86th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 16-17 June 2018

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,592 comments
@Michelin Man
@Furinkazen

Ok maybe u like numbers more:
488 weight according to Aco regulations 1291kg.

911 RSR pink pig 1269 kg.

488 fuel tank 93 liters.

Pink pig 101 liters.

458 & 488 have always been about that weight. Point about fuel tank size? Every car has different rates of fuel consumption. Did you forget the concessions to allow the Viper to race?

458 & 488 have always been about that weight. Point about fuel tank size? Every car has different rates of fuel consumption. Did you forget the concessions to allow the Viper to race?

I was always wondering why the Viper wasn´t in GTE as it would make a great addition imo. Is it because it drinks too much?

I was always wondering why the Viper wasn´t in GTE as it would make a great addition imo. Is it because it drinks too much?

The cars were retired a few years back after they won in IMSA. Homologation may have expired as well.

1BAAEEAD-5C32-49ED-B43C-AB813EF2B9CE.jpeg

Attachments

• CADB90CC-7DF1-4E37-B738-7D0C6DE23996.jpeg
    CADB90CC-7DF1-4E37-B738-7D0C6DE23996.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 49
A Russian team cheated? I am shocked...SHOCKED I tell you that a Russian would cheat at any form of sporting event. It'd be like taking PEDs for curling....oh wait.
I hate these attacks on Russia about cheating as if others don't do it. The only difernce is that the media doesn't attack a nation for it USA athletes have doped and tested positive many times but still competed in the Olympics thanks to the US looking the other way. Doping is an American past time. I always thought it was hilarious that people thought good old Lance was clean even after winning the tour after cancer. US Uni's are full of doping students. Gets on my tits.

Now having said that, I hope this team is barred from next years Le Mans. They have done more than simply cheat, they have stolen glory from a team that will never get that experience of winning back (even if they could win in the future). They'll just get the No.1 spot but it is meaningless now.

So happy for Toyota finally sealing the deal. Been rooting for them all throughout F1 and since their endurance return. I don't care about any of the nay-sayers doubting their performance. They finally had a perfect race, and it just happened to be without a comparitive manufacturer. So what? Audi had plenty of freebies.

The no.7 blunder did seem a little suspect to me, but I'll just shrug it off 'cause I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. Alonso was fast anyway so whatever.

I hope Tamiya makes a 1/24 kit of this year's car so I can build one to sit next to my TS020.

Distance equals speed over time, simple as that.
Isn't speed equal to distance over time? ;)

Don't know man, Toyota was supposed to be prepared for anything happening at le mans, they've been saying it all year. And the number 7 happened to forget to pit for fuel. Really?? Either way doesn't matter, was going to be a Toyota 1,2 either way

So happy for Toyota finally sealing the deal. Been rooting for them all throughout F1 and since their endurance return. I don't care about any of the nay-sayers doubting their performance. They finally had a perfect race, and it just happened to be without a comparitive manufacturer. So what? Audi had plenty of freebies.

The no.7 blunder did seem a little suspect to me, but I'll just shrug it off 'cause I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. Alonso was fast anyway so whatever.

I hope Tamiya makes a 1/24 kit of this year's car so I can build one to sit next to my TS020.

Isn't speed equal to distance over time? ;)
I‘m sorry, yes you‘re right! But you got me.

They finally had a perfect race
Two 60 second stop and holds plus spinning the wheels on the jack, Alonso over shooting the pit box and either being pushed back or reversing for the winner together with one 60 stop and hold for the 2nd car plus missing the pit-in so doing an extra lap on the pit limiter followed by two 10 second stop and holds, the first for using too much energy in the 12 lap stint and the other for doing a 12 lap.

That is perfect? It was the most incompetent performance by the winner since Audi in 2012, but a win is a win, and I'm glad they finally got that monkey off their backs.

Two 60 second stop and holds plus spinning the wheels on the jack, Alonso over shooting the pit box and either being pushed back or reversing for the winner together with one 60 stop and hold for the 2nd car plus missing the pit-in so doing an extra lap on the pit limiter followed by two 10 second stop and holds, the first for using too much energy in the 12 lap stint and the other for doing a 12 lap.

That is perfect? It was the most incompetent performance by the winner since Audi in 2012, but a win is a win, and I'm glad they finally got that monkey off their backs.

Damn. Guess all the real stuff happened while I was at the hospital. Not so perfect, then.

they have stolen glory from a team that will never get that experience of winning

Had this personally happen in Spa during the Supercup Season a few years back. We had finished P2, but due to a penalty that later came back to haunt the team that finished P1, we were given the win. But it wasn't the same. There was no 1st Place podium celebration. There were no winning celebrations in the driver's lounge. We didn't find out until after the interviews that "upon review" etc....

Can't imagine it being any different for that team at Le Mans. In their eyes, and I know from experience in the eyes of the driver - it'll never feel like a win.

We won at Spa the next year. It was nice :)

Last edited:
Had this personally happen in Spa during the Supercup Season a few years back. We had finished P2, but due to a penalty that later came back to haunt the team that finished P1, we were given the win. But it wasn't the same. There was no 1st Place podium celebration. There were no winning celebrations in the driver's lounge. We didn't find out until after the interviews that "upon review" etc....

Can't imagine it being any different for that team at Le Mans. In their eyes, and I know from experience in the eyes of the driver - it'll never feel like a win.

We won at Spa the next year. It was nice :)

I think there was a mess up with the quotes here because i don’t remember ever posting what was quoted, lol.

Point is it's still a huge bonus gifted to Porsche no one can deny that. 488 always had a bad weight + fuel thank due to Aco restrictions, but this year they made it worse, because they won Wec 2017. So Aco killed it for good in 2018. It has been clear months ago it would finish like this. We are supporter of this or that team but we can also be fair and realize things for what they are. No hard feelings ok?

the most incompetent performance by the winner
In 1955, the winning driver, Hawthorn (Jaguar), caused a crash that killed 83 people and injured another 180. The actual race became a walkover. The very worst auto race in history. Never forget it.

In 1955, the winning driver, Hawthorn (Jaguar), caused a crash that killed 83 people and injured another 180. The actual race became a walkover. The very worst auto race in history. Never forget it.

Blaming Mike Hawthorn isn't fair.

In the end the enquiry ruled that no specific driver was responsible for the crash, and that it was merely a terrible racing incident.

Blaming Mike Hawthorn isn't fair.
Oh yes it is! While there were many factors that compounded the crash, it was exactly and only Hawthorn that caused the specific chain of events that led to the massive tragedy. He passed Macklin, then immediately pulled in front of Macklin and stood on his (revolutionary and powerful disc) brakes, causing Macklin to lose control. He openly admitted it was his fault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster

Oh yes it is! While there were many factors that compounded the crash, it was exactly and only Hawthorn that caused the specific chain of events that led to the massive tragedy. He passed Macklin, then immediately pulled in front of Macklin and stood on his (revolutionary and powerful disc) brakes, causing Macklin to lose control. He openly admitted it was his fault.

My quote was from that page...

What planet are you on? I said SINCE 2012. I know about '55.

Oh wise Oracle, how about you stop being an insensitive douche about an incident over 60 years ago, I doubt your knowledge is more than anyone else here.

So i just read up a bit , but it is hard to get solid hard facts.. isn't it true that Audi was the only factory team from 2000 to 2006?

No. Whilst the Bentley team was effectively Audi in green, you also had Cadillac, Chrysler and MG racing during the earlier of those years, as well as Panoz, although I'm not sure if they count as a factory team. In 2004 and 2005 there were no factory teams in LMP1 at all - the Audis that were run in those years were all privateers.

So i just read up a bit , but it is hard to get solid hard facts.. isn't it true that Audi was the only factory team from 2000 to 2006?
Apart from their VAG sister Bentley with the same Audi engine. I think there was an American manufacturer early on but it didn't last.

Back