A light-hearted look at GT2

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 44 comments
BMW doesn't like custom rims on their cars, yet are quite happy to be included in later NFSs and get riced-out.

Cars can get their internals damaged, but their exteriors stay scratch-free.

Laguna Seca is suspended in space, and the track generates its own gravitational field. The first turn's outer wall is semi-permeable, and the gravel traps are actually asphalt painted to look like gravel.

The Colosseum is octahedral.

A certain Peugeot 306 driver is always cursed at Tahiti.

The Escudo is better than god. Fact.

You can get cars that are built only once multiple times.

Your rear view mirror can detect ghosts.

Washing your car only makes you poorer. It actually does nothing.

Unscrupulous racers could enter low HP races with Vector LMs and GT40s. Bribing couldn't be the reason since no matter how rich you get you couldn't do the same. Rumours has it that they bring "Sharks" to races.

Night at SSR5 (and CSR5 too presumably) only lasts around 2 hours.

Mark Martin's NASCAR only has ~360 horsepower.

The Ford GT90's rear spoiler is stuck.

You need not eat, or pay any bills while in GT Land since your credit never decreases unless you buy something auto-related.

You can suspend time indefinitely. Only entering races will make tomorrow come.

Visiting the quarter mile too much could induce a full-scale Grand Theft Auto operation with your garage as a target.

Last edited:
Yea, THIS is a good topic. :) I'm sure it'll be alive for a good long while. lol.

...Admitting you've taken your car all the way to the race's horsepower limit is akin to admitting you're a complete wuss. :rolleyes:

..99% of gamers never talk about the Suzuki Cultus...they only seem to mention its overkill brother. :ill:

...the Milk Truck lives on!!!

...The KP60 Toyota Starlet could be bought in neon green, even though it was listed as "Jetliner Silver" (see my avatar). :lol:

I noticed some things with GT2:
-The cars aren't already built with ASM or TCS, you have to buy it. (Unlike the later games, and actual cars.)

-(This is something that's impossible to do without a gameshark.) If you go faster and about 630 MPH, you start to travel backwards.

I noticed some things with GT2:
-The cars aren't already built with ASM or TCS, you have to buy it. (Unlike the later games, and actual cars.)

"You have to buy it" is an understatment. We have to buy ASM and TCS for 50,000 cr. EACH!!!!!!!!! And then, do they really work in GT2? :lol: I've noticed marginal effects on really powerful cars, but in most cases, these devices are a huge waste of money! 👎

...Tahiti road course (the track the first Sunday Cup is held at) could have been drawn better if my 5-year old neice had a box of crayons!

-(This is something that's impossible to do without a gameshark.) If you go faster and about 630 MPH, you start to travel backwards.

You're lucky: in Italian version, you can't go faster than 630km/h (only 391mph): if you do so, you start going backwards and frontwards (actually the speedometer goes crazy, just inventing speed value) before you crash into something... there must be something in the game which prevents you from reaching 700:
my personal interpretation: Speed-value is seen by PSX as a 16 bit value: max is 65535. The value displayed is 1/100 of the speed value as the game sees it (If you're going at 300, actually the value is 30000, so 300.00km/h). When you go faster than 655, so faster than 655.35, the processor simply can't handle it and goes crazy (probably speed becomes negative and you start going backwards).

The strange thing is that in GT1 you could actually go as fast as you wanted, so I always wondered why did they change this.

Unscrupulous racers could enter low HP races with Vector LMs and GT40s. Bribing couldn't be the reason since no matter how rich you get you couldn't do the same. Rumours has it that they bring "Sharks" to races.

Well, it may be a 180+ A-spec points race. :boggled:

...The KP60 Toyota Starlet could be bought in neon green, even though it was listed as "Jetliner Silver" (see my avatar). :lol:

Isn't that the one where it says "Turbo" in the name, but doesn't actually have one? :lol:

You can by breaking out of Motorsports Land or Laguna Seca in a fast enough car and a wheelie trick. I've done it many many times.

"You have to buy it" is an understatment. We have to buy ASM and TCS for 50,000 cr. EACH!!!!!!!!! And then, do they really work in GT2? :lol: I've noticed marginal effects on really powerful cars, but in most cases, these devices are a huge waste of money! 👎

...unless you're driving a Speed 12 or GT90 ;).

I used to always buy ASM and TCS for all my cars though, just for the formality of buying everything at the tuning shop :lol:. Of course I'll take them off at the settings screen afterwards.

On a similar note, I find it odd that Yaw Controller can only be fitted on a small number of 4WD cars. Mainly Evos (and a Prelude <-- another glitch).

...Tahiti road course (the track the first Sunday Cup is held at) could have been drawn better if my 5-year old neice had a box of crayons!

^True, that. The gravel by the roadside does nothing as well, and the asphalt isn't properly "smoothed" on the pitlane entry. The track layout itself is great though; there's a mini Eau Rouge (turn 4-5 IIRC) and the last corner is pure rollercoaster (even in a moderately fast car).

The strange thing is that in GT1 you could actually go as fast as you wanted, so I always wondered why did they change this.

Can you break out of a track in GT1? Or is this hybrid/GS related?

Wierd thing happened to me today in the world of GT2.
So heres my story-
I walk into the ACura delaer and go "Hey, I'm looking for a Integra Type-R"
The dealer points me to one that's at 16K, and I head over to the tuner shop, and shove all the suspension/handling components and a racing muffler.
S I head home with the Integra and head down to Tahiti for the FF Challenge, HP limit at 245BHP. I pull up, and what am I racing?
A group of Ford Ka's, a Ford Puma, and a Dodge Neon ACR.
Of course I creamed em'.
After that I sell the prize for some $$$ and go to Nissan, and he coaxes me into buying a Skyline GT-R Spec V. I head to NISMO with my acquisition, shove everything into the car, and I end with a hefty 774BHP.
I go to the GT500 Championship, and my car can't even keep up with a 500BHP JGTC Supra.
I did win the Cup, though.
Finally, me and the Race-Spec 86' MR2 TSI head to the MR Challenge, 591BHP limit (not much of a limit) and we cream a group of Vector Weiger Twin-Turbo V8s and GT40s. I come to think, a Vector has 630BHP, so how'd it get in?
And that the story of my day in GT2 Simulation Mode.

@Legend-1: You can't drive on Motorsports land in the "simulation mode" CD. I probably forgot to add that in, which is my bad. XD

@Parnelli Bone: Even though ASM and TCS are probably useless, they are automatically put into cars in real life, instead of you having to buy it with your own money. :indiff:

Wierd thing happened to me today in the world of GT2.
So heres my story-
I walk into the ACura delaer and go "Hey, I'm looking for a Integra Type-R"
The dealer points me to one that's at 16K, and I head over to the tuner shop, and shove all the suspension/handling components and a racing muffler.
S I head home with the Integra and head down to Tahiti for the FF Challenge, HP limit at 245BHP. I pull up, and what am I racing?
A group of Ford Ka's, a Ford Puma, and a Dodge Neon ACR.
Of course I creamed em'.
After that I sell the prize for some $$$ and go to Nissan, and he coaxes me into buying a Skyline GT-R Spec V. I head to NISMO with my acquisition, shove everything into the car, and I end with a hefty 774BHP.
I go to the GT500 Championship, and my car can't even keep up with a 500BHP JGTC Supra.
I did win the Cup, though.
Finally, me and the Race-Spec 86' MR2 TSI head to the MR Challenge, 591BHP limit (not much of a limit) and we cream a group of Vector Weiger Twin-Turbo V8s and GT40s. I come to think, a Vector has 630BHP, so how'd it get in?
And that the story of my day in GT2 Simulation Mode.

Although you have more HP in the GT-R, you have less downforce, and more weight. Plus your suspension set-up probably isn't tuned (I'm talking settings here, not the parts upgraded or not). JGTC cars have the opposite of the above, and the GT500 Championship is notorious for being one of the hardest in the game. When driven right, a 774 HP GT-R will overkill the pack. Heck, I used to beat that Championship with a ~360 BP Trueno all the time.

About the Vector, are you sure it's not the M12?

@Legend-1: You can't drive on Motorsports land in the "simulation mode" CD. I probably forgot to add that in, which is my bad. XD

I see lol. No harm done. But you can still break out of Laguna Seca in sim mode though.

If you use some of the fastest cars in the game, the Rome 2 Hour race can be finished in under two hours. It stops after you've done 99 laps.

Conversely, if you get enough of a lead over the AI, you can make that same race take arbitrarily long to finish by waiting before you finish your last lap.
(and the lead doesn't need to be all that much; just 1 lap over entire field I think--that is, once they finish their 2 hours, none of their other laps count).

But running races with a specialized monster hill-climb car with an over-sized wing does look just plain silly.

Daihatsu Midget. No explanation necessary. :boggled:

I imagine whoever designed this vehicle would never have guessed it would wind up in a videogame for any reason whatsoever!

Visiting the quarter mile too much could induce a full-scale Grand Theft Auto operation with your garage as a target.

Yeah I call The Garage Bug Grand Theft Auto. Never got hit with it. Now for the funny thing...

You hit the wall at 200 miles per hour, yet you don't get any damage.

Seattle's Space Needle does appear in GT2 way in the distance at the top of the hill...but with the PS1's graphics it's nothing but just another blob!
Call it the Blob Needle. Or the Space Blob.

Oh and here's another one: The TVR Speed 12 is never raced. It's only cash-cowed.

The Honda Del Sol LM Edition is like seeing a sped up movie even more so than the Espace F1.

...the Venturi Atlantique 300 (a mid-engine/rear-drive car) can accept a carbon driveshaft! :boggled:

Never bothered to find that glitch, but it sounds odd. And BTW, it should be the Dodge Concept Car that has this glitch. Why? Well in reality, the Concept Car is an FR. But GT2 calls it an MR. It can be eqipped with a carbon driveshaft in GT1, as it's an FR there. But not in GT2, even if there could be one exception.

A 1969 Ford GT40 can keep up with and occasionally beat a 98 Nissan R390 and a 99 Toyota GT-One.
Oh yeah well so can a Del Sol.

Last edited:
Seattle's Space Needle does appear in GT2 way in the distance at the top of the hill...but with the PS1's graphics it's nothing but just another blob!

Washing your car only makes you poorer. It actually does nothing.

actually...
i spent over 5 years with the error 1.0 version of GT2 (the graphic on the disk is even faded!), and know it in and out.
the car wash is more or less meant for rally cars. since it was still in the days of "hack your own" cheat devices, i played with the 1.0 coding, I located the memory spot for "dirty". it goes up slowly, but removes the shine from the models (which is positivly annoying in the garage).

actually...
i spent over 5 years with the error 1.0 version of GT2 (the graphic on the disk is even faded!), and know it in and out.
the car wash is more or less meant for rally cars. since it was still in the days of "hack your own" cheat devices, i played with the 1.0 coding, I located the memory spot for "dirty". it goes up slowly, but removes the shine from the models (which is positivly annoying in the garage).

All I know is that in GT1, cars lost their shine a lot faster and alot more thoroughly than in GT2. I have a black Silvia (very first GT1 vehicle) that I've never given a car wash. It looks as if your fingernails would go screeeeee if you ran them along the bodywork! There basically is no poly-shine left on that car...looks kinda bad-ass in a way. :mischievous:

In comparison, I've never washed any of the cars in GT2 (except for maybe a couple initial autos when I first got the game) yet they all still have their shine. That includes cars I've taken off-road. So if there's supposed to be some sort of effect in this game, it's dumbed way down (as you said it 'goes slowly').

...the Venturi Atlantique 300 (a mid-engine/rear-drive car) can accept a carbon driveshaft! :boggled:

...despite being the fabled 'Bi-turbo' model, the Atlantique has about 80 horsepower less than the real-life version.

...you buy a Volkswagen Golf IV V6 after comparing it to other Golf's availeble because it offers a high power of 201 hp.
Once you have bought it and go to garage to take a look it the power has dropped to 147 hp :lol:

Here's some more things I found in GT2:

-Not only one GT-40 can enter the "Historic Sports Car"(295 HP restriction) race, but up to THREE (three, 305 HP cars? WHAT?!) can. I found this out today when I was playing GT2. O_O

-The Lancia Stratos is viewed on the menu of the Lancia dealership, and can be seen in races, but can not be seen in the dealership.

-The Tommy Kaira ZZII seems a little...odd. Was that a concept or something? Because in the later games, the design is different, and is a 4WD car.

-The Toyota PRUIS just seems like a normal car that's just slow. (Even though it's a hybrid)

-Tuning the Mustang may make it sound "ugly".

-The tracks don't have a sun, but are able to have lighting without it.

Here's some more things I found in GT2:

-Not only one GT-40 can enter the "Historic Sports Car"(295 HP restriction) race, but up to THREE (three, 305 HP cars? WHAT?!) can. I found this out today when I was playing GT2. O_O

Wow THEREE? he hee...most I've ever had to deal with was two. :scared: I remember doing an Apricot Hill endurance race with 2 of these monsters on the podium. :scared:

-The Tommy Kaira ZZII seems a little...odd. Was that a concept or something? Because in the later games, the design is different, and is a 4WD car.

This is from the Tommykaira wikipedia page:

The ZZ II was a $90,000 sportcar 2 door coupe production car with a mid mounted tuned RB26DETT (Nissan Skyline GT-R motor) rated at 550 PS (542 hp) with 6pot front and 4pot rear brakes. It also featured front and rear aero diffusers, and a fully built roll cage

Since it was for sale, it couldn't have been just a concept.

And with the Prius, you can't tune it. ANY of it.
No 500hp twin-turbo hybrids for us GT2 players :indiff:

:lol: Yea, my theory has always been that in 1999-2000 (when GT2 was released) the Prius was still a fairly new model, but not well known outside of Japan. Toyota decided to pull strings and get it in the game anyways, more as an effort to promote it than as an actual race car!

I also seem to wonder if you actually can make a 500+horsepower Dodge Intrepid with a drag wing and outrageous scoop. That thing would chew through rubber faster than Jeremy Clarkson in a Veyron with 100mph tires on!

Back