A Desperate Plea for Tourist Trophy 2

I hope any Gran Turismo game gets a remaster. This includes Tourist Trophy. I also hope TT2 comes into existence one day.

The old Moto GP on PS2 was made by Namco ( MotoGP4 was the last one - which was okay ). The physics guy from 1999 WSBK did made Ride ( the 1st one ), not sure if he's on the 2nd and 3rd. Based on the older games, I guess the new ones by Milestone may be okay. Anyone here ever played GP500 and the newer bike games ? I wonder how well GP500 aged vs the new ones.

I'm on hiatus from GTS, I just don't like the way the game presented :(, for tuning the only input I can give is to not go overboard when tuning, I see a lot of tuners here generally ran very high damping ( 90+% which is not always needed ) on extension/rebound - often same front/rear :crazy:, relying too much on ride height ( nose up/down ) and natural frequency at inappropriate level/balance.

I may come back on the next GT, depends on what kind of GT it will be though.

Yeah tuning is definitely simplified in GTS. The adjustment range for suspension is also much narrower than before, and for the most part small adjustments are all that's needed I find (not that I'm an expert in the first place :P). I feel like with the next GT, PD will still focus on esports but just build an old school GT collector style game around it. Anyway, hope to see you around sometime :)

I really think a bike pack for a GT game is still the way forward for PD to revisit the TT formula. Hopefully they are still working on this; I mean, there was no reason for B-Spec bobs to need to "cancel wheelies" in GT6, was there? But it was written into the game engine...

Thanks for the impressions. I have to say the bikes feel lively enough for me in DC already, I can't imagine how much of a handful a proper sim like TT is! Bike wobble especially feels so convincing in DC (and nerve wracking), I can't imagine what riders in real life feel when getting them at TT IOM :scared:

TT is not really a handful, it is one of the most natural sims out there. There are plenty of aids, just like in GT4, which it's based on. You do have to get used to the bike controls, though, setting up turns in advance and being smooth, start slow etc.

"Wobble" is very unnerving on a real bike, because there's always that thought in the back of your mind that you might provoke a tank slapper. Racers really impress me with their ability to ride through almost anything, especially those unhinged road racers. But the same is true of circuit racers; Marco Melandri, for instance, sets his bike up so it's very twitchy to suit his style, but it has consequences at speed...

I think the sounds are ok, but then again I don't know how most of these bikes sound :lol: I like the Kawasaki H2R with its turbo BOV sound, it's just so brutal. What I find weird though is EBR bikes have this strange whining sound when you brake, almost like the sound LMP1 hybrids make when recharging their batteries :odd:

They are just a bit thin and sound rushed or badly recorded. RIDE 3 is much better if you get the chance to compare. You can't get away with one sound source for bikes. The EBR sample set is probably exhibiting dyno noise! The H2 is supercharged ;) A second wave of turbo bikes is imminent, though.

Good point regarding onboard camera. I cannot for the life of me stomach the onboard camera with bikes. Probably because I'm not used leaning my head AGAINST the turn, but also it just wobbles so much during transitions. I never noticed how smooth and predictable TT's onboard camera is.

That camera and the rider animation that drives it (to an extent) is the single reason for TT's playability and authentic feel. It is a true marvel of player-in-the-loop systems design. Feedback is everything, and PD just nailed it with that (aspect of the) game.

Many people can't get on with the first-person leaning, and the exterior views often more clearly show your trajectory, especially if you're not used to inferring it from parallax alone.

How does the new TT IOM game compare to Ride 3? I assume those two are probably the "best" bike games atm. I've heard terrible things about MotoGP/SBK games :lol:

TT IOM has serious handling flaws, to do with the tyre model. It's worse than TT's (by PD) tyre model issues, mainly because it is far less avoidable and occurs under braking as well as under power, and the tyres simply will not re-grip until the bike is arrow straight. In TT it is just under power, and the insane flywheel effect of the drivetrain sustains it, otherwise the tyre model usually gets a grip again.

The sense of speed and the circuits themselves are sublime, though. It has low-speed steering issues like a lot of bike sims.

I have fond memories of SBK 2000, and other early Milestone games, but I haven't played them since they came out, really. I haven't played a MotoGP game in over a decade, so I don't know about their current state. I never did try GP500, or that other (now classic) Isle of Man game people are fond of.

RIDE 3 is a little rough (I think Milestone are rushing games out as fast as they can), but it's steadily been getting better with each iteration. It is the most playable in the series, for sure, despite some weird control issues like excessive deadzones and hidden aids.

Nothing worse than hidden aids. Although it's quite hypocritical of me to say that, being a DS4 GTSport player.

But really, why are we discussing "hidden" aids. Jets can't fly without computer control. And, let's face it, anything that is 'fly by wire" including a real car (fly by wire steering, fly by wire throttle) and including the steering wheel set ups, have some type of intermediary that determines what input the vehicle gets. It's an illusion that the choice is completely yours without computer assistance.

I'm actually super surprised that there hasn't been a TT2. With the latest gen of this game, a new TT would be amazeballs. The other games are simply garbage, which is likely why the genre is so unpopular. Milestone is pretty much the only developer that does these things half decently and they are still grossly lacking.

I'd kill for another TT

Last edited:
Really difficult i think.
But in this gen already exist, Moto GP, Ride and Drive Club bikes that last one present best graphics and sounds but very arcade.
but in the PS2 the offer is more opened, Riding Spirits, Super Bikes Riding challenge, SBK, Moto GP and Tourist Trophy.

And in PS3 some demo for GT HD included bikes?

RIDE 3 generally has much better sounds than the bikes in Driveclub; RIDE 2 was only slightly better - the original was definitely no better even at its best.

There are a few off road games available (most of them made by Milestone as well), and the odd arcade stunt-a-thon with quads / ATVs and the like. Perhaps there are fewer now than in the past. I haven't seen a powerboat game, sim or arcade, in ages, come to think on it...

And, yep, PD once did mix cars and bikes in a show floor demo. Once. People didn't like it, for reasons that are now (in hindsight, with the benefit of years of discussion) quite clearly irrational.

As for hidden aids, I maintain that there is a significant difference between true hidden aids and what I would call input filtering. The latter is applied to all controls. Of course, aids could be said to filter out "erroneous" inputs. Now, don't ask me to draw the line between them, because it probably depends on how badly I'm losing...

And, yep, PD once did mix cars and bikes in a show floor demo. Once. People didn't like it, for reasons that are now (in hindsight, with the benefit of years of discussion) quite clearly irrational.

The final Project Gotham mixed cars and bikes and it was super cool. I loved that game.

They could add bikes and make them their own specific N class. Like a BN class or something. Then people who want to segregate the bikes can.

While not entirely related to a next-gen TT, I actually had this thought the other day:

What if one day, we were all refreshing our browser on Yamauchi-san's Twitter account for the usual "new car silhouettes", only to find out that one of the silhouettes is actually a bike...

I tried TT for the first time a few days ago and also Ride for PS3, despite TT's flaws such as a sort of perma TCS, I really like the sense of weight it gives, Ride in full sim mode wasn't enjoyable to me, the bikes turn too quickly, feels like a weird mix of arcadey and sim.

I haven't checked if MotoGP are doing eSports, but PD putting something like that together, for GT_, would be another game changer.

currently i'm back with TT on PS2 and it still my most favourite racing bike game. drive club bikes been there done that okay liking it, TT IOM meh, ride 2 okay lah but nowhere near TT in terms of handling but physics are good. haven't touched newest RiDE game but came from what i read, it's still far from TT but better than previous iterations. TT2 might still a dream anyway but like Aerosmith says, Dream On.

Latest Posts

Back