A First Look at Spa-Francorchamps in GT Sport

Unfortunately, no. Now, here's come the "Muuuuuh, Spa is overrated, 'just fun with big downforce cars ! now bring back muh club track at 20 miles home" hate train.

The consensus is the next track that everyone wants is Silverstone.

The reality is that few people want it, not even the English contingent here but its an institution so we're going to ask for it hoping secretly it doesnt come.

The reality is that few people want it, not even the English contingent here but its an institution so we're going to ask for it hoping secretly it doesnt come.
I wouldn’t mind Silverstone as it’s not a bad track but it’s not top of the list for me. I’d rather have a North American track next but if we were to go European again then I’d love Zolder.

My only criticism, if you can call it that, is that if they use this track in sport mode they need to have longer races.
It's a pretty long lap in real life. Around 2:20.000 in a GT3 car. Mount Panorama is about 2:00.000 in a GT3 car.

So, it'll probably be the standard 3-4 laps in Race B and about 7(?) laps in Race C.

Have got to say, although I have raced this track to death in many games already, it is looking pretty stunning in GTS. Cannot wait to give it a try for myself.

Shows how we're all different and give PD a b****r of a job trying to please us all.
For me Spa is pretty good, but I'd much rather have Silverstone.
Poor old Kaz... :cool:

I'd attribute that to a physics difference more than track scanning.
So do I,

and on the subject of scanning.

The pointcloud gethered with laserscanners are gicantic to get to a wireframe we all know from dev promotional pictures you'll have to elimentae loads f them. there goes a lot of detail right there. furher more there is the point of all other influenses like the gps receivers and IMU's (to counter the heave, pitch and roll of the car) so it would be close to impossible to get an exact replica with every bumb and dip in the surface. or at least not for a resonble amount of cash and/or data size.

Ofcource I'm not all knowing but I've been working with 3D scanners for years now both as a operator and as a customer support engineer for a company who sells them.
Interesting fact we've been in contact with slightly mad studio's on doing some laserscanning for them.
Sadly that did not fall through. :D:D

I suggest you to take a look at other games and compare. Compare the Monza that is avaialble in GT and the one that is in Asseto Corsa and Project Cars. In Project Cars one can even feel the bumps.

That has nothing to do with how the track is modeled in the game.

And here there is footage of Poliphony people scanning that Ascari track and Willow Springs:

If it doesn't jump for you, just skip to 20min34s. Or watch it full, either way.

Monza is not laser scanned in PC2. Source.

So... looks like the bumps @Divaldo are praising are not only no laser scanned at all but they are... fake? Fictional bumps?

Last edited:
So do I,

and on the subject of scanning.

The pointcloud gethered with laserscanners are gicantic to get to a wireframe we all know from dev promotional pictures you'll have to elimentae loads f them. there goes a lot of detail right there. furher more there is the point of all other influenses like the gps receivers and IMU's (to counter the heave, pitch and roll of the car) so it would be close to impossible to get an exact replica with every bumb and dip in the surface. or at least not for a resonble amount of cash and/or data size.

Ofcource I'm not all knowing but I've been working with 3D scanners for years now both as a operator and as a customer support engineer for a company who sells them.
Interesting fact we've been in contact with slightly mad studio's on doing some laserscanning for them.
Sadly that did not fall through. :D:D
Yep, agreed.

And of course, 'laser scanning' isn't some sort of one touch operation where you push a button and all scans are equal.
There are parameters that can be set.
You could set a scanner on a tripod infront of an object and set wide parameters and scan it in 10 minutes.
Or close up the parameters and take 4 hours to scan the same object.
Obviously you get many, many times more points and the accuracy is increased, but time in the field and time in the office, along with processing and file sizes are also greatly increased.
It's a balance.

But 'bumps' really aren't an indicator if a tracks been scanned or not.
I mean PD could have made the surface of Dragon Trail bumpy, but clearly that hasn't been scanned.

The more likely things that show if a track has been scanned are the accuracies in the well defined things in the point cloud.
Things like the geometry/layout of the track, up and down gradients over the landscape, track width, track camber, track furniture such as kerbs and their location and dimensions, track side objects, etc.

Undulations and bumps on the track surface are nowhere near as well defined, and for multiple reasons (mainly courtesy of it being small scale height variations) can easily be lost during either recording or processing.

That's not to say it can't be done, but bumps or no bumps isn't necessarily an indicator of scanned or not scanned.

I laughed hard when I suddenly remembered that this thread existed yet the track didn't come out for this month's update. :lol:

That has nothing to do with how the track is modeled in the game.

And here there is footage of Poliphony people scanning that Ascari track and Willow Springs:

If it doesn't jump for you, just skip to 20min34s. Or watch it full, either way.

So... looks like the bumps @Divaldo are praising are not only no laser scanned at all but they are... fake? Fictional bumps?

If Kaz needs a lawyer, I´, going to appoint you (lol)

Back