the course or something.

I'm not talking Shaggy, Dark or Pipe pace, just improving my own. At any rate, this should be an awesome race Sunday, looking forward to it.

kcheeb
Nice race report Shaggy, wish I could have been there for the race!

Spa has never been a good track for me, I love driving it, but racing on it was well beyond me. With the practice I'm putting in now, that seems to be slowly changing, I must be gaining a better understanding of the flow of the course or something.

I'm not talking Shaggy, Dark or Pipe pace, just improving my own. At any rate, this should be an awesome race Sunday, looking forward to it.

Only going to be able to practice on the Saturday as I come back from Somerset on the Friday, are you available to practice on Saturday Ken? And between the 8th and 22nd August i'm in America so i'll be missing out on Singapore (Woo-hoo) and Italy I think, see you Sunday :)

Man, Spa is going to be glourioius but I have to work on a setup for it. I am currently only running low 1:48s when I know 1:44 / 43s are necessary to be competitive.

If there is one marquee race you want to win this season, Spa is it.

I meant in time trial or with fuel and tyre sim off. My problems with this track are the same with or without, I can't seem to find the best line around here and I'm constantly fighting the car to force it through the corners. I have a decent pace here and can put in a decent lap, but as soon as I try to push it further at any part of the circuit, I always lose time.
The only part of the track I've managed to improve on with practice is the first corner, you can find or lose easily 5 tenths on this one corner alone just by taking the wrong approach or messing up the exit.
But most of the other corners I've had difficulty improving.

What confuses and frustrates me the most with this track is that the fastest drivers always appear to have equal or more straight line speed but still take all of the corners much much faster than me. I find I can't take the corners any faster as I get understeer. I'm running as low downforce as possible (with some front wing added), and tried to setup the car to give back as much grip as possible without the downforce. But still I'm much slower mid-corner than the best guys - its like they have more grip somehow.

I'm pretty sure its to do with the lines I'm taking but like I say, I'm struggling to really find improvements in the lines without either understeering or oversteering.

Immensely frustrating!

Nice race today Shaggy, but you didn't need to keep waiting for me. It actually only frustrated me further seeing you being able to run the outside line on me to overtake and still drive around the corner faster! I've raced with 4 or 5 different drivers who have been so much faster than I have and I'm lost trying to find where I'm going wrong.
It only makes things worse if I try to drive defensively and take the inside lines for corners, etc, as not only am I slower anyway through the corner but I have to slow down even more to make sure I make the corner!

I know exactly what you're talking about, Spa is such a great track because it rewards controlled aggression. If you don't push enough you lose loads of time, but equally if you force it too much you lose loads of time (partly because the speeds you're going at are so high that you lose more time than you would with an equivalent mistake at most other circuits). A great lap around Spa should feel very precise and flow beautifully. Sometimes it is hard to figure out where the time is going missing though as you can do what feels like a good lap but is half a second off your best.

About our racing, yeah sorry about that. That thought had crossed my mind but I was just more interested in practicing race craft than I was at race pace at that point. Was great fun anyway 👍

Motorsports News Magazine

There is the rumor that DarkPSI is going to test some setups and new parts on spa circuit today.
A Report about these tests follows tomorrow.

Only going to be able to practice on the Saturday as I come back from Somerset on the Friday, are you available to practice on Saturday Ken? And between the 8th and 22nd August i'm in America so i'll be missing out on Singapore (Woo-hoo) and Italy I think, see you Sunday :)

definitely up for it tom. let me know what time.

EDIT: Times are starting to come down, put up a 1:49.6 in practice. About 5 seconds off where I started. Now if I can find another 5 seconds ... I might be competitive.

Last edited:
This track, at least for me, greatly relies on the adjsutable front wing. I donn't run much downforce, so that wing angle is what cancels out the low downforce setup's drawbacks somewhat to help put up a fast lap time. And while Hungary was all about accuracy rather than pushing hard in order to get a fast time, Spa is equally both. Accuracy all troughout sector 1, and for the first half of sector 2, then you now start pushing, trying to take maximum speed into the high speed corners, then the last chichane, don't go over it too much, and watch out for the uncontrollable wheelspin this game has.

HRT tested some new setups and parts in SPA yesterday. We were so lucky and could have a little interview with DarkPSI.

Pipi Hammer: Hey Dark are you happy with your practice sessions today?

DarkPSI: Yeah we found about 2 seconds in our car yesterday, which is good.

Pipi Hammer: Is it hard to find a setup on this circuit?

DarkPSI: Well not really because the characteristics of this circuit are quite constant, nearly every corner is fast do drive, so in sum the car has quiet the same speed in the corners and if you find a good grip level for the fast long corners it works on every corner quiet good.

Pipi Hammer: Just give our fans a little under the hood view of setting up a F1 car in SPA

DarkPSI: Ok Pipi. Well first thing to do is to setup the Car as fast as possible for the long straight in turn 1. I think, if you have less than 360kphs at the end of sector 1, your car is to slow. Then its finding a compromise between total speed and downforce. Our car has understeering character on this circuit, so packing just a little downforce on frontwing works well, because of the fast speed in corners (aerodynamics have bigger influence in fast corners than in slow). There are nearly no bumps, so the front suspension is very hard, the rear is much softer due to our car characteristics. Negative Camber is nearly maximized for front and rear. With toe out we are just experimenting.

Pipi Hammer:Thanks for this under the hood view. Last question, what was your fastest time?

DarkPSI: Not too much on that, but there is a rumor that 1.42s are possible ;-)

Pipi Hammer: Thanks and good luck for the race on sunday!

realize the front toe out in this pic

4.jpg

Last edited:
kcheeb
definitely up for it tom. let me know what time.

EDIT: Times are starting to come down, put up a 1:49.6 in practice. About 5 seconds off where I started. Now if I can find another 5 seconds ... I might be competitive.

Great mate, I will be on at 16.30 GMT today if thats any good for you?

HRT tested some new setups and parts in SPA yesterday. We were so lucky and could have a little interview with DarkPSI.

Pipi Hammer: Hey Dark are you happy with your practice sessions today?

DarkPSI: Yeah we found about 2 seconds in our car yesterday, which is good.

Pipi Hammer: Is it hard to find a setup on this circuit?

DarkPSI: Well not really because the characteristics of this circuit are quite constant, nearly every corner is fast do drive, so in sum the car has quiet the same speed in the corners and if you find a good grip level for the fast long corners it works on every corner quiet good.

Pipi Hammer: Just give our fans a little under the hood view of setting up a F1 car in SPA

DarkPSI: Ok Pipi. Well first thing to do is to setup the Car as fast as possible for the long straight in turn 1. I think, if you have less than 360kphs at the end of sector 1, your car is to slow. Then its finding a compromise between total speed and downforce. Our car has understeering character on this circuit, so packing just a little downforce on frontwing works well, because of the fast speed in corners (aerodynamics have bigger influence in fast corners than in slow). There are nearly no bumps, so the front suspension is very hard, the rear is much softer due to our car characteristics. Negative Camber is nearly maximized for front and rear. With toe out we are just experimenting.

Pipi Hammer:Thanks for this under the hood view. Last question, what was your fastest time?

DarkPSI: Not too much on that, but there is a rumor that 1.42s are possible ;-)

Pipi Hammer: Thanks and good luck for the race on sunday!

realize the front toe out in this pic

That Pipi knows the right questions to ask :sly:

Thanks for the great post Dark!

Great mate, I will be on at 16.30 GMT today if thats any good for you?

Hey Tom, I'll still be at work then. The earliest I could drive today would be 17:00 MDT/23:00 UK Time. Tomorrow 07:00/13:00 works, I can only drive until 11:00/17:00 though.

Hopefully a time in there works for you and anyone else for that matter.

Hey Tom, I'll still be at work then. The earliest I could drive today would be 17:00 MDT/23:00 UK Time. Tomorrow 07:00/13:00 works, I can only drive until 11:00/17:00 though.

Hopefully a time in there works for you and anyone else for that matter.

Sounds good to me 👍

As we head into round 13 at the great Spa Francorchamps race circuit in the forests of Belgium, the battles in the drivers championship are heating up. We caught up with Brabham driver Peter while he was running some practice in his Mercedes MGP W01 at the circuit.

Q: How's the car on this track?

A: It's doing fine, struggling a bit on a heavy fuel load, but I should iron out those problems by Sunday.

Q: It must have been a disaster to be disconnected while in 4th in Hungary.

A: Yes, it was awful for me. I was finally on pace with Mutu and Baumi, who I've been trailing since debuting, on the way to my best finish of the season, then it all vanished into this air.

Q: What about car setup?

A: Well, at this track, the front wing angle you adjust out on track make a big difference, and they allow you to run lower downforce without being compromised in the corners too much. Softer spring and negative camber on the rear to help traction. If rain is predicted, then you are obliged to run some more downforce.

Q: Do you think you can run with Mutu and Baumi once again?

A: Maybe, they are a quick, competitive bunch, but I really want to show that Hungary wasn't a one off. This track is easy to make mistakes on, so by simply running a consistent race, I could finish ahead of them. Too far ahead in the points unfortunately.

Q: But beating Hesketh in the WCC is doable, right?

A: Yes, I think I have the upper hand on kcheeb, so after Spa, hopefully I will put Brabham ahead in the WCC.

Q: Are you prepared for rain?

A: Absolutely not :lol:. Rain will certainly be interesting. I'm not the fastest person in the rain, but in the rain, you just need to keep a consistent pace, speed up if you have to, and results will come. Expect rain on Sunday, it's very much possible here.

Last edited:
Back