86th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 16-17 June 2018

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,592 comments
Well it wasn't a classic and it lacked a great battle for lmp1 that we have been used to over the last few years with audi/peugeot/toyota/porsche but the GTE pro battle was very good.

Aston Martin however not only does the new car look awful but the performance at the minute is way worse than I thought it would be :/ shame for my favourite GTE brand.

Congratulations to Toyota, a win is a win at the end of the day, also congratulations to Alonso, he has had some awful luck with the cars he has been given in F1 in recent years and again las year at Indy but the biggest congratulations of all goes to my girlfriend for putting up with at least 14 hours of le mans on screen time (wish some world cup games in between) on her tv at her house whilst cooking me dinner and feeding me beer as I sat on the sofa this weekend nursing an injury!

Looking forward to some more competition up front in the future years but not very convinced about the new rules proposed for 2020 onwards :/

Here is the proposed 2020 concept rules:

The Automobile Club De L’Ouest revealed a detailed framework for the proposed 2020 ‘LMP1’ regulations for the FIA World Endurance Championship (and therefore the Le Mans 24 Hours) today at the Circuit de la Sarthe.

From 2020 onward, the top class (its name still has yet to be decided) will feature prototype-based cars with styling designed to ensure highly visible relevance to the brand fielding each car, the categories of car mentioned as examples being “super cars, luxury GTs, hypercars and concept cars.”

All of them will be four-wheel drive, with a hybrid KERS system operating on the front axle and a common ECU with homologated software. Any manufacturer hybrid system must be available to privateer teams at an accessible cost.

The engine architecture will be free, allowing both normally aspirated and turbocharged engines of either small or large capacities. They will, however, feature a fixed maximum performance target of 700 horsepower, with an additional 271hp from the hybrid system.

outline-for-2020-presentation1.jpg
On the aero side, the ACO states that “dimensions and aerodynamic rules are set in order to provide enough freedom for the brand design and are relevant with the dimensions/ proportions of a top-class GT car.”

Mobile aero devices will be accepted for this, and downforce and drag will be fixed, with only one set of bodywork per season to be homologated.

The target lap time for these new top class cars at Le Mans will be a 3m20s. Toyota’s pole lap for this year’s race was 3m15.377s.

These new regulations, subject to approval, will be fixed for five years, from 2020 to 2024, with a focus on cost control. FIA WEC CEO Gerard Neveu told RACER that the target is 25-30 million euros [$29-$35m] for a program per season — touted as roughly a quarter of the budget of the current LMP1 hybrid programs — and that he expects aspirant privateer teams to be able to compete alongside manufacturers in the class, especially with the potential for customer programs.

“When you speak about budgets of 20-25 million, there are many business models possible. When you do a joint venture and use some partners. We have seen (in the past) top privateer teams making joint ventures with manufacturers or major sponsors.”

Neveu said multiple manufacturers have expressed interest, having been involved in conversations throughout the “long process” in developing the regulations.
https://racer.com/2018/06/15/2020-l..._medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

Watched most of it. I saw most because I slept for five hours and didn't enjoy the race enough to go back and watch what I missed. I also missed another 4-5 hours worth because of commercials.

Hugely missed having access to a normal competent stream sans-commercials. I will have to look into alternate options next year - did not enjoy Velocity (disclaimer: I don't watch TV nowdays and I'd forgotten how much I disdain commercial interruptions).

As for the race itself? Eh. A huge letdown compared to what I was expecting and nowhere near as interesting as last year. Good for Toyota (yawn), and congrats to the other classes, but I saw very little that intrigued me or kept me drawn to the screen this year.

Watched most of it. I saw most because I slept for five hours and didn't enjoy the race enough to go back and watch what I missed. I also missed another 4-5 hours worth because of commercials.

Hugely missed having access to a normal competent stream sans-commercials. I will have to look into alternate options next year - did not enjoy Velocity (disclaimer: I don't watch TV nowdays and I'd forgotten how much I disdain commercial interruptions).

As for the race itself? Eh. A huge letdown compared to what I was expecting and nowhere near as interesting as last year. Good for Toyota (yawn), and congrats to the other classes, but I saw very little that intrigued me or kept me drawn to the screen this year.

Looks like you misses a certain youtube stream earlier which features no commentaries, no commercials and full 60fps which looks amazing on my 4K Android TV with Chromecast built in.

I was using one that had RLM over the live feed, and it somehow survived on Youtube for 24 hours, and wasn't taken down.

Are Toyota known and understood to be losers and cheaters?

I was only joking about their bad luck at Le Mans. It'd just be their kind of luck, that they finally cross the line first. Only to have the cars disqualified afterwards for a technical breach or something (be it accidental or otherwise). It's about the only way they haven't lost the race.

Last edited:
I saw a fair bit of the race on Eurosport - great to see Toyota win and I agree with the assessment that it is still a great achievement despite the obvious lack of competition, though it is a great shame that LMP1 is in such a state. As for the other classes, however, there was some great racing - although I have to wonder how on Earth Makowiecki didn't get a penalty... his blocking of Bourdais was way beyond fair.

Well it wasn't a classic and it lacked a great battle for lmp1 that we have been used to over the last few years with audi/peugeot/toyota/porsche but the GTE pro battle was very good.
My thoughts exactly. Still well worth watching, but not a race that I would be inclined to rush back and watch again.

My thoughts exactly. Still well worth watching, but not a race that I would be inclined to rush back and watch again.

Well, either I saw a different race through the night or you guys fell asleep. But Alonso was nothing short of unbelievable, putting on a relentless 4-consecutive-stint hunt (and begging for a fith stint, lol) that kept me very much awake.

It's not that he is Fernando Alnso and therefore expected to be consistently in the lead pack of Indianapolis on his first try, and win Le Mans in his frist try. It is that I feel priviliged to see such exploits as they happen.

I know we can say the #8 had it all to win. I know (and glancing this thread I read hints of it) that many will say Toyota engineered this win for PR purposes. I know Buemi /Nakajima /Alonso is top tier combination, hard to best. But that doesn't take anything away from them all (even if I feel for Kobayashi, always liked and admired his speed) and - especially from the night show Alonso put on. Speed, Consistency, no Mistakes. That's his signature and he left it at La Sarthe.

I just read a "Guardian" piece about Le Mans, and I know the Guardian isn't a motorsporsts newspaper, but I think the guy that wrote it summed it up better than I can (native language and all that … ). Quoted with due consideration

The Guardian
However Alonso’s car was put on the back foot after a 60-second stop‑go penalty for speeding in a slow-zone early into the 10th hour. It put the squad just over two minutes back when the Spaniard took to the wheel around 1.30am and he then put in a storming quadruple stint to haul them back into contention.

He was running lap times in the 3min 19-20sec region of the 8.46-mile track and hitting them with a metronomic consistency and control, running at the limit through traffic in a bravura display of skill. Repeatedly between two and fours seconds a lap quicker than Conway and then López, he had almost halved the gap when he offered just to keep going at 4am. “Tell me if you want another stint? I’ve got into the rhythm of the night,” he said. It was a remarkable performance in darkness on the first time he has driven the circuit competitively.

Nakajima replaced him and proved the pace was still there, finally passing Kobayashi for the lead through Mulsanne corner after 16 and a half hours. It proved enough, Alonso and Buemi were able to consolidate and extend their advantage to the flag.

Well, either I saw a different race through the night or you guys fell asleep. But Alonso was nothing short of unbelievable, putting on a relentless 4-consecutive-stint hunt (and begging for a fith stint, lol) that kept me very much awake.

It's not that he is Fernando Alnso and therefore expected to be consistently in the lead pack of Indianapolis on his first try, and win Le Mans in his frist try. It is that I feel priviliged to see such exploits as they happen.

I know we can say the #8 had it all to win. I know (and glancing this thread I read hints of it) that many will say Toyota engineered this win for PR purposes. I know Buemi /Nakajima /Alonso is top tier combination, hard to best. But that doesn't take anything away from them all (even if I feel for Kobayashi, always liked and admired his speed) and - especially from the night show Alonso put on. Speed, Consistency, no Mistakes. That's his signature and he left it at La Sarthe.

I just read a "Guardian" piece about Le Mans, and I know the Guardian isn't a motorsporsts newspaper, but I think the guy that wrote it summed it up better than I can (native language and all that … ). Quoted with due consideration
Did you know that Kobayashi refused to take the podium in Spa as the team would not allow his car to win? Alonso is world class, no argument there, but you don't take two and a half minutes out of an identical car with no weak link in it other than Lopez (who I don't personally think is good enough) unless there is an amateur in the car. This was set up for Alonso to win from the start. You don't agree I know, but that's that as far as I'm concerned. It's not a slight on Alonso, he is almost as good as he thinks he is.

I hope this Toyota win either motivates Nissan to come back try again.

I also hope Mazda comes back or maybe Honda trying out Lemans perhaps?

Not in LMP1. There's only this season plus the 2019/2020 season for them. The new GT style is due for the 2020/2021 season. Maybe then.

Did you know that Kobayashi refused to take the podium in Spa as the team would not allow his car to win? Alonso is world class, no argument there, but you don't take two and a half minutes out of an identical car with no weak link in it other than Lopez (who I don't personally think is good enough) unless there is an amateur in the car. This was set up for Alonso to win from the start. You don't agree I know, but that's that as far as I'm concerned. It's not a slight on Alonso, he is almost as good as he thinks he is.

Not in LMP1. There's only this season plus the 2019/2020 season for them. The new GT style is due for the 2020/2021 season. Maybe then.

Yes I know they wont come back to LMP1 but the 2020 new rules perhaps could maybe see some manufacturers coming back.

I have to wonder how on Earth Makowiecki didn't get a penalty... his blocking of Bourdais was way beyond fair.

I have to agree with this but oh boy was that battle a joy to watch. Thought I was watching a sprintrace. Also Bourdais' father had a couple of nailbiting moments.

When the race started and I saw all those GTE cars racing, close to eachother, that was fantastic. They could fill up the whole field with those cars. Add a couple of manufactureres and we are good to go.

Performance of Toyota was great. Rocksolid machine and without competition. As said by others, still a great achievement. My only complaint is that they really have/had zero pression from other teams so it weakens a bit the overal achievement.

For me 2020 can't come soon enough. Going back to GT1 type of cars with a more strict budgetcontrol could be the solution for quite a few other manufacturers to come back. For 2019 I have my doubts what it will be. It will be included in this years season and without some fresh stuff it could become a bit of a boring one.

Wait and see!

Overall, this year, solid performances, great battles and no JB or Montoya on the podium :banghead:

Looking back, I have to say the Pink Pig Porsche 911's pace was overall impressive to me. I saw it gain the lead early on in the race and it fricken held it for the rest of the way, no other cars could quite touch it.
It gained a big lead by being in the right safety car pack. The rest of the pack was behind the following one, one third of the way back around the track

Yeah, it was an impressive drive and it needed an experienced driver to pull it off, but it wasn't a pressured performance, was it? The only competition was from his team mate. Versus some of the drives in recent years where you had the lead pack separated by a handful of seconds and chasing each other through the night. A good performance? Yes. A classic? Not even close.

Finishing the 24 hours of Le Mans is always going to be a massive accolade but, as much as I admire Toyota for their persistence, it is a slightly hollow victory. I was hoping they might push to try and do something to really define their win (i.e. beat the distance record), but they were just heading for the flag. I am still gutted they never took the win in 2016, that was undoubtably the saddest moment I have ever witnessed at a track.

Further to my first post, I would revisit the GT battle again: how did the #91 Porsche get away with that weaving?!
I hope this Toyota win either motivates Nissan to come back try again.

I also hope Mazda comes back or maybe Honda trying out Lemans perhaps?
Would love to see it and be proven wrong, but their LMP1 project was such a disaster I would think they will be giving Le Mans/WEC a wide berth for a good few years before coming back.

Looking back, I have to say the Pink Pig Porsche 911's pace was overall impressive to me. I saw it gain the lead early on in the race and it fricken held it for the rest of the way, no other cars could quite touch it.
I might be a bit biased because I was hoping that the Ford(s) would be more competitive, but I think the BoP was still a bit skewed. Can't deny that, once they got out in front, the Pink Pig didn't put a wheel wrong.

Further to my first post, I would revisit the GT battle again: how did the #91 Porsche get away with that weaving?!
It got a black and white driver standards flag but nothing else. Gutless stewards is my guess. Black flag and a nice chat about your racing licence would have been my solution. Not so much for the weaving, pushing the other guy into the red section on the straight was too much, by a long way.

I'm sure the BoP wasn't perfect, but pretty much every GT Pro car's best lap was within a second, so it probably wasn't too far off unless somebody was getting a huge advantage in the pits or somebody's tires were wearing much faster. Fords were close early but fell off a bit(I don't remember how). Then the BMWs were looking very racy until they broke. The various GT battles looked pretty good with each car seeming to have the edge at various parts of the lap. The top 2 Porsches managed to have a great run with no big chunks of time lost(and the 92 got a huge gap with a lucky break on le Mans safety car rules) and just never looked back.

There was a ton of blocking in GT Pro though, probably should have been at least a half dozen penalties. Stewards were also very lenient on them for track limits.

First half of the race they were called on track limits a lot. Wouldn't call it lenient at all, memory tells me they were given the most. I could be thinking of the Am Porsches but I'm pretty sure the Pink Pig was called out twice?

First half of the race they were called on track limits a lot. Wouldn't call it lenient at all, memory tells me they were given the most. I could be thinking of the Am Porsches but I'm pretty sure the Pink Pig was called out twice?

As was the Rothmans car if I remember right, thought I doubt they were the only ones.

It gained a big lead by being in the right safety car pack. The rest of the pack was behind the following one, one third of the way back around the track
Right, I think I missed that part. Sorry, I had a hard time watching the race earlier on from being on the road.

I might be a bit biased because I was hoping that the Ford(s) would be more competitive, but I think the BoP was still a bit skewed. Can't deny that, once they got out in front, the Pink Pig didn't put a wheel wrong.
So, could Porsche have been sandbagging or something?

Back