86th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 16-17 June 2018

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,592 comments
GT1 was a terrible terrible set of regulations though, not sure why everyone is so behind a return of it.

People seem to like the look of those cars more. I wasn't watching at the time, so I can't comment too much, but the proposed or "imagined" new cars look pretty good to me. Call it what you want, but the way I read it, it sounds more like a further customized IMSA DPi setup than a return to GT1.

Lower costs and more accessibility can't hurt though, and if the regulations are done right you could have some cool cars and good racing. We can only hope! :cheers:

All in all, the GTLM/GTE Pro categories have had pretty good BOP, etc. I see no difference in taking those cars...maxing them out a bit (another 200 horses) and then applying similar BOP to them. Anything is better than the slowly deteriorating LMP1 platform that almost nobody is interested in adopting.

People seem to like the look of those cars more. I wasn't watching at the time, so I can't comment too much, but the proposed or "imagined" new cars look pretty good to me. Call it what you want, but the way I read it, it sounds more like a further customized IMSA DPi setup than a return to GT1.

Lower costs and more accessibility can't hurt though, and if the regulations are done right you could have some cool cars and good racing. We can only hope! :cheers:
Aesthetics don't matter in a race car.

The only thing I don't like about current prototypes is how much meatier they look at the front than at the rear. That's the best way I can describe it. At some angles they look like they could be front-wheel-drive. This is worse with the low-drag configurations. Need some long tails back.

There's nothing wrong with LMP1. It's just the hybrid aspect that caused the problem. Changing to a new GT style with hybrid doesn't fix the problem. Removing it would lose Toyota (they use R & D as reason to continue) and gain other manufacturers at the inevitable loss of GTE instead of a class that supports the privateers, which are NEEDED by a series for long term survival.

Of course it matters. Again, marketing. Remember those ugly F1 noses or the wing towers on the sidepots? All banned for aesthetic reasons.
Those parts were not banned on aesthetic grounds. The FIA banned x wings and towers on safety grounds. They were afraid they could come off and injury drivers. The platypus nose was the FIA design in the first place and those didn't get banned rather phased.

The FIA kept them but allowed vanity plates to be added at the request of the teams and arguably the FOM.

Of course it matters. Again, marketing. Remember those ugly F1 noses or the wing towers on the sidepots? All banned for aesthetic reasons.

I think Audi would rather have had for instance the PR of a LM win with an ugly as hell R18 rather than "we finished 2nd but looked pretty".

Really cool challenge coins this year :)

Attachments

• IMG_4629.PNG
    IMG_4629.PNG
    290.3 KB · Views: 32
Hypercars will be the worst idea for the race and sportscars. Virtually no one will be able to afford it and it would be a pointless branding exercise.
Exactly. Manufacturers simply cannot justify spending heaps of money on a racing program if there is nothing to gain from it.

Practice has started, #5 Ginetta lasted until Tetre Rouge... on the out lap...

Last edited:
My goodness me, the GTE Pro field looks absolutely stunning this year! I don't think there is one ugly car in that category.

As much as I am a Toyota fan, a big part of me secretly wants Rebellion to win, if only because their car is a beauty.

Buemi goes 2nd fastest at the end there, with a 3:19. It's looking quite close between Toyota and the rest of the non-hybrids, though much either of them are keeping in reserve for quali remains to be seen.

GTE-Pro looking tasty as ever, looking like a Ford V Porsche battle for now, though the two AF Corse Ferrari's split them up near the end. Chasing pack aren't too far back, though Aston still seem to be struggling a tad.

Can someone help me with something? For the Ferrari 488 GTE, is there any way to refer to the two different iterations I've seen? I don't mean the EVO - but rather, I've seen one variant with these additional lights at the edge of the hood & at the sides of the front splitter, and one where they seem to be covered up. Here's with, and here's without. Is it for a certain race/series/event/circuit? What do you call those additional lights, do you just call 'em light clusters?

Can someone help me with something? For the Ferrari 488 GTE, is there any way to refer to the two different iterations I've seen? I don't mean the EVO - but rather, I've seen one variant with these additional lights at the edge of the hood & at the sides of the front splitter, and one where they seem to be covered up. Here's with, and here's without. Is it for a certain race/series/event/circuit? What do you call those additional lights, do you just call 'em light clusters?
Endurance and Sprint?
The additional lights are most likely, driving lights at the top and fog lights at the bottom.

Endurance and Sprint?
The additional lights are most likely, driving lights at the top and fog lights at the bottom.

Ah, that might make sense - the lights are uncovered for endurances, and covered for sprint races. And aren't sprint races basically a lot like the daily races one would typically enter in Gran Turismo Sport? Where the race can easily have a duration that's entirely within sunlight?

Love seeing the Hybrids accelerate as they come out of the pits and off the limiter. It's like warp speed!

Back