86th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 16-17 June 2018

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,592 comments
I'm still convinced majority of Toyota "fans" are not really fans but only support them because it was "anyone but Audi/VAG".

Le Mans 1999 was the first motorsport event I ever saw as a 10 year old on TV. And the TS020 just happened to be the first car that popped up on the screen back then. The only thing I can remember from watching the race that day was that it was early morning, and the TS020 was chasing the lead BMW.

Both cars along with the Mercedes CLR remain the most beautiful and memorable cars to date for me, if not solely due to the fact that these cars got me hooked up on motorsport. I've been a Toyota fan ever since.

I'm still convinced majority of Toyota "fans" are not really fans but only support them because it was "anyone but Audi/VAG".

Audi fan, moved to Toyota for 2017 only because Audi left. Definitely not the same this year since they are literally in a class of their own this year. Much more interested in the non - hybrids this year. There will be one overall podium spot up for grabs all race. And if the last two years are anything to go by, that could turn into all 3.

Audi was one of the only dominating sports teams I've ever liked, simply because I really liked the personalities on the team. They were impossibly good without coming off as insufferable. I think their impact on the sport was beyond measure - most of what we see as common practice in endurance racing today stems from the Audi R8 program and its successors. They gave a hell of a lot to the sport and raised the game substantially. They will be missed - though they were always better to watch with a proper opponent.

No sorry, genuine Toyota fan here too.
I still rock the Toyota F1 logo as my profile pic :)

No sorry, genuine Toyota fan here too.
I still rock the Toyota F1 logo as my profile pic :)

Hence the word majority, in that he is saying many are fairweather fans but still acknowledging the obvious reality of real Toyota fans...

Hence the word majority, in that he is saying many are fairweather fans but still acknowledging the obvious reality of real Toyota fans...
It's nothing to do with fairweather anything mate. It's picking a side based on who is available. I've supported Toyota since 2012. Hardly seems fairweather to me.

It's nothing to do with fairweather anything mate. It's picking a side based on who is available. I've supported Toyota since 2012. Hardly seems fairweather to me.

Who says anyone was speaking directly about you, or anyone in particular? If you've been a fan since 2012 it stands to reason you obviously aren't part of that idea @Furinkazen stated. Or what I've stated. I see many fans of Toyota as such because of who they were against always winning, the hardships they've faced and nothing really to do with the manufacture or history.

I was in love with the TS020 since first seeing the race televised live in 1999 and discovering the car in GT2. I was rooting for them all throughout their rocky Formula 1 run and was so excited when they came back to endurance sportscar racing. They've been my favorite team since then.

Only toss up would be if Alfa or Honda ever decided to jump into LMP1. The Acura Penske team has renewed my interest in our home series. Them some fine-looking prototypes.

Why is it so hard to believe that the Toyota fans out there are actually genuine Toyota fans ?
I have no doubt that there is a fair number of these 'fairweather' fans, but to say that the majority are 'fairweather' is maybe a little disrespectful to Toyota's long history in all forms of motorsport.

Why is it so hard to believe that the Toyota fans out there are actually genuine Toyota fans ?
I have no doubt that there is a fair number of these 'fairweather' fans, but to say that the majority are 'fairweather' is maybe a little disrespectful to Toyota's long history in all forms of motorsport.
I have to admit that I would sometimes think this about Audi fans during their long run of wins. The only time I really liked the Audis was in 1999, but that could be nostalgia fogging my vision. Those R8R and R8C cars were pretty cool.

The most obvious example, although I'm not sure it compares to this, would be the summer olympics when all of a sudden everyone here in the US became huge swimming fans for some reason.

The factory Porsches will look absolutely stunning this year!

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/136456/porsche-to-run-retro-liveries-at-le-mans

b7e7b77a4f06a6961db405dd2dc2d219.jpg

:drool:

Nice to see purists overreacting to the changes made to the Porsche Curves.

Besides that, you guys think Toyota will do another sub 3:20 lap?

I’m not expecting anything in the 3:14-3:16 range.

They should just wrap the cars in a different historic livery for every other race this season!

What have they done to Porsche curves? Gravel or runoff tarmac?

Alonso did a 3:19.066 to top the timing sheets on today's test day so who knows what they will do come quali.

I like Toyota and I think we deserve a non drama filled easy 24 hours win this year. So fully expecting all cars to be out by hour 12 :lol:

So, people are mad because they replaced the grass at those corners with sand and didn't alter the layout. Wat.

Thought this was the sorta rage you saw when a classic track gets a corner unreasonably tilke'd into a unrecognizable state (For passing or "Safety" reasons). Guess I'm not a purist anymore since I'm not boycotting the track.

Back