85th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 17-18 June 2017Sports Cars 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 2,715 comments
Yea, it got me wondering about, however with all that said, they said they couldn't find anything on the telementary data, and at the time, it didn't seem to be affecting the performance of the #8 significantly. And at the end of day I'm nowhere near as clever or cut out for the job, that the boffins in the Toyota garage do.

Just thought it might've been worth "gambling" and bringing the #8 in earlier to be better "safe than sorry", especially after the #1's hybrid issues.

Engineers trust data too much, and less on the actual hand's on. The other problem is as you said even if they brought it in they wouldn't at that point know where to really start or guess what was wrong.

Speaking of Toyota troubles...how ya doin #7

What if the #1 also has an issue? All these LMP 1's having problems makes me nervous that it may happen to that Porsche as well

What if the #1 also has an issue? All these LMP 1's having problems makes me nervous that it may happen to that Porsche as well

Eh it's possible, they had a rare issue on the sister car, but the Porsche seem to have a more reasonable car *knock's on wood*

Eh it's possible, they had a rare issue on the sister car, but the Porsche seem to have a more reasonable car *knock's on wood*
I don't think any of them are reliable, they were having problems all week in practice/testing. Not even the P2 cars are reliable they just have strength through numbers.

A bizarre thought actually, an LMP2 taking overall victory, we are now so used to having LMP1s (or other top class cars) taking the main trophy. Although, there have been overall winners even from GT classes in the race's history.

Engineers trust data too much, and less on the actual hand's on

That's a very good way of putting it

As much as the data they analyse is very accurate and, and incredibly useful in making decisions, it's not always correct and 100% indicative of any potential issues that may be had.

I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing, after all it is what is right now with the #8, but potentially things could've been prevented with an earlier call.

Let's say all the LMP1 cars failed with hybrid drive failure, and the class became moribund and abandoned by the manufacturers. In that event I would like to see the LMP2 cars elevated to P1. What a spectacle, 30 cars instantly fighting for the podium. But if you absolutely had to have an affordable new P1 class several seconds faster than the P2's, then it could be done quickly by modifying some P2's with turbos. There are several dozen state of the art LMP2 cars in the world, plenty to feed a new class powered by 5 liter V-8 turbos.

Back