979PP Red Bull Fan Car 1 Lap Time Trial: Circuito de la Sierra

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 177 comments
Day 1 - Finished only about 50% of the Track
Day 2 - Finally a fully Lap = 5:49:184 (Bronze)
Day 3 - Finished only about 50% of the Track
Day 4 - My second fully Lap = 5:28:857 (Silver)

50 Minutes later (same Day) I finished my third lap = 5:24:955 (Gold)

As People said before, this is possible and you Need to stay focused and not to give up so quickly. I spent around 14 hours of total gaming and I drove around 2500 km for this event with a lot of crashing and bumping, but this doesn't matter.

I realized that even with only 3 clean laps and lots of crashing and bumping, you can train the first part which you have to do more and more because of the crashing and bumping. On my first clean lap I needed around 3 Minutes to get 50% of the lap. So after more and more Training, I got a 2:40 Min for the same Position on my 2nd and 3rd clean lap.

So I changed only a little with my driving style for the other 50% and after the 3rd lap it was enough to get Gold and I can tell you my 2nd part of the Gold lap Looks horrible where you can see my nervous driving style with too much braking and over/understeering (and all this with the DS3).

To drive in Arcade Mode helps too so you get a feel where you make mistakes. Even with mistakes, I got a Gold time.

cmt
This is exactly what I did too so I could learn the track and the car. Didn't like the X2014 so am using the X2011 with everything standard except power down to 50% and speed to min (249mph I think). Once I got in a couple of clean laps I worked my way to Bronze and now just off Silver with power up to 60% and speed at 280mph. Need to increase the power again though I think, although it will make the wet section trickier!
So I've now completed the Silver level with a 5m32.914s lap using the X2014 Fan car at 75% power, speed limited to 255mph and Intermediate (wet) tyres. Everything else is standard, i.e. suspension settings, gear ratios and wing/aero. Just got to find a way to trim another 8 seconds by getting used to more power or greater speeds...

Last edited:
Went back to this after several days of not going near it and, on the very first lap, finally managed to complete a lap at 100% power!! The annoying part is that it was a 36.5..only 1.5 seconds off silver!! Then, after 20 minutes of not getting beyond sector 3, I managed to get to the start of the final sector 10 seconds ahead of my ghost...and then hit the inside wall on the next corner :banghead: Given how slow I had run the final sector in the 36.5 lap, it was possible I may just have got the gold time, expecially as the almost complete lap had heavier rain (not sure what % it got up to but it was still raining half a sector later than normal). Oh well, at least I now know that the gold time is definitely possible to achieve...next time I run I am probably going to try reducing the rear downforce to 1500 or so (currently have it at 1750)

cmt
So I've now completed the Silver level with a 5m32.914s lap using the X2014 Fan car at 75% power, speed limited to 255mph and Intermediate (wet) tyres. Everything else is standard, i.e. suspension settings, gear ratios and wing/aero. Just got to find a way to trim another 8 seconds by getting used to more power or greater speeds...
OK so got my Gold (5m22.944s) and on to another Seasonal challenge now... Ended up with power limited to 1000bhp (83.9%), speed limited to 261mph and Race Hard tyres. Total 375 miles from all free runs and Time Trial attempts. Job done!

5:31,xxx in a X2010 S. Vettel with lots of rain. Not bad and at least it's silver. Is the X2014 Fan Car so much better?
Yes, it's much better, it doesn't need that much power and it goes just as fast on the straight but is much more controllable in the corners due to improved aerodynamics and more powerful fan.
I've managed to get 4:27,124 with X2014. Almost a minute faster than gold. Try it and you won't regret it.

Tried again last night and after about 35 restarts I decided to slow down a little and finish a lap. Finished within .5 seconds of my only other completed lap which was 3 seconds short of silver.

Thanks PD. I'd totally forgotten why I hate these "cars", but now I remember. So for the first time since the release of the game, I'm gonna miss out on the paintchips. It isn't worth it. Good luck to the rest of you though.

Finally won gold in this 🤬 time trial. 5:22,921 in the X2014. 500.000 credits spent for repairs and only 5 laps completed. I will not try this challenge again, because i think i can hardly improve my laptimes.

Day 1 - Finished only about 50% of the Track
Day 2 - Finally a fully Lap = 5:49:184 (Bronze)
Day 3 - Finished only about 50% of the Track
Day 4 - My second fully Lap = 5:28:857 (Silver)

50 Minutes later (same Day) I finished my third lap = 5:24:955 (Gold)

As People said before, this is possible and you Need to stay focused and not to give up so quickly. I spent around 14 hours of total gaming and I drove around 2500 km for this event with a lot of crashing and bumping, but this doesn't matter.

I realized that even with only 3 clean laps and lots of crashing and bumping, you can train the first part which you have to do more and more because of the crashing and bumping. On my first clean lap I needed around 3 Minutes to get 50% of the lap. So after more and more Training, I got a 2:40 Min for the same Position on my 2nd and 3rd clean lap.

So I changed only a little with my driving style for the other 50% and after the 3rd lap it was enough to get Gold and I can tell you my 2nd part of the Gold lap Looks horrible where you can see my nervous driving style with too much braking and over/understeering (and all this with the DS3).

To drive in Arcade Mode helps too so you get a feel where you make mistakes. Even with mistakes, I got a Gold time.
:eek:

i dont get it, this wasnt that hard to me, it was irritating due to having to restart at every mistake instead of just having the red timer to continue practicing the lap, but it's the same difficulty as every other event & certainly easier than the expert Aspec race challenges, the course itself is easier & smoother than nurburg

do people not play twitchy games or rally?

i dont even like wheels, i'm on a DS3 but even a keyboard would be ok (been sim racing on keyboard for 2 decades)

i had to lower steering sensitivity from max 7 to 6, TC is at 5 always (except rally)

the biggest tip that even i have to remind myself of is to drive slower than the limit then pick up the pace as you practice, you need to know how fast your relatively casual lap time is & how the car feels without falling off the track

Day 1: made it through 1 quadrant
Day 2: made it through 2 quadrants
Day 3: finished a lap, 4:54.939

Almost 2200 km driven, one lap completed and it was good enough to put me top 300 on the leaderboard, so I'm happy.

As was mentioned earlier, you end up getting a lot of practice with the early portions of the track, so up until turn 27 (apart from turn 21, which I couldn't be bothered to perfect) I drove at 100%. From T27 on, I took the slow corners conservatively and from T32 on, I took the fast corners conservatively too. T38 was as far as I had gotten before my completed lap, so I was driving with my heart in my mouth from that point on.

The only setup changes I used were upping the rear downforce to 1250 and setting the gears as DrAug recommended.

Much unlike the X2010 in GT5's Vettel Challenges, this X2014 is actually fun to drive, once you get a feel for it. The biggest problem I had with it is that the steering seems to be speed-sensitive, even when using a wheel (my trusty ol' DFP). That caused me to smash into the inside barriers on a few low-speed corners, before I learned what to expect.

Last edited:
Finally put a lap together!
4:36.7.. Not bad, but not good either, played it cool the last 10 or so corners, and made quite a few minor mistakes too.

Setup from @DrAug , with LSD 10/5/10, and DF 1000/1350
Btw, mega lap you got there mate! :cheers:
Really great for the first lap! What rain percentage you had? It's really important here, I tried couple of times in new year and I can't get below 40%. I think I'm out of luck

Really great for the first lap! What rain percentage you had? It's really important here, I tried couple of times in new year and I can't get below 40%. I think I'm out of luck
wait, the rain percentage is variable?
Seriously?

I think I hit something like 46% at most...

wait, the rain percentage is variable?
Seriously?

I think I hit something like 46% at most...
Yes, unfortunately it is. It's really stupid. Great time in heavy rain!

When you're out on track try to see how much rain you have and when its low, I will recommend to slightly lower the downfore

Yes, unfortunately it is. It's really stupid. Great time in heavy rain!

When you're out on track try to see how much rain you have and when its low, I will recommend to slightly lower the downfore
Wow, how stupid. I guess I'll have to do another lap and see if I can get less rain. thanks for the heads up!

I think the rain level that I have seen ranges between 37% and 40%. I've not really had a problem with the rain because I drive so slow anyway ;)

Finally broke through the 5:25 gold barrier and hit 5:24.79 last night.

Wow, getting Gold was hard (5:23 and 4,777th with two days to go). It was an anticlimax in the end, because I knew I could do it, getting far ahead of my ghost time, then screwing it up at some new place...

Praiano's tune improved my time by 30 seconds, and the rest was done with Intermediates, max front downforce, no rear downforce, and all aids except TC (at 73 I need all the help I can get) and a wheel. This was harder than the Tomahawk thing, which even I did in the end!

I marvel that the fastest time is a whole minute faster than mine. How is it possible? Amazing!

To those who quit in disgust, or who said it is impossible: KEEP TRYING! You CAN do it! If a 73 year-old geezer can do it, you can too!

Last edited by a moderator:
So we have made it to the end, I hope everyone achieved their goals, even though we had this rain that was changing from day to day. I'm really happy that I have secured my 2nd place but in the same time disappointed by this rain because yesterday I tried to improve and I really could (I was 1 second faster than my best lap's time after 1 minute) but unfortunately I had heavy rain. There could be rain in this event but not changeable, I mean everybody should have the same peak level of it, for example 50%. By doing that everyone would have the same chances in the event.
Congratulations to @DrAug for his enormous lap!

Thanks for your time reading it and I hope you have a splendid day!

1452781968057-198779929.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back