A little help would be a big help!

• Thread starter D-Max
  • 16 comments
Scotland
Ayrshire
Jimmy281090
so I've just been learning how to actually do all these decals etc as it's never taken my fancy but one issue i keep coming across is this on the A's in the image below. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt.
7422571002383599116_0.jpg

That happens when vectorizing the image/text in Inkscape, right? Happens to me as well sometimes, usually it's possible to select just the black part inside the A and delete it.

so I've just been learning how to actually do all these decals etc as it's never taken my fancy but one issue i keep coming across is this on the A's in the image below. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt.
7422571002383599116_0.jpg
In this case...

• Click on the outside part of the A
  • Hold down shift and click on the triangle bit that you want to be see through
  • Go to Path > Combine
  • Go to Object > Fill and Stroke
  • Then click on the red highlighted bit (in image below)
  • Then click on the blue highlighted bit
inkscape.jpg

Thank you! I will give this a bash in a couple of hours and let you know how I get on :) I'd assume Affinity Designer would be pretty much the same way?

Thank you! I will give this a bash in a couple of hours and let you know how I get on :) I'd assume Affinity Designer would be pretty much the same way?
Oh, I don't know. Thought you were using Inkscape.

I’ve been using Affinity Designer for quite a while now, whatever you need, drop whatever questions you need and I’ll do my best to assist.

I’ve been using Affinity Designer for quite a while now, whatever you need, drop whatever questions you need and I’ll do my best to assist.
Thanks. I must ask, Does using Gradients just naturally increase file size or can you do anything about that? I'm trying to make a decal but fear it will exceed 100kb at least haha

I made a test image and it came up Incorrect SVG. Can we not apply Gradients?

Last edited:
@D-Max
Sorry for the very short answer; but I fear gradients made with Affinity doesn’t work in GT Sport. All my efforts has produced a solid black decal.

How do you export your SVGs? I never had that issue.

Thanks. I must ask, Does using Gradients just naturally increase file size or can you do anything about that? I'm trying to make a decal but fear it will exceed 100kb at least haha

I made a test image and it came up Incorrect SVG. Can we not apply Gradients?

Gradients don't particularly cause big file sizes unless whatever editor you're using does a bad job of writing them.. In the case of affinity, I think I'm right in saying it does such a bad job of writing them that they just don't work in GTS at all, irrespective of their size.

I've just tried doing gradients on inkscape and they are all coming out black. any suggestions? I may be missing a valuable step to this as today is my first go on inkscape. These are said files.

EDIT: I've been trying to get this right all day and I just can't work it out. This gradient business is not easy if you don't have a clue!

Attachments

• Blacked out.zip
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
@D-Max,
Merged the posts for you. 👍

I am definitely not one to help when it comes to gradients. I will try one day once I bother to get Inkscape, but I'm satisfied with Affinity Designer and the way I make my decals. I rarely use any gradient decals anyway.

I've just tried doing gradients on inkscape and they are all coming out black. any suggestions? I may be missing a valuable step to this as today is my first go on inkscape. These are said files.

EDIT: I've been trying to get this right all day and I just can't work it out. This gradient business is not easy if you don't have a clue!
You can do linear gradients in inkscape, but rule number 1 is to do nothing after you put the gradient in. Move nothing. Recolour nothing. Resize nothing. Only thing you can do after putting in your gradient is to save.

You can do linear gradients in inkscape, but rule number 1 is to do nothing after you put the gradient in. Move nothing. Recolour nothing. Resize nothing. Only thing you can do after putting in your gradient is to save.
I just done a little bit of copy pasta and resized it. GREAT! haha. I created every one of these flames by tracing and tried it that way. oops I guess
o0800043414207491456.jpg

Sorry to drop in a question. But I just need some clarity when/if I try as well. Does this mean you can only have ONE gradient per decal? Like, you can't have two squares next to each other, for example; one with a straight gradient and one with a 60-degree gradient? (Just a very straightforward example. you get my idea)

Sorry to drop in a question. But I just need some clarity when/if I try as well. Does this mean you can only have ONE gradient per decal? Like, you can't have two squares next to each other, for example; one with a straight gradient and one with a 60-degree gradient? (Just a very straightforward example. you get my idea)
I just drew up a little square, Sized it up, fitted the working area to the square and then added the gradient and saved. GTS still brings it back as a plain black image!

Back