86th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 16-17 June 2018

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,592 comments
So, people are mad because they replaced the grass at those corners with sand and didn't alter the layout. Wat.

Thought this was the sorta rage you saw when a classic track gets a corner unreasonably tilke'd into a unrecognizable state (For passing or "Safety" reasons). Guess I'm not a purist anymore since I'm not boycotting the track.
I kinda see why people got upset. It was a super narrow corner that was taken almost flat out in prototypes so it was a big balls corner. Now if you get it wrong you just end up in a gravel trap. Safety-wise, I understand. But I can also see the disappointment towards the changes

Its Now or never for Toyota to bag that Lemans win!!!

I hope they do it its time for the Mazda 787B to have ts record broken of being the only Japanese racecar to win Lemans outright.

Last edited:
Its Now or never for Toyota to bag that Lemans win!!!

I hope they do its time the Mazda 787B has its record broken of being the only Japanese racecar to win th Lemans outright.

Yeah, I agree. With how the rules makers have basically given Toyota advantages left and right to keep them involved with the 2021 regulation changes, it would be a huge fiasco if Toyota end up having the same reliability problems that affected them last year.

Yeah, I agree. With how the rules makers have basically given Toyota advantages left and right to keep them involved with the 2021 regulation changes, it would be a huge fiasco if Toyota end up having the same reliability problems that affected them last year.

Somewhere Pascal Vasselon is saying "Hold my beer."

Gravel traps don't alter how a driver takes the corners. Only run off tarmac modifies how the driver takes a corner so it's a non issue.

The information I have seen is a bit ambiguous. That autosport article does appear to suggest tarmac run off. The official information states:
At the exit of the curve, 25,900 m3 of dirt was hauled away and 22,000 m3 of dirt was brought in as backfill to create a 35-meter clearance zone and put in place a grassy knoll. 350 meters of safety rails were erected as well as 370 meters of FIA-approved fencing. Roadworks were then put in place, including undercoats and then bitumen (590 tons of asphalt mix) covered with a special high-adhesion coating. The length of the circuit has been decreased by three meters and now measures 16.626 km. This was the first time the circuit had been modified since 2007.
The highlighted bit does suggest a high grip tarmac run off which, if true, does affect the circuit quite substantially I think.

I know people might criticise Toyota if they win without competitors but didnt Audi win some of its Lemans wins with no competitors.
Isn't there a Gibson running within a second of the Toyota's lap times?

Isn't there a Gibson running within a second of the Toyota's lap times?
Yep, the #3 Rebellion-Gibson R-13 driven by Mathias Beche was only 7 tenths down on Alonso to take second spot at the recent test day.

I know people might criticise Toyota if they win without competitors but didnt Audi win some of its Lemans wins with no competitors.

In 2001 and 2002 their only real factory competition was the artificial one provided by fellow VAG member, Bentley. 2004 was when LMP900 became LMP1 and the distant competition was Courage, Zytek, Lola and Dome. It wasn't until 2007 that the factory Peugeot team entered.

I'm actually really excited to see the GTE class this year. Aston's got a new car and BMW has returned ! And let's not forget Ford , Chevy , Ferrari and Porsche are in the field as well.

I'm actually really excited to see the GTE class this year. Aston's got a new car and BMW has returned ! And let's not forget Ford , Chevy , Ferrari and Porsche are in the field as well.

And with only one LMP1 Hybrid, the GTE Pro class will hopefully get more TV time. BoP has been excellent in recent years, hope they get it right again.

For the overall win: I hope Alonso will win on track, not with team orders or being the only toyota to finish.

I'm rooting for Toyota to finally get their win, but for me it's going to feel empty without another manufacture competing against them. It kinda feels like they're "punching down" in the LMP1 class since everyone else is in privateer teams/cars.

Really hoping that 2020 brings a lot of diversity in the top classes.

2020 is going to need massive restructuring of the top classes if they want anybody racing at all. I hope we'll see a massive shake-up in the direction the ACO is going.

While I'm pissed I can't get a proper paid stream here in the US...I'll be traveling on the weekend, so maybe I can record some or watch it via YouTube or something.

Hypercars will be the worst idea for the race and sportscars. Virtually no one will be able to afford it and it would be a pointless branding exercise.

So you can buy and afford an LMP1 car? Racing for manufacturers is a brand advertisement exercise, not a specific model. I actually think hypercar based race cars would even do a better job at that. And would be probably cheaper do develop.

So you can buy and afford an LMP1 car? Racing for manufacturers is a brand advertisement exercise, not a specific model. I actually think hypercar based race cars would even do a better job at that. And would be probably cheaper do develop.

Can you afford a LMP2? No. What beneficial difference would their be for say Toyota (who probably will go to GTE anyway) to want a switch to "GT1" regulations?

Can you afford a LMP2? No. What beneficial difference would their be for say Toyota (who probably will go to GTE anyway) to want a switch to "GT1" regulations?

I believe that a GT1 class like that would be more attractive as a marketing tool. I know I had a lot of super car posters when I was a kid. Race cars based on those dream cars can further create brand awareness. I think way more than completely unrecognizable LMP cars. It makes it easier to get fans interested and thus involved with the brand.
If this would be cheaper than an LMP1 program as there is potentially less development costs even better.

I believe that a GT1 class like that would be more attractive as a marketing tool. I know I had a lot of super car posters when I was a kid. Race cars based on those dream cars can further create brand awareness. I think way more than completely unrecognizable LMP cars. It makes it easier to get fans interested and thus involved with the brand.
If this would be cheaper than an LMP1 program as there is potentially less development costs even better.

GT1 was a terrible terrible set of regulations though, not sure why everyone is so behind a return of it.

GT1 was a terrible terrible set of regulations though, not sure why everyone is so behind a return of it.

True but the new regulations are still unwritten. I see a lot more marketing potential for manufactures than the current LMP1. My hope is that manufactures are then more interested in joining and we avoid situations like in this years LMP1.

Latest Posts

Back