96th Indianapolis 500 (Full Race post #430)

• Thread starter Earth
  • 434 comments
Sato has guts... nuff said... I would have done the same: Go for it on turn 1... too bad he didn't take it to the house... :indiff:

Still, god win for Dario :)

OMG, the race was amazing, but we have a storm coming in (FL, E coast) and the local news team interrupted the race about 5x issuing cautions, plus the insane amount of commercials, generated some rage on my part:ouch:

Sato made it intense though!

So. Was Honda sandbagging the entire time? Because suddenly they came to life in the race with the quickest laps running more downforce than some of the other cars..

So. Was Honda sandbagging the entire time? Because suddenly they came to life in the race with the quickest laps running more downforce than some of the other cars..

Perhaps that downforce just helped them in the corners.

3 grandstand finishes in a row.

2010 - Conway flips into the catch-fence in turn 4. Dario wins.
2011 - Hildebrand crashes in turn 4 from the lead. Dan wins.
2012 - Sato crashes in turn 1 side-by-side for the lead. Dario wins.

The Indy 500 never fails to amaze.

I know today was Memorial Day but to me a lot of the paint schemes weren't particularly 'memorially' with the stars and stripes of blue, red and white.

To be honest this race had me dying for some milk with butter in it. Isn't that what the first guy who drank milk after winning drank?

I was kinda hoping Sato would have won it there at the end. Just as I was about to tell my wife that I think he's got it, he choked.
:indiff:

Just for fun, I always wondered... what if the Indy 500 winner was lactose intolerant? What does the winner drink then? The traditional wine or champagne? Water? Or what? I didn't have any favorites to win. However, I would have liked to have seen Tony Kannan win this year's race. He still ran pretty good.

JohnBM01
Just for fun, I always wondered... what if the Indy 500 winner was lactose intolerant? What does the winner drink then? The traditional wine or champagne? Water? Or what? I didn't have any favorites to win. However, I would have liked to have seen Tony Kannan win this year's race. He still ran pretty good.

I've thought this too.

Lactose-Free Milk?

All I know is that the winner gets a choice between whole, 2% or skim.

I'm sure they'd make an exception for someone who is lactose intolerant.

Missed the race unfortunately, couldnt get up after Monaco. Anyone know what happened to Wade Cunningham? Went out on lap 42 I see.

Check out the restart at 8:55 in this video. Watching these cars race on this track is truly special. Only Indianapolis and Le Mans are races to me where the cars look so surreal on the track, you can feel the history, and you know that you are watching history in the making. It's just a wonderful feeling

Here is a picture of the restart, just insane

restart.jpg

Earth mate, I'd suggest you to remove the "D. Franchitti 3x champion" from the thread title because there is a potential for a spoiler. There may be others who have yet to watch the race ;)

Was I the only one who was reminded of Wheldon's crash from the angle Conway's car went towards the catch fencing? I held my breath for a couple seconds until I saw both of them moving.

Was I the only one who was reminded of Wheldon's crash from the angle Conway's car went towards the catch fencing?

You weren't mate. When that suddenly appeared on the TV screen, I was like.. "Oh 🤬!" but when both drivers were out of the car, I went "Thank God!"...

When I looked at the top of the tub of Conway's car, I think there weren't any big damage so I think these new cars are pretty sturdy.

I would imagine that if I were lactose intolerant and won the Indy 500 that I could really care less that I was lactose intolerant because I just won the Indy 500. In other words, I'd still drink it.

The drink milk thing look so weird here in Europe

Is it a Indianapolis 500 tradition? Why they don't use champagne? Milk sponsor?

Great race though, replica just finished here on Sky HD.

The drink milk thing look so weird here in Europe

Is it a Indianapolis 500 tradition? Why they don't use champagne? Milk sponsor?

Bit of both. First a couple of drivers started drinking it then some milk company saw the opportunity and since then its become tradition/long term sponsorship deal.
To be honest, I can understand it from a tradition perspective but really couldn't care less if a driver chooses not to drink or drink something else. Its not as if everyone who has won the Indy 500 has drunk the milk, so hence I don't see why its such an outrage not to do it if a driver chooses not to. Surely this should be the least important thing of the entire month but because it happens at the most memorable moment, people give it a lot of importance.

What Fittipaldi did for instance is kind of fair - replace one sponsorship with another.

Would any of us be outraged at someone refusing to drink/spray champagne on the podium? Its not really the same deal as its more common but it is just a drink advertising a certain company.

Perhaps I'm also not a fan of "you must do this because its tradition". It should be up to the driver whether he chooses to continue tradition and enjoy it or not. It shouldn't be a negative if he chooses not to. Its bordering on a rule than a simple tradition to some people I feel.

Been looking at comments on YouTube about the various incidents throughout the 500, I don't want to start anything up again or drag any of that crap here, but just take a peak at all the comments, especially the Dario vs Takuma incident and the less popular Marco vs Oriol incident. Most of them have no idea what they're talking about and need to open their eyes... It's so pathetic it's funny. Check it out.

Back