Help please! Decals Change when put on car

Scotland
Scotland
Hi, new here and fairly new to liverly editor.

I've been using inkscape and have kinda worked out removing nodes, background and i seam to be able to get my file size down under 15kb ( sometimes)

However today i uploaded svg files, all uploaded without any problems. when i came to put the decals on the car, 2 out of the 3 were different (in a bad way)

it almost looked like there was extra circes etc that i couldnt see on the uploaded picture nor could i see it when i put the svg back into inkscape.

Any help would be much appreciated..... im also pretty clueless using inkscape....good luck :D

Edit: just re-uploaded them, same issue however the changes/mistake aren't the same as before

@Nuschel01 , @Maninashed . thanks for the replys. I'll upload the files now and have look at the post youve linked when i finish work. I was using the online tool SVGOMG on these files.
Excuse the file names... its the name of the company lol

File 3 from what i can see came out fine. 1 and 2 both had like white circles where there shouldnt be (pretty much over the entire decal) The issues dont seam to display when i open these files, only when on the car.

Attachments

• bawbag1svg.svg
    12.6 KB · Views: 16
  • bawbag2svg.svg
    11.7 KB · Views: 11
  • bawbag3svg.svg
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
@Nuschel01 , @Maninashed . thanks for the replys. I'll upload the files now and have look at the post youve linked when i finish work. I was using the online tool SVGOMG on these files.
Excuse the file names... its the name of the company lol

File 3 from what i can see came out fine. 1 and 2 both had like white circles where there shouldnt be (pretty much over the entire decal) The issues dont seam to display when i open these files, only when on the car.
Ah, the frustrating memories when I started out. It definitely does not help when GTSPORT has it own intolerance's. There are some free floating nodes on their own, these cause problems. The scanning process also makes unneeded duplicate paths. For example the white text nodes are duplicated as holes in the black. If the white text is on top of the black then all the text hole nodes can be deleted.
The main reason I switched to hand tracing was to avoid allot of these issues. Yours are fairly simple, so have done them for you. Tested and working.

The main problem was duplicate nodes. Also don't be afraid to pull your picture apart to see what is going on. You can use the undo to get back where they should be. It seems like there were some accidental duplicates of letters happening as well.
comparison.png

Attachments

• bawbags1.svg
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
  • bawbags2.svg
    4.2 KB · Views: 8
  • bawbags3.svg
    6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@Maninashed , Thanks so much man, really appreciate you taking the time out to do those decals for me. I found the surprise after haha.
Its been a tota headache watching videos etc just to find out what an svg was, hopefully this will take me a little bit further. is your name the same on Turismo?

I did split the image into different sections (un-group), however id already removed the background at this stage and filled the letters white after, i didnt think for a second to make all the circles whole and take away the nodes that make up the outline in black!

Thanks again for everyones replys

@Maninashed , Thanks so much man, really appreciate you taking the time out to do those decals for me. I found the surprise after haha.
Its been a tota headache watching videos etc just to find out what an svg was, hopefully this will take me a little bit further. is your name the same on Turismo?

I did split the image into different sections (un-group), however id already removed the background at this stage and filled the letters white after, i didnt think for a second to make all the circles whole and take away the nodes that make up the outline in black!

Thanks again for everyones replys
You may get some Ideas here.
Quickest way to remove a bunch of holes within a path is to select path and break apart. At this point all the individual paths will have a selection box around each part. Hold down the shift key and click on outer edge, that one selection box should disappear. Can click on a new color to make sure the remaining selection is what you want removed. Then delete all those.
Link to my decal gallery is in my signature below. That will reveal my PSN user name.

@Invisigoth i'm well aware haha, i've been "making" my own decals for a bit, but could never get all the ones i wanted. With these ones i thought they should of been pretty simple to do, so when it didnt work out i had to find out what was going wrong.

I'm 36 so the fact i can take a picture off the net, stick it on a car in a game and not only see it but use it online is pretty sweet to me haha. Hopefully falling down the rabbit hole shouldn't be so painfull now :D

@Maninashed Ive had a go at doing this one after reading through the links and posts again. however it seams to have gaps/missaligned in the design and also the text doesn't seam as sharp.
i broke the paths etc and then rejoined them. Have i not used enough of the layers from the original? or am i missing something else?

Attachments

• bawbag5.svg
    88.9 KB · Views: 9
@Maninashed Ive had a go at doing this one after reading through the links and posts again. however it seams to have gaps/missaligned in the design and also the text doesn't seam as sharp.
i broke the paths etc and then rejoined them. Have i not used enough of the layers from the original? or am i missing something else?
Hand drawing some of the shapes will be far more efficient than scanning in this case (the ribbon, the circles,...).

Also, with the « text on path » function, you can type words and bend them to fit the circular shape they have on your badge.

Don’t worry, we all started with the basics / scanning / auto-trace, then we learned the useful tricks, here or on Inkscape or Illustrator tutorials.

Hand drawing some of the shapes will be far more efficient than scanning in this case (the ribbon, the circles,...).

Also, with the « text on path » function, you can type words and bend them to fit the circular shape they have on your badge.

Don’t worry, we all started with the basics / scanning / auto-trace, then we learned the useful tricks, here or on Inkscape or Illustrator tutorials.

Hi @Cytoria , When you say hand draw some of the shapes, do you mean i'd auto-trace the image , then use like the shape tool to make the circle etc or use the bezier tool?

I've never used any text tools, so will need to have a look at that, thanks. ive either been trying to move them after ive used "break apart" or use the paint can to fill.

Its all way above my head, be lucky to draw a stick man on paintshop :D

Hi @Cytoria , When you say hand draw some of the shapes, do you mean i'd auto-trace the image , then use like the shape tool to make the circle etc or use the bezier tool?

I've never used any text tools, so will need to have a look at that, thanks. ive either been trying to move them after ive used "break apart" or use the paint can to fill.

Its all way above my head, be lucky to draw a stick man on paintshop :D
Inkscape has circle/oval and square/rectangle tools, among others. May help to watch some YouTube videos for that.
Grab the following file and try the following. I have made all the background for you so it is just the curved text to go. Hopefully you have the courier new font installed on your device.
-Highlight the text KEEPING 'EM TIDY , hold the shift key down and also highlight the upper red arc that I have drawn.
-Use the top menus click [text] then [Put on path]
- click in unused portion of picture so nothing is selected.
- click on your new curved text only and use [path] then [object to path]
- May as well ungroup now click [object] then [ungroup]
- Simplify by clicking [path] then [simplify] . There allot of nodes for this font (courier new, not exact but should be close enough) .
- Combine all the letters click [path] then [combine]
- Repeat with BAWBAGS text and middle red line
- Also with SINCE 2007 and bottom red line.
- Delete the 3 red lines.
- Save
- Run it through SVGOMG to size under 15kb.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Edit: It looks like from what you have been doing with the paint can is actually adding extra copies of letters and shapes rather than changing colors of existing things. I'll try to do a tutorial for this actual decal using the Inkscape scanner and post it in the User Decals thread.

Attachments

• bawbags build.svg
    11.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Inkscape has circle/oval and square/rectangle tools, among others. May help to watch some YouTube videos for that.
Grab the following file and try the following. I have made all the background for you so it is just the curved text to go. Hopefully you have the courier new font installed on your device.
-Highlight the text KEEPING 'EM TIDY , hold the shift key down and also highlight the upper red arc that I have drawn.
-Use the top menus click [text] then [Put on path]
- click in unused portion of picture so nothing is selected.
- click on your new curved text only and use [path] then [object to path]
- May as well ungroup now click [object] then [ungroup]
- Simplify by clicking [path] then [simplify] . There allot of nodes for this font (courier new, not exact but should be close enough) .
- Combine all the letters click [path] then [combine]
- Repeat with BAWBAGS text and middle red line
- Also with SINCE 2007 and bottom red line.
- Delete the 3 red lines.
- Save
- Run it through SVGOMG to size under 15kb.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Thanks, i'm going to write this as i go otherwise i'll forget what im thinking. I'm starting to see its not so much my using Inkscape (although im pretty clueless ) , it's more the building of the puzzle!

I ungropued yours to see how you'd gone about making it up. I would have gone (if going back again to use shape tools) black, blue ,white and red circle, layered on top of each other.
I can see why using the white circle with black border is a far quicker way to achive the same effect, but the blue circle isn't filled this time? Before you mentioned having it like this increases nodes. Is this because inkscape has drawn a vector rather than it tracing something?

The 3 red lines, are these just a standard curve which you've drawn under the original image text as a marker?

I think thats everything, off work today so going to have a try of some more. Thanks again really appreciated.

Edit, how do you get the letters so crisp, i know for this occasion you used inkscape text. On the file you made with everything seperated and the node count showing , your letters were far more defined than the ones i got with scans but still had the correct sizing/ layout, was that a hand trace?

Attachments

• bawbags5.svg
    9.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks, i'm going to write this as i go otherwise i'll forget what im thinking. I'm starting to see its not so much my using Inkscape (although im pretty clueless ) , it's more the building of the puzzle!

I ungropued yours to see how you'd gone about making it up. I would have gone (if going back again to use shape tools) black, blue ,white and red circle, layered on top of each other.
I can see why using the white circle with black border is a far quicker way to achive the same effect, but the blue circle isn't filled this time? Before you mentioned having it like this increases nodes. Is this because inkscape has drawn a vector rather than it tracing something?

The 3 red lines, are these just a standard curve which you've drawn under the original image text as a marker?

I think thats everything, off work today so going to have a try of some more. Thanks again really appreciated.
By using a stroke I saved 4 nodes but it added a stroke definition, so yeah probably more economical size wise the way you were thinking. The blue circle has a hole because the white is underneath it. To look identical you would need black circle, white then blue and another white finishing with the red. A scanned circle can have many nodes while a tool made circle is only 4 nodes when it is converted from object to path. Yes the red lines are just stroke lines that I made underneath the original curved text.

Thanks. Just done this one, bit ruff around the edges but its under file size and i used hand trace and shapes tool.

I will get this haha
Bravo:cheers:, easily under size. A higher resolution base picture would make it a bit easier to trace. You could have opened one of the other decals I made for you and copied the white text, then paste into this one. Resize and rotate to suit. I sometimes can have 3 instances of Inkscape running.

Hi @Maninashed hows things? A while ago you tagged me in a post , where you'd used my design to help other people. I'm trying to get back to it.
Has a Knight, where youv'e shown how to take colours from the different layers. Think it may help me get a couple more decals done.

Cheers

Back