8MB Memory card corrupted by GT4

• Thread starter chickmag
  • 140 comments
hello!!!!!

turn autosave off and always shut off the PS 2 in the menu screen!!!!
is the best way and will no be corrupted save! đź‘Ť

TurboJ
What benefit is there if taking the autosave 'off' ?
It still saves automatically, so what's the difference?

There is a theory that the memory cards aren't meant to be written to as often as autosave does. Every time you exit a race or test or mission, it saves. With autosave restricted, it only autosaves when you change cars, and I don't know, actually, now that I'm in the middle of the sentence. . . :dunce: Anyway, you have to save it yourself, at the home screen.

And with autosave, those of us with the habit of exiting the race and slamming the reset button will then realize that the flashing access icon was there. Ooops.

just to share my story as well. i have past like a third of the game or so and i always back up my file. so one day i was being lazy and decided to save over the old game file with new file while still in GT4. cuz usually i save through the PS2 browser menu. it didnt corrupt my file per se. what it did was save everything but my garage full of cars. the only car that was not deleted was my R8. luckily of course i still have my original card with the full game saved.

unfortunately, dont be cheap. have 2 cards handy.

That explains the cars missing. Saving the game from the game only saves progress, it looks like. To get the garage, too, you have to copy the game save in the browser. I'm not going to do the experiment, but if you're gonna save somebody's game onto your memory card, from in-game, maybe changing cars will save the garage, too. I know that an autosave occurs when you change cars.

My gt4 savegame is halfcorrupted, I can save my progress and cars but no pics or replays, it just says "Save failed" I could do it the first week or so but not now. Anyone else gotten that?
I don't use a Sony 8mb but a 32mb max memory card.

Heyl
My gt4 savegame is halfcorrupted, I can save my progress and cars but no pics or replays, it just says "Save failed" I could do it the first week or so but not now. Anyone else gotten that?
I don't use a Sony 8mb but a 32mb max memory card.

You got enough free space on the card?
Pics and replays are not part of the game save. When we're talking about that, it's a 1.4-something-K file when you look at the card in the browser. If you've got enough photo-mode pics and replays on your card, you may have filled it up.

wfooshee
You got enough free space on the card?
Pics and replays are not part of the game save. When we're talking about that, it's a 1.4-something-K file when you look at the card in the browser. If you've got enough photo-mode pics and replays on your card, you may have filled it up.
Yeah I have like 24mb left on it. I've tried removing pics and then saving but it didn't work. I can still save pics to a USB device tho. Really odd.

Heyl
Yeah I have like 24mb left on it. I've tried removing pics and then saving but it didn't work. I can still save pics to a USB device tho. Really odd.

Can't have 24MB free on an 8-meg card. Either you're looking at 24K, in which case it's full, no room for pics or replays, or you're using somebody's supercard, which means all bets are off as to how well it really works. The best I've done personally is a 16 MB card that doesn't need its own boot disc first, works just like the Sony cards, but I actually haven't put even 6 MB on it yet!

wfooshee
Can't have 24MB free on an 8-meg card. Either you're looking at 24K, in which case it's full, no room for pics or replays, or you're using somebody's supercard, which means all bets are off as to how well it really works. The best I've done personally is a 16 MB card that doesn't need its own boot disc first, works just like the Sony cards, but I actually haven't put even 6 MB on it yet!
I said I used a 32mb card from Maxspeed, I didn't need a bootdiscc for that either. I can save other games on it and gt4 aswell but no pics or replays as I could before (still with the 32mb card)

Heyl
I said I used a 32mb card from Maxspeed, I didn't need a bootdiscc for that either. I can save other games on it and gt4 aswell but no pics or replays as I could before (still with the 32mb card)

Reading skills are such a gift. I don't know how I missed that. I guess I skimmed a little quickly. . . . . :dunce:

My 16 is a Max Memory, by Datel, bought it at Circuit City. I'm using it for backup, not sure I trust it with my actual game. We'll see.

But it still seems overly coincidental that you're having trouble with the 32-MB card at the 8-MB point of use. Could the game be hard-coded with an 8MB limit somehow? ? ? ? As an experiment, if you've got enough cards laying around, move a meg or so to another card and see what happens.

If it was hard coded with a 8mb limit, it would've worked when I deleted some pictures and then took some other pics and saved.

Heyl
If it was hard coded with a 8mb limit, it would've worked when I deleted some pictures and then took some other pics and saved.

I would think so, but the 8MB limit was just a hypothesis. I don't see how they could do that, anyway. Don't know what to tell you, then. Can you save pics or replays on a new or different card?

50.8% complete....had no idea this could happen. What a bummer. Starting over seems to be the only alternative. I dont' want my buddies' data, I don't want a cheat device. I don't know how I was supposed to know to turn auto-save off and back out to the menu screen. How would I know this? This is like the first time you lose a term paper becuase you didn't back it up to multiple locations. Live and learn I guess. All I can say is with all the delays getting this game to market, not to mention the lack of online play, is just another disappointiment in a long line of disappointments regarding GT4. Everything I read and see says the Gran Turismo line of games is by far the flagship for the PS2. Why can't they get it right with their flagship product? I *hate* Bill Gates & Microsoft but I'm starting to think I need to move on over to the Xbox. Are there problems like this on that platform?

I had no idea there was a problem with this. I was 94% complet, and had just finished, and won, the 24hour le Mans. Then, next time I turn on I've a mesage of data corruption.
That was about 4 or 5 months ago and I have only now even considered using my PS again, but thought I would look on the web to se if this was a prob anyone else had had.
I'm not sur if I will start again or not....................................

back up your games...........

As it says in my sig.. happened to me a while ago, fortunatly a mate has a cheat disk and i got it back to where i was, almost, at 80% or so!!

BUT IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!

So im gonna buy another card i think!

Have restarted on my other card, but really cant be arsed to do all the races again!

all of this stuff confuses me, really... i have an NTSC version of GT4 and the 'slim' PS2... i use a Sony Micro Vault 256mb USB flash-drive... Sony 8mb memory-cards (3, one save is 'original' game, then backup of original game, and a save with all cars in garage sold for tuning experiments)... and for good measure, all is uploaded to a Sony notebook...

ok, here's the deal...

i've turned the PS2 off during auto-saving... i've swapped out memory-card 1 with a second card during the game to save to another card--you can't... i've turned GT4 off in the before racers, middle of races, after races, and what have you... i've done damn near everything you shouldn't do with your PS2/memory-card/USB-drive... and... i haven't had a single incident of corrupted data since i purchased GT4 a few days after it came out...

i see what other people go through, and i can only imagine the horror... but here i am, thinking, "uh--well s**t, why isn't mine *****d then?"... not because i want my data to be corrupted, but because i should be paddling up the creek without a paddle too... what gives?!

Maybe it is a problem only with older PS2 models? Another possibility is how people store their cards. It may be they have a lot of dust, smoke or high humidity in the air. Ever been to Florida? Ugh! It's like a sauna sometimes.

never been to FL, no... i'd suffer from MAD whiplash and a lack of blood flowing to my upper-regions, bro--hahaha... bad enough that my neck is so sore from CA ladies... :dunce:

i've just seen so many people post issues with data corruption and not many cases of similar to mine--just thought to share... đź‘Ť

still confuses the hell out of me, though... i don't exactly take the best care of my memory-cards... i step on them, dust from insense when i--uh, yeah--gets on them, and i think i spilled beverage on one... maybe my system is freakish... :ill:

Back